Home

The Transfer Thread

This is a discussion on The Transfer Thread within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #6017
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: The Transfer Thread

The thing I don't understand is what's their end game? Do they think this is going to snowball into their league becoming a player in the worldwide TV market? Do they think they're going to recoup this insane initial investment?

This has already happened and it didn't work. It was called 1970s NASL.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #6018
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
The thing I don't understand is what's their end game? Do they think this is going to snowball into their league becoming a player in the worldwide TV market? Do they think they're going to recoup this insane initial investment?
Basically, yes they do.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #6019

Suntan Superman's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
This has already happened and it didn't work. It was called 1970s NASL.
I agree in principle, but overall, the world is much different than it was in the 1970s, especially in the entertainment world.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #6020
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I think it's the continuation of China's effort to popularize soccer within and get the most out of a country with over a billion people. It started when the big clubs started making exhibition trips out there and has hastily moved towards what it is today.

Where was this when we had El Nino warming the bench??????
Old 01-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #6021
MVP

Thrash13's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahvocado
We buy lots of players and don't play most of them.

If you meant the bit about the lower level teams: they buy tons of relatively talented players from all over the world, not just Europe. The difference between that and what Chelsea does though, is that these players bought by lower level teams are immediately thrown into usually a crappy club situation in a very unforgiving and mildly violent league. A lot of these players actually come from better teams, or at the very least better situations (say, a top team from a slightly lower level league somewhere else in Europe to a garbage team like West Brom).

Players are quickly labeled flops in the Prem if they don't perform, despite the fact that coaching in general in England is pretty well behind the rest of Europe, and these players are almost never utilized properly. Some young and promising player gets bought by a team desperate to avoid relegation, gets played out of position every other game and then gets injured by some orc from Stoke. Happens all the time.

These lower level teams aren't buying players with any kind of plan, they just have a ton of money and need players that can hopefully save them from relegation or mediocrity. Players like Altidore, Niasse, etc. go from lighting it up to everyone hating them in an instant, it's pretty demoralizing and hard to recover from.

Look how much money teams like Sunderland and Crystal Palace spend on all kinds of players every season. Sunderland outspends half of Europe and still looks absolutely awful every single season. West Ham nearly poached Milan's starting striker despite being objectively inferior to Milan in literally every conceivable capacity, simply because they have so much money.
Great explanation! As an outsider to the situation, I'm a massive Premier League fan. I enjoy watching it more than any other, although I make a really large effort to help MLS exposure as well.

That being said, I'm guessing I'm the American fan the Premier League is targeting. Haha. I love the glitz and glamour the Premier League brings with the great TV deal and crazy money spending on big-name players. And for the most part, I DVR and watch games featuring the top 8 or so teams in the table. I'm trying to be better about that, but I'm still not quite there yet mostly because of time constraints.

Great job explaining that though!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #6022
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Okay, where does Payet end up? Does he go somewhere in January? Stays in England? Back to France?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #6023
An Old Trafford

Leon's Arena

OVR: 16

If he stays in England, I'm pretty sure he'll have enough offers -- like a certain north London club -- since he's proven his ability in the Prem. He could probably excel a bit more in France though.

@nicroni
Old 01-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #6024
MVP

Thrash13's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
Okay, where does Payet end up? Does he go somewhere in January? Stays in England? Back to France?
I think PSG makes the most sense for all involved, but there will be plenty of suitors either way.

I hate when players threaten not to play because they aren't happy for whatever reason. That being said, West Ham will be pretty senseless to let him sit on the bench and collect a ton of money in the process. Take the transfer money and move on.

Edit: Morgan Schneiderlin signed a deal through 2021 with Everton. Seems like a pretty solid under the radar move.

Last edited by Thrash13; 01-12-2017 at 01:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »