Home

Hip Checks Hurting NHL 12's Realism

This is a discussion on Hip Checks Hurting NHL 12's Realism within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
NHL 2K, this is your chance... you can make your NHL game as good as if not better than your NBA game... Don't quit, get it together, regroup, and make an awesome video game. By the way, WTF is going on in that screenshot?!?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
To imply that this game has "physics" is pretty ballsy.
Exactly. There aren't "hitting physics" in this game at all! If you hit players from the front they sometimes fall FORWARDS! If you hit them from behind they sometimes fall backwards!

It's completely random people.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 4
Is this problem with hip checking on Xbox 360 too or just PS3?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Hip Checks Hurting NHL 12's Realism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzine21
Is this problem with hip checking on Xbox 360 too or just PS3?
The hip check isn't a system-specific issue. It's just a gameplay design decision EA made with NHL 12.

Given how they've tried to patch out gameplay imbalances in NHL 11, NHL 10, etc., I'm sure this is getting looking at by their gameplay team internally.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #45
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
As much as i hate to say it, but NHL 12 is the first in the series since 08 that i have considered returning. It's not that it's terrible, it's just that it feels like there are the same problems as last year for me.
For all the improving in the world, it still takes a tuner set to get the game to even play semi-realistically, and despite the improved goalies, i'm still being plagued by just downright awful goals sometimes.
It's not any massive game-breaking problems, but it just feels like the NHL11 i got sick of playing with better checks (sometimes, not always) and a better sim mode in Be a GM (But some more of the same old bugs from before...).
Maybe i will wait and see how i feel when i get some more sliders tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakeypastry @ 09/22/11 06:47 PM
In be a pro i hip checked a guy without the puck and got an interference.

Hip Check pissing you off? Don't use em in offline play, for online, suck it up buttercup
That's kind of ignorant to say. If we just tell everyone to fix game problems by "Getting over it" then EA will keep putting out the same bugged game with no reason to fix it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #46
Pro

puckhead73's Arena

OVR: 6

It isn't ignorant to say suck it up. Yes we all know that it definitely needs adjusting, but we all also know full well that playing with people that you don't know online, in any game, be NHL, COD, any sort of online game, you are going to come across those that cheat, lie, abuse, and glitch what ever they can to win. More than anything i feel, it reflects more on the type of person the glitchers are than it does on EA.

I'm not an EA fanboy and am not trying to vindicate them from anything, because the hipcheck is broken. It is obvious that it needs revisiting. But sitting complaining about the people that abuse the system then say that it is all EA's fault, in my eyes is like the person that blames gun manufacturers for any murder commited with a gun. (Obviously not the same degree of severity, but it illustrates my point well.) Use it as intended, and more often then not, things work like they should. Misuse it, and it pisses people off.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 0
link 3 happens in FIFA too. Some animations just don't have break points for collisions. At best they will just auto adjust back to the intended points. With link 3 it's like none of the animations are particularly prepared for death from above so the collision box just shoves dudes out of the wave. It looks extra stupid for the victim because there aren't any animations for falling 10 feet other than that default flailing.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead73
It isn't ignorant to say suck it up. Yes we all know that it definitely needs adjusting, but we all also know full well that playing with people that you don't know online, in any game, be NHL, COD, any sort of online game, you are going to come across those that cheat, lie, abuse, and glitch what ever they can to win. More than anything i feel, it reflects more on the type of person the glitchers are than it does on EA.

I'm not an EA fanboy and am not trying to vindicate them from anything, because the hipcheck is broken. It is obvious that it needs revisiting. But sitting complaining about the people that abuse the system then say that it is all EA's fault, in my eyes is like the person that blames gun manufacturers for any murder commited with a gun. (Obviously not the same degree of severity, but it illustrates my point well.) Use it as intended, and more often then not, things work like they should. Misuse it, and it pisses people off.

Just my two cents.
There are exploits, like always goals and ******** animations. However the hip check essentially lets you have 99 checking without wasting a single point in strength, and no amount of balance can help you regardless of how slightly they brush you. I can't imagine the EA developers are looking at these highlights and going "well yeah that's how we envisioned it!!!"

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »