Home

Evander Kane says "criticism is racially motivated"

This is a discussion on Evander Kane says "criticism is racially motivated" within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

OVR: 12
Evander Kane says "criticism is racially motivated"

Quote:
Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane says in a soon-to-be published interview that part of the criticism he receives is racially motivated.
In a story set to be released in the Mar. 4 issue of The Hockey News, the 21-year-old said, "I think a good portion of (criticism) is because I'm black and I'm not afraid to say that."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415919

As somebody from Winnipeg who really doesn't care for the Jets, Kane really needs to shut up while he's still ahead. This guy is easily the dumbest 30 goal scorer in the NHL.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Evander Kane says "criticism is racially motivated"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman55
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415919

As somebody from Winnipeg who really doesn't care for the Jets, Kane really needs to shut up while he's still ahead. This guy is easily the dumbest 30 goal scorer in the NHL.
Why does he need to shut up? maybe he doesn't care to be there and he is trying to force his way out of town.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Midfield Maestro

Ozil's Arena

OVR: 3

Kane's a good player, but he needs to STFU. Racially motivated? No - it's really because during a lockout where people already think you make too much money, posing in Vegas with a wad of cash doesn't really reflect well on you. Then the stupid haircut with Young Money Cash Money Billionaires just adds fuel to the fire.

He's 21, but needs to start growing up and fast
Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
Why does he need to shut up? maybe he doesn't care to be there and he is trying to force his way out of town.
Doubt he wants to leave since he just signed a 6 year deal with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozil
Kane's a good player, but he needs to STFU. Racially motivated? No - it's really because during a lockout where people already think you make too much money, posing in Vegas with a wad of cash doesn't really reflect well on you. Then the stupid haircut with Young Money Cash Money Billionaires just adds fuel to the fire.

I agree with this. However, I doubt Jets' fans care much what he does off the ice nor they care considering he's a great player on the ice. Just like the other Kane in Chicago.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozil

LOL at bashing him for his haircut. So you don't like the guy cuz of a haircut? Too funny man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Midfield Maestro

Ozil's Arena

OVR: 3
It's not the haircut and I do like Kane as a player. I just thought the haircut was stupid that's all combined with his other dumb stuff said that he's done
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
I highly doubt this, as was already mentioned with his contract extension and publicly acting like an idiot probably isn't going to get teams actively trying to acquire him.

Re: His haircut. That was incredibly dumb. I don't care what it says, shaving anything into your head is dumb. Add that on top of his other acts and it's a pretty poor reflection on a 21 year old, 30 goal scorer.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Surprised this thread hasn't been shut down yet, but yes, it wouldn't surprise me if there's an element of racism in some of the criticism directed at Kane and PK Subban. (Good God, the tweets directed at Malcolm Subban after losing in the WJC were horrific.) A significant chunk of the hockey community (media, fans, people directly involved in the game), particularly in Canada, are obsessed with players displaying (often false) humility in public. Flamboyance of any kind is called out, especially if the player in question isn't a good ol' Canadian boy.

There have been legions of drunken brawls and sexual assaults involving players (particularly in the Canadian juniors, where players are BMOC in small towns) that have consistently been downplayed as "boys being boys" (the recent Ian Laperriere/Connor McDavid mini-controversy is a rare example of this getting any media play), yet I'm supposed to be offended because Kane made a Floyd Mayweather joke? Pass.

Sure, Kane's haircut is dumb. So are the haircuts of 30-somethings Ryan Smyth and Mike Smith. I don't recall anyone saying it's a "poor reflection" on their character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »