Home

Robert Flores Goes One-On-One With EA Sports Madden NFL 11 Game Designers (ESPN)

This is a discussion on Robert Flores Goes One-On-One With EA Sports Madden NFL 11 Game Designers (ESPN) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Robert Flores Goes One-On-One With EA Sports Madden NFL 11 Game Designers (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
So they could easily add features the sim players want but don't because casuals might not find them fun. Alot of sim players didn't buy Madden 11 because they didn't find the new arcade features fun. Yet they constantly tell us they are trying to make a sim game. If they don't find RFA fun then they can just sim past it!

If that's the attitude they have going into Madden 12 then I see no hope for this series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #26
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Robert Flores Goes One-On-One With EA Sports Madden NFL 11 Game Designers (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Phil Frazier is not out of touch, I promise you that.

A lot of what EA is saying lately is being taken in the worst way possible. When someone at EA says "franchise mode is boring", as Ian said in an interview, he means Madden's franchise mode is boring. He's acknowledging that it's not where it needs to be. What Phil was talking about was making the processes that come with Franchise Mode fun rather than a series of spreadsheets.

Having played through several season in NFL Head Coach 09, it is VERY hard to go back to traditional franchise modes that are nothing but spreadsheet management. I don't care what game you're talking about... MLB The Show, NHL... it's all just spreadsheet management. NFL Head Coach found a new way to present it too you, and it made a huge difference. This is the sort of thing Phil is talking about.

If they added every possible feature and made the logic perfect but kept the current structure, I'd be extremely disappointed. It's just old, stale, boring, and just like every other franchise mode in existence. NFL Head Coach 09 Career mode + Madden NFL 12 gameplay would be revolutionary.

Personally, I am pretty impressed by how much Phil has improved in interviews since last year. It's not really natural for him. I think he'd rather stay in the background and let Ian and Donny do the talking (actually, I think Donny's the only one that really likes doing public interviews, because he's the only real extrovert on the team). I am pretty sure Ian doesn't like it. I get the sense that he's acutely aware of how his words are going to be dissected here. Mike Young is so soft spoken, and he's like that in real life, so it's hard to say how he feels about it.
I agree with you.

A lot of people like to take their own meaning and take it out of context of an internet interview and put their own spin on it based on the way they feel on the direction Madden is heading.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree with you.

A lot of people like to take their own meaning and take it out of context of an internet interview and put their own spin on it based on the way they feel on the direction Madden is heading.
I find that to be just as dangerous as taking a fan-boy faith approach as well.

I feel like Madden 10 took an enormous jump in quality after the community interaction and then in Madden 11 you could see the drastic dropoff in community involvement and the resulting factors of turning the 360/PS3 versions into something close to but not exactly like the Wii version as far as their main tag line even goes as far to say... Simpler, Quicker, Deeper...

If it isn't too much to ask (and I am not trying to troll or start anything)... could someone PLEASE tell me what exactly was deeper about Madden 11? It certainly wasn't Franchise Mode.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #28
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
I find that to be just as dangerous as taking a fan-boy faith approach as well.

I feel like Madden 10 took an enormous jump in quality after the community interaction and then in Madden 11 you could see the drastic dropoff in community involvement and the resulting factors of turning the 360/PS3 versions into something close to but not exactly like the Wii version as far as their main tag line even goes as far to say... Simpler, Quicker, Deeper...

If it isn't too much to ask (and I am not trying to troll or start anything)... could someone PLEASE tell me what exactly was deeper about Madden 11? It certainly wasn't Franchise Mode.
I'm assuming that people who didn't purchase Madden will try to run it into the ground with whatever reason they don't enjoy about it and people who did purchase it will praise it for what they like about the game. I happen to like the game play portion of it. I'm not the lone ranger in that area.

I'm not happy with the franchise mode.

I was merely agreeing with Adembroski. I'll take his word regarding the direction of Madden because he's been at Tibouran for CD the past two years.

I'll go out on a limb and think deeper is geared more towards game play. Game planning and run blocking come to mind.

Last edited by roadman; 08-24-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
I'm assuming that people who didn't purchase Madden will try to run it into the ground with whatever reason they don't enjoy about it and people who did purchase it will praise it for what they like about the game. I happen to like the game play portion of it. I'm not the lone ranger in that area.

I'm not happy with the franchise mode.

I was merely agreeing with Adembroski. I'll take his word regarding the direction of Madden because he's been at Tibouran for CD the past two years.

I'll go out on a limb and think deeper is geared more towards game play. Game planning and run blocking come to mind.
That is well and good, I just don't understand why those qualify as deeper... Those seem like things that should be a given. I guess I just feel like run blocking is something that is an integral part of football and should be expected, not as something that makes a football game deeper...

I could see Gameplanning as 'deeper'... maybe.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
That is well and good, I just don't understand why those qualify as deeper... Those seem like things that should be a given. I guess I just feel like run blocking is something that is an integral part of football and should be expected, not as something that makes a football game deeper...

I could see Gameplanning as 'deeper'... maybe.
I hear you, but run blocking wasn't even in the ballpark with previous Maddens. Now, it's live and in living color and nice to see on the field.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 24

RFA's not fun? I disagree strongly.

Anywho, if EA doesn't think it'll be fun, make an option to skip over it.

RFA's and UFA's would add soo much to this game, I'd be a first day buyer again.

It'd be better than signing/resigning any player at any time and building a powerhouse in one years' time. JMO......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #32
Pro

PRAY IV M3RCY's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Wow, a gimmick or Ask Madden 2.0 that is being used by 70-80% of the folks that purchased Madden?

How can a gimmick be use that much?

its only been out a week, of course people are going to try the new features. They just bought it, and second its on default, so you will automatically be using Gameflow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »