Home

NASCAR Heat 3 Impressions

This is a discussion on NASCAR Heat 3 Impressions within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #25
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NASCAR Heat 3 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
I am not doubting you Turbo...but am also playing on a Pro and have literally zero performance issues? Not a single FPS drop or stutter. What performance issues are you noticing?
Not stuttering really, but frame rate drops? Absolutely. Many games I play on the Pro are a steady 60fps, NH3 gets close when I'm leading the pack at Daytona, but that's about it. And I like I said, enabling the rear view mirror is an immediate hit on the frame rate. Also, I've noticed the smaller dirt tracks never come close to 60fps, closer to a constant 30fps.

I dunno, frame rate is just one of those things that really stick out to me. It's a huge deal when I'm playing video games. Hopefully we get a Digital Foundry comparison someday, I'm sure the PC version is capable of much better than what I'm seeing on the PS4 Pro.

EDIT: That's not to say I'm not having fun with the game, there's a lot to like. The new dirt tracks are a blast. Career Mode really is worth playing this year. The lighting looks terrific. You can tell that 704 Games has a lot of passion for the sport. But performance-wise, I'm seeing it exactly the same as NH2.

Also, there are legacy issues that have existed from the beginning of the series. Nothing game-breaking, but having my PSN username listed in the results when I'm racing as Chase Elliott, or seeing name IDs over the other drivers when I realllllly want to turn them off, or seeing static big-screens at Charlotte and Texas, or not having DNFs, or the "insta-fix" damage model, these are all relatively minor issues I was hoping might be addressed by now, especially when many of these features were present in last-gen NASCAR games.

Last edited by Turbojugend; 09-11-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #26
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

Well, I'm done with this game, or at least done with career mode until it's patched. After the final race of the season it just starts giving you messages from your agent about signing contracts for the next year and stuff and if you try backing out, it just takes you back to the game's main menu instead of the career menu so it never gives me the chance to view the final standings of the season. For someone like me who absolutely loves keeping track of statistics to the point of having a massive spreadsheet with tables for each driver keeping track of poles, wins, top 5's, top 10's, and season points finish, this is an absolute game killer for me.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30
Old 09-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #27
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Finally got a chance to play on my PS4 Pro. Unfortunately it is a bit of a letdown, which is to say that NH3 performs pretty much exactly like NH2. When you're leading the pack with no traffic in sight, the frame rate is smooth and steady. However, performance takes a hit whenever multiple cars are in view, and forget about using your rear view mirror. (I'm guessing this also explains why we still have static jumbotrons.)

No 4K, no HDR. Just in case anyone was curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
I am not doubting you Turbo...but am also playing on a Pro and have literally zero performance issues? Not a single FPS drop or stutter. What performance issues are you noticing?

i'm seeing the same things on the X1. Nowhere near as bad as the previous two. It's similar to me as that little glitch that NH2 had, I think when the spotter spoke it would have a tiny freeze/stutter. I think the solution at the time was install on the XB, not an external drive. I'm on an external drive right now, maybe I'll move it and see if that helps. To be clear though, it's not happening when the spotter speaks like in NH2, its random. It's a brief enough little stutter to cause a problem if you're in traffic. I can run with the mirror on, in traffic (things that were issues in the past games) without issues, aside from that brief little hangup that happens once in a while. It happens in traffic, it happens when I'm driving with no body else around either. It's so brief. Doesn't actually feel like a frame rate drop to me, it's almost a split second pause. I feel like it might suffer a bit in traffic, but it's not overly bad to me, it's that little glitch/pause/hangup that gets me.

In a way I'm glad (but not really glad) to hear I'm not the only one who notices it. Was thinking it was just me.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #28
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Not stuttering really, but frame rate drops? Absolutely. Many games I play on the Pro are a steady 60fps, NH3 gets close when I'm leading the pack at Daytona, but that's about it. And I like I said, enabling the rear view mirror is an immediate hit on the frame rate. Also, I've noticed the smaller dirt tracks never come close to 60fps, closer to a constant 30fps.

I dunno, frame rate is just one of those things that really stick out to me. It's a huge deal when I'm playing video games. Hopefully we get a Digital Foundry comparison someday, I'm sure the PC version is capable of much better than what I'm seeing on the PS4 Pro.

EDIT: That's not to say I'm not having fun with the game, there's a lot to like. The new dirt tracks are a blast. Career Mode really is worth playing this year. The lighting looks terrific. You can tell that 704 Games has a lot of passion for the sport. But performance-wise, I'm seeing it exactly the same as NH2.

Also, there are legacy issues that have existed from the beginning of the series. Nothing game-breaking, but having my PSN username listed in the results when I'm racing as Chase Elliott, or seeing name IDs over the other drivers when I realllllly want to turn them off, or seeing static big-screens at Charlotte and Texas, or not having DNFs, or the "insta-fix" damage model, these are all relatively minor issues I was hoping might be addressed by now, especially when many of these features were present in last-gen NASCAR games.

Some good news though, in career mode you do get to input your first and last name now though, it shows up in the standings etc.

It's odd though, because you create your driver, and cars for quick race mode, but theres no name input space, it does use your gamertag still. Career doesn't though, so that's a big plus.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #29
MVP

dave360's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebon5
Actually iRacing released dirt last year for PC that has blown everything ever done out of the water. Still lacking on tracks but it will get there.

Plus there was rFactor that had tons of mods, I even made Dawson County Speedway for it, and they pretty much have every dirt track and car possible.
Yeah I should have been more specific. iRacing is great but no single player modes short of practice. I'll have to give rFactor dirt racing another try for sure.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 18

Can we now choose to skip races in career, either as an owner or driver? I'd like to run a full cup schedule but pick and choose select races to run in trucks and Xfinity. NASCAR Heat 2 did not allow that.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #31
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
The damage model is a joke. All damage is removed as soon as you pit. So don't expect any DNF's even after a car goes flying.

That is the one thing I am waiting for to get back into this series. An advanced realistic damage model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
Can we now choose to skip races in career, either as an owner or driver? I'd like to run a full cup schedule but pick and choose select races to run in trucks and Xfinity. NASCAR Heat 2 did not allow that.
Currently no - but they are looking into adding this option in a future patch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »