Home

NBA Elite 11 Impressions (Kotaku)

This is a discussion on NBA Elite 11 Impressions (Kotaku) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #17
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: NBA Elite 11 Impressions (Kotaku)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadleft
I'm not sure what my tone is! At least not the one you're referring to.
The tone in your posts seems to be "Assume the worst, hope for the best".

Quote:
I am a huge Live fan! I don't even play 2K, I've done so twice 2007 & 2009. I don't have an agenda. I am not against the shot stick.
Don't care. We're not talking about agendas or which game anyone likes more. We're only talking about basketball games.

Quote:
I believe the reason EA brought in guys from the community is to get comments and impressions early enough to be able to make changes, in turn I think expressing concerns here gets them seen also for the same reason. I think blindly doing anything would be turning against the proven track record that EA has and assuming that this time it'll be done right.
Except you're expressing a concern that has been touched on in multiple threads by people who played the (alpha copy) game. I won't touch on "proven track record".

Quote:
Although I've answered why I don't think "wait and see" is the right move. Would someone from the wait and see crowd please explain to me what to do on a discussion board while you're waiting to see?
Discuss. Discuss what we've been shown, Discuss what you'd like to see, Discuss how things could be better. I'm all for expressing concerns and discussion about closing the realism gap between playing ball and playing ball. I just don't understand the negativity because of a perceived track record.

Last edited by Tha_Kid; 06-16-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Bad link in the first post of this thread.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #19
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I'm not sure what my tone is! At least not the one you're referring to. I usually post long drawn out comments so that reading between the lines is not needed and my point is clear. That said here it is short and sweet. I am a huge Live fan! I don't even play 2K, I've done so twice 2007 & 2009. I don't have an agenda. I am not against the shot stick. I believe the reason EA brought in guys from the community is to get comments and impressions early enough to be able to make changes, in turn I think expressing concerns here gets them seen also for the same reason. I think blindly doing anything would be turning against the proven track record that EA has and assuming that this time it'll be done right.

Jano we're not far apart, I am just harping on lets not go way over to the stick skills side and forget that this is basketball. When I was a kid there was a little game of table top basketball that had a vibrating court with holes in it. Inside the holes were these little spring loaded "shooters". The object was that as the ball rolled around and fell into one of these holes you had to trigger the shooter (kinda like pinball) to shoot the ball into the basket from that spot (the location of the hole). It required skill (lots of it) but not much basketball knowledge. I don't want to play that game anymore, you get my drift, LOL

Although I've answered why I don't think "wait and see" is the right move. Would someone from the wait and see crowd please explain to me what to do on a discussion board while you're waiting to see?
You are doing a great job explaining your points load and I certainly see your points, I just don't know if I can agree with them entirely. To be good at any video game, stick skills are a huge requirement regarding being successful in the long run and it will probably always be that way. No matter what game you play (StreetFighter 4, COD, HALO, Madden, killzone, etc) how good you are on the sticks will usually play a huge part in whether you win or lose. These are in the long run just games that operate off of user input.

As in a football game like Madden, if you are good at calling your offensive plays but don't know how to put the right amount of touch on your pass attempts or use jukes, spins, etc you may not be as successful as you'd hope-no matter your knowledge. If you want BBALL knowledge to ultimately decide success, the only option is to get people to play coach mode with you where stick skills aren't pivotal to wins and losses. IMO their shot stick is just another way for users to seperate themselves from other users in the skill department.

If someone were to take the time to practice Rondo's jumpshot in practice mode and get down his timing and release to a science he should be able to hit that mid range more often if you leave him wide open. This doesn't mean he will hit like Kobe Bryant just that he may be more successful with him than someone else who doesn't put the time in with Rondo. I've seen games where Rondo has hit a fair amount of his mid range shots, the difference is that he isn't consistent. Those real life games where he is consistent could represent those moments where he is focused and shooting in rhythm.

I've always felt that if these hoop games want to ensure that knowledge plays an equal part in success (ex:running plays) I feel that players who run and complete plays should get an ever so slight upgrade in chance % of shots going in compared to the iso monster who attempts to give it to Kobe everytime down and runs no semblance of an offense.

Great posts by everyone here
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 06-16-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #20
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

First post links haven't been working for me as well.

Re-reading the link, it sounds like something you really need to get your hands on to grasp how well it will work (Surprising, I know). Would be nice to get a writeup from a sports gaming site or just some random impressions from people at E3 but i haven't found anything. Elite 11's website says you can see the game at their booth though.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #21
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I've always felt that if these hoop games want to ensure that knowledge plays an equal part in success (ex:running plays) I feel that players who run and complete plays should get an ever so slight upgrade in chance % of shots going in compared to the iso monster who attempts to give it to Kobe everytime down and runs no semblance of an offense.

I was actually thinking the same thing when I first read Jano & loadleft's posts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 19

After its all said and done, i dont see much of a difference between the jumpshooting in this and whats its been previously.

- You have to time the release

- Its more forgiving with a better shooter

- Defense is a factor ( as it should be)
Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #23
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

Jano we're not far apart, I am just harping on lets not go way over to the stick skills side and forget that this is basketball. When I was a kid there was a little game of table top basketball that had a vibrating court with holes in it. Inside the holes were these little spring loaded "shooters". The object was that as the ball rolled around and fell into one of these holes you had to trigger the shooter (kinda like pinball) to shoot the ball into the basket from that spot (the location of the hole). It required skill (lots of it) but not much basketball knowledge. I don't want to play that game anymore, you get my drift, LOL
Lol! I get you man that's why I'm hoping these guys at EA make sure that shooting in this game does require some knowledge of the player along with skills on the stick.

If someone is stupid enough to start jacking 3's with Shaq or shooting fadeaways 3's with Kwame Brown I'd like to HOPE that just like irl that is extremely difficult shot to settle for.

Those types of shots especially with players that have no business out there should be damn near impossible to time. And even if the player has the ability to shoot tough shots (fades, leaners, etc) they should still be difficult to time, due to the degree of difficulty.

With all the factors I read about in the Q&A I dont think "shot masters" will be too much of problem. This is definitely one of those games we are only going to be able to judge until we get are hands on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2

Great point right here Ninja and this is an area I can see the shot timing helping in. If you run plays you will have a higher chance of giving guys the ball in areas they can be successful in.

And since timing is going to be key here shooting the right type of shot will be important. If you run around shooting with Kobe all game you are going to have to put up a lot tough shots due to the defense which will make life that much harder for you.

I don't see how a player trying to jack shots with one guy will be able to beat one who knows how to run plays effectively. Especially if this years defensive controls are up to snuff this year.

Last edited by Jano; 06-16-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
Discuss. Discuss what we've been shown, Discuss what you'd like to see, Discuss how things could be better. I'm all for expressing concerns and discussion about closing the realism gap between playing ball and playing ball. I just don't understand the negativity because of a perceived track record.
I thought I was already following your rules for what I should say!

What I've been shown was the shot stick this year. More importantly (FOR ME) I've been shown EA pushing the next big feature without addressing the current problems. At any rate I think I said I am not wanting an easy shot mechanism just I don't want to "go too far to stick skills side" for me that doesn't stop at the shot stick it also includes freestyle moves which I became concerned about after watching one of the videos. I am concerned that if the D isn't as powerful as the ball handling is, then freestyle stick skills could be a problem. I've already expressed how I thought things could be better so I hope I have met your requirements for what I can and can't say [sarcasm].

"I just don't understand the negativity because of a perceived track record" is an interesting statement considering EA themselves have pretty much acknowledged as much in press releases and the name change itself. I'm pretty sure they didn't change to Elite because they thought it was cute! I won't address the tone part. As far as others who have played the game that only holds a small amount of value for me because I don't know their preferences and concerns. I am basing my opinions on my own past and current experiences and though I've enjoyed pretty much all the Lives to some degree, I feel I recognize this pattern, hype the new feature and not talk about the negatives. If I was remaking a bad image I'd start with addressing the detractions first then the innovations. Just me.

I don't feel I've said a single negative thing about the game, only things I'm concerned may be in the game based on what I've seen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »