Home

Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

This is a discussion on Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #385
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchiggs
Thats the same thing I do. I guard the PG down the floor and then move off him once the opposing PG settles down for trying to blow past him.
Yeah i'm the same, i'm currently doing an association with Golden State, and control the PG when the ball is being brought down the court, just incase someone other than the PG is bringing the ball down, and try to anticipate the steal if they pass to the PG. Soon as the PG is settled though i'll switch to the defender who is assigned to the best player on the opposing team, say i play Lakers for eg. i'll assign Stephen Jackson (the best defender on my team) to Kobe and try to shut him down and deny him the ball. It also helps if a player on the other team starts getting hot. Works wonders for my defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #386
Banned

OVR: 89
You really had faith in 2k? lol I gave up on them after 2k5
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #387
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Agreed on all points. There are good things about this game, but I can hardly play the actual game anymore... I only run Team-Up these days. Even against good players that I loved playing in previous 2K basketball games, I can hardly stand the game itself long enough to finish a game.. and by the end, I'm pissed off, even if I win.

Defense is by far the most frustrating part of the game.. there's simply nothing you can do to stop people most of the time. Seems like you normally jump a milisecond too early (or late) and the contest makes absolutely no difference, or you time it properly and the ball just clips through your hand/arm and ends up going in (this is especially bad with star players). The drive game is almost as bad, simply because of the clipping issues and the totally ineffective CPU help defense.

There HAS to be a way to contest shots without actually leaving your feet -- that's BASIC basketball, and that's probably the main thing that's really been bugging me about the game this year. At least in previous years, the "proximity defense" would generally make tough shots miss for all but the best players -- now if someone halfway decent is hot, they'll nail everything regardless of how close you are to them. I had a guy hang 65 of 69 points on me with LeBron despite me even resorting to playing off-ball defense with a big man, simply because he got hot via some some bull**** clipping dunks and then was blinking red the rest of the game, just nailing everything including deep threes like the defenders weren't on the court.

It's just inexcusable that the game has suffered such a huge drop-off in basketball IQ this year. It looks pretty, but the core elements are so ****y that it makes all that extra stuff worthless. At least we have regular roster updates now... yee ha.
YOUR AVATAR RULES MAN, TPB FO LIFE!!!! I think the all time teams are tired IMO. Has anybody switched from 2K9 to Live at all? I was just curious what you guys think.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #388
Rookie

OVR: 5

This game is a major disappointment to me as well. Since NBA Live sucks, I've been without a fulfilling basketball game since NBA 2k7.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #389
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
TThe 'contested layup' interaction kicks in based simply on position and you don't have to hit the steal button. You don't have to be moving at all. Simply standing in the way with no input is sometimes the best way to get this thing to work I've found. The steal button makes you lunge into that position sometimes, but does not trigger the interaction itself.
Through trial and error, I found this is the best way to play defense. Just get in the way of the cutter without hitting any button.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #390
Rookie

OVR: 1

I dont know if this will help when defending. I tried everything from on-ball defence to off-ball defence and nothing seemed to work. What I used to do is keep my eye on the attacker in order to react quickly. But my defender would always be all over the place.

Since last week I changed tactics playing mostly on-ball defence. The big difference though is that I don't take my eye of the player I am controlling and not paying much attention to the offencive player I am guarding. This way keeping my eye on the player I am controlling, gives me the time to react when the player goes allover the place. It has worked miracles for me at least.

I play with the bulls association and got Carmelo of a trade. Level allstar. Never play online always association mode. I never used to win at this level now I am winning 4/5 games.

Hope this helps guys!!!

Hope this
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #391
Rookie

OVR: 1

Sorry actually the level is superstar. But I do get wins in Hall of fame also. Normal sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #392
Rookie

OVR: 10

I'll help you all out --- the way I see it.
2k9 is like a pretty *** smart *** chick with bad breath (or stink pum pum) - HD is like her getting dressed up -- heels and all.
You kick it with her, ya love looking at her the fact that she's with you. - overall she's cool as ****
But as soon as you start getting detailed and intimate with her -- whhhhhooooooosh ---wheeeeew --- peeeew ..omg !!!!!
**** damn near hurts your feelings. You're frustrated because if she could just clean up a little - just a little. she'd be a dime.

Now if she was straight busted (nba 09 or other generics) or just average (live) and had these same problems -- you'd probably keep it moving and not think twice --- but damn - the bitch got so much potential - its hard to just walk away. And truth be told --- the *****'s good --- if you can get over that strong odor ..You deal with it until it becomes too much -- ya get frustrated -- tell her you're leaving. But after being out there for a while --- ya say **** it and call your baby back -- hoping she's cleaned up or is at least willing to listen to you this time. Maybe she'll get it right after she goes home and spends some time with her parents -- We'll call her 2k10 when she comes back.

-----------------------
Hence all these threads from cats begging her to just take a shower and brush teeth -- other cats saying they love her just the way she is -- or cats putting giving her deodorant and gum and calling it good (sliders).. this analogy is very elastic -- you can get as deep or as loose as you want with it .. no pun intended.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »