Home

Adjusting how the Depth Chart and player positions operate

This is a discussion on Adjusting how the Depth Chart and player positions operate within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
Pro

ASUBoy93's Arena

OVR: 2
Adjusting how the Depth Chart and player positions operate

I love playing Madden and building up teams in CFM, but I have a tough time actually staying engaged because of a few issues with the depth chart and player positions.

I'll start by saying that having players lose attributes for switching positions does not work with how they have it. If a player lost technical attributes like route running, blocking, coverage, etc then it would makes sense but right now if you move players what mostly changes are their athletic attributes. For example, I drafted a 6'6" 245 lbs WR with 90 speed so I wanted to take advantage of athletic mismatches and switched his position to TE, his speed dropped from 90 to 78, so I promptly moved him back to WR and his speed dropped again to 74 which forced me to cut my 2nd round WR. I've experienced similar issues with DT's switching to DE's in a 3-4, DE's becoming OLB's, and CB's becoming Safeties.

We'll come back to the position changes in a moment, the depth chart presents an issue as well. The current way the depth chart is set up is very rudimentary and generic, I haven't even looked at a depth chart that way since I was 9. I believe that your depth chart should resemble your actual scheme, a 4-3 defense should keep the current format except add the difference between CB 1, CB 2 and the Nickel CB while a 3-4 should alter how their DL and LB corps are set up - The depth chart should have positions DE, NT, DT, ROLB, MLB 1, MLB 2, LOLB, CB 1, CB 2, Nickel, FS, SS when you run a 3-4 variant.

The same somewhat applies to offenses as there needs to be a difference between the WR positions. Every team has a WR 1, WR 2 and a Slot WR. These are normally three DIFFERENT positions with different qualifications and expectations. The current scheme screen has three options for WR but only the first option actually affects how your team views the WR position, the other two are just window dressings in Madden 15. I also think some teams should have the H-back position available in the depth chart.

I think a good way to help with these would be to alter how positions are labeled in the roster. I propose that all players should just have a base position in the roster; like OL, DL, EDGE, LB, DB, etc. This would allow more true movement in positions where teams rotate out several players for multiple positions, and enables teams to change schemes during the off-season with limited confusion on how to structure your depth chart. I also think adding back in formation subs could quell this as well too especially if they add in a feature that let's you have formation subs specifically for passing downs and running downs.

What do you guys think? Looking forward to hearing some responses. Cheers.

NFL: Seattle Seahawks
NBA: Phoenix Suns
MLB: Arizona D-Backs
NHL: Arizona Coyotes
NCAA: Arizona State Sun Devils/Florida Gators
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Adjusting how the Depth Chart and player positions operate

I completely agree with everything you stated. It is especially frustrating that, in my experience, a player has never gained points by switching positions, and has only lost points. Nothing permanently changes if you just reorganize the depth chart and keep the player's position the same, which makes changing the player's 'position' useless. For example, if you use a 3-4 OLB as a 4-3 DE, his attributes may increase or decrease by playing at that position, but will change back to their original number if moved back to OLB. If you change the position during the offseason from OLB to DE, he'll most likely permanently lose points.

I think your ideas for the depth chart are great. With those positions clearly defined i.e. CB1, CB2, Slot Corner, you could add some additional elements to the defense. I'd love the option to either have my CB1 match up against the opponent's WR1 or only play one side of the field.

I'd also like to have the option to play any player at any position. I realize that this isn't typical, but it would be nice to be able to play JJ Watt as a TE to recreate what the Texans did this year. I know that there are certain formations that allow you to use a DT as a FB in heavy situations, but what if I just wanted to substitute a DT as a FB all the time? I think it would enable you to be more creative and would add more variety to the game as well.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
MVP

NFCastle's Arena

OVR: 17

I completely agree with your points on the attribute dropsl

I'm all for the idea of attributes dropping when switching positions. Awareness/position specific skills SHOULD go down to adjust for a learning curve.

Having a guy that runs a 4.3, 40 yard dash have his speed drop from 90 to a 78 really doesn't make any sense. You can't coach speed, you have it or you don't.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

I wish I could set my special teams lineups too
Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Just started!

vazooo1's Arena

Please bring back old madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 PM   #6
Rookie

Just want to point out something about the WR to TE shift - the drop in speed is likely also accompanied by an increase in strength, I believe, which is to simulate the fact that he has to bulk up in order to play TE, so that he can more effectively block and whatnot.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #7
MVP

StefJoeHalt's Arena

There needs to be strong side and weak side linebackers and DE..this should be done automatically once they break the huddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rule #1: Never leave a fellow Crasher behind. Crashers take care of their own.
Rule #2: Never use your real name.
Rule #15: Fight the urge to tell the truth.
Rule #30: Know the playbook so you can call an audible.
Twitter: @318TA621
Old 01-15-2015, 01:43 AM   #8
Pro

ASUBoy93's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedLion14
Just want to point out something about the WR to TE shift - the drop in speed is likely also accompanied by an increase in strength, I believe, which is to simulate the fact that he has to bulk up in order to play TE, so that he can more effectively block and whatnot.
Valid point, but it shouldn't be as drastic as it is (90 to 78) especially if the aforementioned WR is 6'6" 240 something, he probably already has a pretty good base for strength. But I do see where you are coming from.

NFL: Seattle Seahawks
NBA: Phoenix Suns
MLB: Arizona D-Backs
NHL: Arizona Coyotes
NCAA: Arizona State Sun Devils/Florida Gators

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »