Home

NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30
NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

(Promoting this post to the homepage, written by Mike Wang, Sr. Game Designer for NBA 2K15)

Let me clarify up the design of the shot meter. In previous 2K's, shot timing was just another factor within a huge list of other things that spit out a final shot % which we then rolled dice against. So really, it was Real Player % with a bit of help from the user. But the skill of the user had a minimal impact.

In 2K15, all factors that make up a good vs. bad shot get rolled up into a value that then scales the timing window for your jump shooter. So now, timing is a much more crucial factor in whether you make or miss. This puts the onus on the user to execute with more precision and separates the skilled users from the lucky ones. It's actually very similar to the design of Free Throw shooting. You can make the shot if you manage to get perfect timing but your % falls the further you are from the ideal release point. If you're way off, it's a guaranteed miss.

It's also a much more useful feedback system. If you're unfamiliar with your players, it's much easier to get a sense of their timing by glancing at the meter. Also, it's much easier to see how close or off you were with your timing after the fact to help you learn... much more useful than the letter grade system (which is still an option btw.)

My intention was never to make shooting a "meter game." The most successful people in the office are the ones who still watch the shot animations for visual cues of when to release, using the meter only for feedback or for occasional guidance.

I knew there would be some concerns, so let me try to address those now:

- No, you cannot "master" the meter and hit every shot you take
- Yes, you can turn it off in the options menu
- Yes, Real FG% is still an option
- Yes, it is very difficult to get "perfect timing," especially on the higher levels

Hopefully that clears some things up. IMO, shooting is much more engaging now and I think you guys will like the feature.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: New Shot Meter

As long as there is not a rating boost for perfect releases I am good. A 70 rated three point shooter shouldnt become 75 just because he has a easy release. Rodney Stuckey and shumpert shot well above their ratings because of their shot releases.

Thanks for the input. Look forward to trying out the new game.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

How will shot contests affect %'s?

Edit: After reading close, I've found my answer.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof

Last edited by quehouston; 08-15-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 0

This is souding like 2k heaven.

The whole matter of making it skill rather than luck is fantastic.
I always thought/assumed no matter how good or bad a user if they use a good player they make shots even if they don't know the release. This sounds like this might solve this & I hope it works.

I use the visual cues on a 'feels right' basis so hopefully this is exactly what I'm thinking...

*hopes & dreams* lol
Old 08-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Rookie

BoxyCougar's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm curious to know whether this new shot meter will be on the last-gen version of the games as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Banned

steelers99_58_36's Arena

OVR: 2

Takin' the cheese out of the game one step at a time. This sounds awesome I hate when players/opponents rely on luck to get them through the game. Winning or playing well should only be a result of how good you are on the sticks and buttons, not luck.

Last edited by steelers99_58_36; 08-15-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Let me clarify up the design of the shot meter. In previous 2K's, shot timing was just another factor within a huge list of other things that spit out a final shot % which we then rolled dice against. So really, it was Real Player % with a bit of help from the user. But the skill of the user had a minimal impact.

In 2K15, all factors that make up a good vs. bad shot get rolled up into a value that then scales the timing window for your jump shooter. So now, timing is a much more crucial factor in whether you make or miss. This puts the onus on the user to execute with more precision and separates the skilled users from the lucky ones. It's actually very similar to the design of Free Throw shooting. You can make the shot if you manage to get perfect timing but your % falls the further you are from the ideal release point. If you're way off, it's a guaranteed miss.

It's also a much more useful feedback system. If you're unfamiliar with your players, it's much easier to get a sense of their timing by glancing at the meter. Also, it's much easier to see how close or off you were with your timing after the fact to help you learn... much more useful than the letter grade system (which is still an option btw.)

My intention was never to make shooting a "meter game." The most successful people in the office are the ones who still watch the shot animations for visual cues of when to release, using the meter only for feedback or for occasional guidance.

I knew there would be some concerns, so let me try to address those now:

- No, you cannot "master" the meter and hit every shot you take
- Yes, you can turn it off in the options menu
- Yes, Real FG% is still an option
- Yes, it is very difficult to get "perfect timing," especially on the higher levels

Hopefully that clears some things up. IMO, shooting is much more engaging now and I think you guys will like the feature.
Thanks. I really appreciate your taking the time to post this. You didn't have to, and it's welcome.

I have a follow up question: will taking shots that are or are not well defended matter more in shot success this year? In 2k14, if user team momentum was lower, wide open shots from guys with, say, 85+ medium ratings would clang from 12 feet, but that would not happen for the CPU, even when CPU momentum was low. I would also see, pretty frequently, how pretty crazy CPU shots would go in even if very well defended, especially (but not exclusively) when CPU momentum was up.

So, I'm just curious how much shot success will be influenced by the defense, especially as these factors interact with momentum logic.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17

Will this meter be available for online ranked matches ?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »