Home

ACQB Rules Discussion

This is a discussion on ACQB Rules Discussion within the SFL Online Franchise forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
MVP

TheKingOfVa's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: ACQB Rules Discussion

(A list of possible rules for us based on league feedback)

-No 10-15 step QB drop backs so you can break down the zones
-No clock milking
-Mix up your play calling (don't play action every play or run the same play over and over again)
-Don't go for it on 4th down a bunch of times
-Don't run up the score, if you have a big lead (28 points of more) try to run the ball and burn clock. Also take a QB kneel at the end of the game
-Don't call slants/crossing routes all game/no excessive hot routing of wr's
-Give your opponent time to set up their defense, wait a few seconds before you hike the ball. The exception is if its the last 2 minutes of the half or you're down big and trying to come back

I don't think we need a lot of rules, just a few simple ones
Old 09-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa
(A list of possible rules for us based on league feedback)

-No 10-15 step QB drop backs so you can break down the zones
-No clock milking
-Mix up your play calling (don't play action every play or run the same play over and over again)
-Don't go for it on 4th down a bunch of times
-Don't run up the score, if you have a big lead (28 points of more) try to run the ball and burn clock. Also take a QB kneel at the end of the game
-Don't call slants/crossing routes all game/no excessive hot routing of wr's
-Give your opponent time to set up their defense, wait a few seconds before you hike the ball. The exception is if its the last 2 minutes of the half or you're down big and trying to come back

I don't think we need a lot of rules, just a few simple ones

Disagree totally with allowing your opponent to set up his defense...if it takes that long to be set up it probably shouldn't be done or used…and what sense does it make to give my opponent any more of the advantage that he may already have…
Old 09-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 55
I'll try to post detailed comments tonight, tomorrow, or Saturday.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I think our league settings are fine, and I think there's agreement on that.

I won't respond to the longer list because I'm not sure many of those rules would fly in this context.

I think it should be out of the question to sub players from defense to offense or vice-versa, outside of those goal line packages like Chief and Patriot.

The other substitutions I'm pretty much okay with. OLB to DE doesn't bother me; there's built in risk in most cases for playing out of position. I don't have any issues moving secondary players interchangeably. If someone wants to move a CB to S or vice versa that doesn't bother me since there's once again a built-in penalty for that from a skills/ratings perspective.

Play clock issues are very hard to legislate. There are lots of spots in the game where the offense is given a short clock, like after penalties and the first possession of each drive. Ideally the defense will have a couple of seconds to adjust, but I'm not sure we owe them seven.

Snapping at 20 seconds also seems too quick. If you're a grind it out team, you should be able to grind it out. It's almost necessary to slow the pace of the offense this year. Tazdevil ran it to 3 or less every play and it didn't bother me at all. Sometimes it's also smart to wait longer than normal so you can see the coverage shell and perhaps get the defender to move a little early and reveal his intention.

I am in agreement that the big time dropbacks are annoying and unrealistic. Lots of people add an extra five or ten to the already deep drop unconsciously. That should stop, and I'd really like it for folks to move up and out but not back, unless it's a quick step back to set the screen or avoid the rush long enough to dump it off.

In terms of gameplay, I think we all prefer a robust game plan from our opponents, but it's hard to say: "do this, but not X # of times." I just got blitzed all game and threw way more to the backs than I ever do, so sometimes stuff is just dictated by the defense's approach.

I believe the scouting reports thread will help encourage diversity in playcalling more than any rules will--good looking out there, VA.

With regard to scoring, I'm a score till I stop you type but I typically try to slow it down if I can when the win is clearly mine. I will play aggressively to the end on defense though, win or lose.

The outside of offense to defense subs, the only things I think there should be rules against are the things I'm seeing from the Madden Lab. There are some tricks that I can share that are definitely cheap and may be circulating--I don't know.

I do think the discussion is a worthy one, and I appreciate you taking the time to put this out there and organize our responses.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa

TEAM PLAYBOOKS:

I think you should use anybook you want but for an entire season. Thats our rule anyway tho.

Substitutions

Fine with that

Moves that are allowed via the depth chart.

I dont agree about the LB's and DE's. So many teams switching from 4-3 to 3-4 creates some issues. Look at the Skins IRL. They have Andre Carter at OLB even though he has spent at least six seasons in the NFL at DE.

As for the CB playing S, I do think corners should be able to go back to S as they age. I can think of a few different guys that have done it IRL.

If doing these things cause issues with the game thats different but I dont think they cause issues. Correct me if Im wrong.

If we do allow Team Playbook Changes after season 1, some of you might wish to change team defenses, and doing so might require you to move a DE to LB or vice versa. This will be handled as a case by case basis. Please contact a member of the exec committee in regards to this .

Gameplay
- 7 Minute quarters No
- ALL MADDEN No

Headsets

No issues here aside from the times I cant find it.

Offense

7 Second Rule

Not bad but a little to long IMO.

Clock Milking

Agree

Players in motion

Agree on passing plays.

General Play

Play-action

HB and WR Screens

Agree with the 3 above

QB Drop Backs

I would love for this to be a strict rule.

No-Huddle Offense

Seems fair enough

4th Down attempts

I dont have problems with guys taking a risk and going for it as long as they arent getting 4th and inches and going staight to a FB/QB dive type of play. I wouldnt mind this being a rule but I see the other side.

DEFENSE

Formation Shifts
You may make any and all formation shifts that the game allows you to make. But you may not manually place players in the box or between the DL to create a 8-1-2 defense.

Taking Contol of the Player

Dont agree with this at all. Iv been using my LB more but I still want to be a DL.

Blitzing the QB

Hot Routing-

Fair enough
I bolded my feelings. I know this isnt your list King but I figured since it was a list I would respond to everything. Good job on getting all this talk started.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
Pro

WildcatFan09's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
There is a problem with the LB's at DE. You cannot restrict that when the game itself has LB rush packages in Nickel, Dime and Quarter packages. Also I don't agree with the WR in motion on run plays. If I am running a stretch play and I want a WR to pick up an edge rusher with motion, that should be allowed.

Definitely do not agree with not controlling DL. You should be able to control who you want. People cannot have it both ways. They don't want people controlling DL, but controlling DL is definitely one way to eradicate screen plays. So what you get are guys who want to run screens for big plays, but they don't want people to control DL to stop screens. I rebuke such a rule just for that purpose.

Lastly, if my playbook has a bunch of auto-motion plays and I want to scheme around that I will. Sometimes leagues get too restrictive. That's why I got kicked out of one. I ran auto-motion plays but he wanted to press cover and hold my WR's at the line every play. So because I ran auto-motion I got kicked out. I didn't mind getting kicked out for that. A lot of times rules fit certain individuals and their own play styles and they want everyone to play in their sandbox; when they do, I'm going to call them on it.
Those are the three rules that I thought were not necessary. Everything else looked alright. I agree that some leagues have so many rules it is hard to keep of whether or not a person is breaking them.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
Sideline Football Commish

dubbduces's Arena

OVR: 23

I seen these in the OS vets forum and the whole thing looked interesting to me. Check it out http://www.operationsports.com/forum...gue-rules.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbduces
I seen these in the OS vets forum and the whole thing looked interesting to me. Check it out http://www.operationsports.com/forum...gue-rules.html
like these

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise »