Home

MLB 15 The Show: Working the Count as a Hitter

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Working the Count as a Hitter within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 15 The Show: Working the Count as a Hitter

There is a heavy importance attached to the ability to work the count in MLB 15 The Show, especially if you are playing on higher difficulties. Once you graduate to All-Star and above you will notice that no longer will the pitcher groove strikes down the pipe.

Read More - MLB 15 The Show: Working the Count as a Hitter
Platform: PS3 / PS Vita / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
Rookie

BSchwartz07's Arena

OVR: 0
I try to wait on a specific pitch in a specific spot until I get behind in the count. Either way I strike out way too much. I use pure analog, and checking your swing is impossible, also hate when you guess the correct pitch and location then the pitch is 4 feet over your head...
Old 04-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19
this is a perfect example of the beauty and cumbersomeness of MLB the SHOW. its easy to be patient at first, but eventually youll give in and hack away just to speed up a game or try to come back.
it usually takes me to sit ins to get in a complete 9 inning game.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
this is a perfect example of the beauty and cumbersomeness of MLB the SHOW. its easy to be patient at first, but eventually youll give in and hack away just to speed up a game or try to come back.
it usually takes me to sit ins to get in a complete 9 inning game.
meant to say two sit ins to get in a complete 9 inning game
Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #5
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Working the Count as a Hitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchwartz07
I try to wait on a specific pitch in a specific spot until I get behind in the count. Either way I strike out way too much. I use pure analog, and checking your swing is impossible, also hate when you guess the correct pitch and location then the pitch is 4 feet over your head...
The checks swings with the new pure analog aren't nearly as good as they were when we were able to stride, but I've been able to adjust. I still get called for more swings than I did before, but it works good enough for me now after some practice. The entire hitting mechanic still feels like crap compared to what we had before, but whatever... I've moved on.

And while I haven't tried using any kind of guess pitch since MLB '08 or '09, I do remember that I really improved my patience and approach at the plate once I stopped using guess pitch.

Once I made the move to abandon guess pitch and rely solely on my own pitch recognition, I made huge improvements at the plate. Once the pitch recognition is there, all you need is a somewhat patient approach and the offense really opens up at the higher difficulty levels.

It all comes back to pitch recognition for me though. You have to be able pick up and lay off of borderline pitches, especially when you're ahead in the count. And it's just as important to be able to spit on breaking balls and off speed pitches that start off too low.

It takes a little extra focus, but as long as I force myself to lock in on the pitcher's motion and release point, I usually give myself a chance to have good ABs. It never fails, actually... Almost every time I catch myself flailing for an extended period of time in a game, I realize that I was getting lazy and not picking up the baseball as early as possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
It takes a little extra focus, but as long as I force myself to lock in on the pitcher's motion and release point, I usually give myself a chance to have good ABs. It never fails, actually... Almost every time I catch myself flailing for an extended period of time in a game, I realize that I was getting lazy and not picking up the baseball as early as possible.
What's your technique for picking up the ball out of the pitcher's hand? Where are you looking before the pitch?
Old 04-14-2015, 01:31 AM   #7
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

i personally just try to relax my eyes and focus on the area of his belt and just watch him twist and turn and release... i find that also with no one base or when the 2nd base umpire is behind him you can sort of focus on him as well and have a good look... but that is just me..
Old 04-14-2015, 02:26 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
The checks swings with the new pure analog aren't nearly as good as they were when we were able to stride, but I've been able to adjust. I still get called for more swings than I did before, but it works good enough for me now after some practice. The entire hitting mechanic still feels like crap compared to what we had before, but whatever... I've moved on.

And while I haven't tried using any kind of guess pitch since MLB '08 or '09, I do remember that I really improved my patience and approach at the plate once I stopped using guess pitch.

Once I made the move to abandon guess pitch and rely solely on my own pitch recognition, I made huge improvements at the plate. Once the pitch recognition is there, all you need is a somewhat patient approach and the offense really opens up at the higher difficulty levels.

It all comes back to pitch recognition for me though. You have to be able pick up and lay off of borderline pitches, especially when you're ahead in the count. And it's just as important to be able to spit on breaking balls and off speed pitches that start off too low.

That is exactly my approach to hitting, with the same mental flaws you described

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »