Home

The Transfer Thread

This is a discussion on The Transfer Thread within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #5321
An Old Trafford

Leon's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: The Transfer Thread

It's quite impressive for Liverpool to sell Sterling for that much. He hasn't done jack **** and yet his fee almost dwarfs a World Cup Winner/Germany Captain/UCL Winner/club legend (Schweini); the top scorer in the Eredivisie (Memphis); as well as Italy's starting RB and voted their best player in 2014 (Matteo Darmian) -- combined. Salary is reportedly 200k/week as well.

If people thought Luke Shaw's transfer fee last year was ridiculous, this is insane. Good on him if he lives up to the price tag, but it's laughable to even consider he's on the same level as a Mesut Ozil or Alexis Sanchez when they were last sold. Heck, Ozil from his Werder Bremen days is way more accomplished than Sterling now. Granted, part of the fee goes to QPR plus the so-called "English Premium" but the point stands.

I can't wait for the next, big, promising 19-year old to be sold for £80m in a few years time -- he'll probably hail from England too.

@nicroni

Last edited by Leon; 07-12-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #5322
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

OVR: 1

Reportedly, Pedro is leaving Barca for Stamford Bridge after the Barca Presidential elections.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #5323
Why Not Us?

The_Wise_One's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan
Reportedly, Pedro is leaving Barca for Stamford Bridge after the Barca Presidential elections.

Source? 10char
Old 07-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #5324
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
It's quite impressive for Liverpool to sell Sterling for that much. He hasn't done jack **** and yet his fee almost dwarfs a World Cup Winner/Germany Captain/UCL Winner/club legend (Schweini); the top scorer in the Eredivisie (Memphis); as well as Italy's starting RB and voted their best player in 2014 (Matteo Darmian) -- combined. Salary is reportedly 200k/week as well.

If people thought Luke Shaw's transfer fee last year was ridiculous, this is insane. Good on him if he lives up to the price tag, but it's laughable to even consider he's on the same level as a Mesut Ozil or Alexis Sanchez when they were last sold. Heck, Ozil from his Werder Bremen days is way more accomplished than Sterling now. Granted, part of the fee goes to QPR plus the so-called "English Premium" but the point stands.

I can't wait for the next, big, promising 19-year old to be sold for £80m in a few years time -- he'll probably hail from England too.

I actually agree with you (shudder) but your comparisons are a little sensationalized. To be fair, you're a United fan talking about a player from likely your two least favorite clubs.

Schweinsteiger was never going to be expensive because he's 31 and physically declining. Depay looks to be a fantastic player, but Jozy Altidore was a top scorer in the Dutch league also. Heck, Bertrand Traore (Chelsea Vitesse loanee) walked into that league as a 17 year old having not yet played a game professionally; and ended up with double digit goals and assists, and was widely regarded as one of the best players in the league (while spending half the season out of position). Point is, I'm not saying Depay isn't going to be fantastic, I think he is, but tearing up a notoriously attack-minded league as an attacker on the best team doesn't make him the second coming of Cristiano. You won't agree with this because you are a United fan; but Sterling has proven himself at a higher level than Depay.

The price tag for Sterling is ridiculous, but we should also remember that, at age 18, he was one of the most exciting players in the league and almost won a league title. He has all the tools and talent to become a world class player.

If anything, this is exactly like Shaw last season. The price tag is a combination of age, potential, being English, and having one season of being one of the best in their position. Even the price is comparable, 30m for Shaw is equally ridiculous to 50m for Sterling. Sterling is an attacker, and those are always more expensive than defenders.

Again, I agree the price tag is too high, but hey City has the money and they could use him so let them spend it.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #5325
Why Not Us?

The_Wise_One's Arena

OVR: 27
The Transfer Thread

Depay held his own in the World Cup if I remember correctly. He's got more potential than Sterling IMO.

There is merit to Sterling playing in the toughest league at a high level (sometimes) and at such a young age, but Depay just seems like more of a polished attacker. He can take free kicks and finish in the 18 much better than Raheem.

Also, Depay was the one quality that many wingers lack when making the PL switch, strength. He's got a muscular frame that will help him adapt to the bigger, faster, stronger defenders. That's what made Sanchez's move to Arsenal so seamless IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #5326
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wise_One
Source? 10char
http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/...42/story.shtml
Old 07-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #5327
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

I'm just worried we'll take the money and buy a striker and a winger when what we really need is some spine in midfield and defense.

Liverpool's new motto: "Well, at least we got a lot of money for him"

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 07-12-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #5328
MVP

Wavebird99's Arena

OVR: 10

I feel like a substantial amount of people do not realize that Sterling's price tag comes with being sold domestically as well. Its not "English teams always overpaying for English players" - City is Liverpool's direct competition, of course theyll ask for a premium.

Regardless, Liverpool got great value on him and should look to spend the money as wisely as possible. I like Ings, but an additional striker will be necessary I think, and I also feel that their defense should be looked at more closely as well. What they shouldnt be doing is looking at any more wingers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »