Home

MLB 14 The Show Video Comparison Between the PS3 and PS4 Versions

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show Video Comparison Between the PS3 and PS4 Versions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 14 The Show Video Comparison Between the PS3 and PS4 Versions

There is definitely a difference and it will be more apparent when we put it on our nice TVs.

I really just don't know where they can go from there....btw...some referenced cloth physics...that has been done in MLB2K7 (i think) it was over done
Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #34
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Gamespot PS3 vs PS4 Comparison video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick32093209
The difference is REALLY apparent during night games. But I agree. SCEA maybe backing themselves into a corner….WHERE DO THEY GO FROM HERE!!!

I can think of just a few things

1. Fixing online play
2. Cursor hitting
3. more varied swing animations
4. Realtalk post game interviews (like NBA 2K14)
5. Improved trade logic..with user ability to override or confirm any CPU-CPU trades
6. Manager challenges and replay
7. The Show button (allows for fancy fielding play when you hit it i.e. bare hand grab, back hand flip etc)
8. Manager arguments and ejections

none of those things with the exception on #1 is critical. Everything else is not that big of a deal. Name another sports game that only has maybe 1 major and only 7 other minor fixes to make it perfect.

Btw…they probably could add all those things within the next two versions. MLB The Show 16 PS4 might be the perfect baseball game.

There are a few things that are impossible….like naming the players in the minors. Using real life umpires names with their real life tendencies.
Lighting is definitely an improvement, especially at night. That is drastically noticeable. Definitely grateful for having a solid baseball title.

But "Where do they go from here?" Animations. More realistic animations, individual behaviors, signatures, and player models (and, catcher's gear fit). Focus on the speed of player movement and the way the players move. It's not really so much about adding "more and more and more" animation, but it's "how" it's animated that would be key to increased realism. The team could add in 100,000 more animations but if the animations looks off, it throws the immersion factor out.

Let's put it this way: It seems like the "animation" is playing catchup to the photorealistic "lighting." There's a certain disconnect that still remains. The game can have beautiful screenshots, but when even a slight body movement is off, that causes an immediate disconnect.

I think a major part of the problem stems from the fact that "in studio motion capture sessions" has a drastically different "look" to it than real life game motion. The "adrenaline" rush differs. Body language differs. I'm guessing it's a more "calming" experience for the actor doing motion capture compared to a major league baseball player doing his job on the field during game time. The director can tell the actor what to do, but MLB player simply reacts to the game during a game.

Hopefully the next few installments will fix the animation concerns.

Side Note:
(A) I really wish they would eliminate the zoomed in camera angle showing the 3rd/1st base umpire on appeal immediately after the batter check swings. I would like to see the camera pulled back more, so the fans, the 3rd base coach, whoever is on 3rd and the defensive 3rd baseman is visible. The zoomed in camera angle actually takes the immersion out.

(B) Pitchers' follow through. Unless there is an option in the game, the default animation "pitch motion/arm speed/ball release" seems to be on the slower side of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Stadiums look better...players do not. It almost feels like they put the PS3 players into PS4 stadiums. Still buying the game of course but people saying it's a "huge" difference are exaggerating.
I have pretty much some of the same sentiment.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 04-09-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #35
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Umm, yeah there is no comparison lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #36
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42

Im still trippin on that nighttime lighting!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #37
Pro

OVR: 8

Only thing that has impressed me are the sharper colors and the lighting at night...

Old 04-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #38
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

OVR: 0

If you're going to make a comparison video you have to show the PS4 version in 1080p and 60fps. We know the PS3 version is 720p and 30fps which is exactly what this video renders in. Not fair at all to the PS4.

Look at the "The Cathedrals Are Better" video. Yeah it's compressed and only 30fps, but it's at least in 1080p and looks MILES better than this video.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:24 AM   #39
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
If you're going to make a comparison video you have to show the PS4 version in 1080p and 60fps. We know the PS3 version is 720p and 30fps which is exactly what this video renders in. Not fair at all to the PS4.
Wait a minute. "Not fair to the PS4"?

Am I the only one who sees that the PS3 version looks like it's in 240p? Not that it really is, but are people only seeing the comparison and not seeing how blurry that one is?

Now remember, YouTube compresses everything (including the PS4 footage), but my gameplay videos are significantly sharper than that PS3 footage.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #40
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Gamespot PS3 vs PS4 Comparison video

dude at :42 second mark go up the stairs already lmao

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »