Home

Preseason games

This is a discussion on Preseason games within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 3
Preseason games

Who plays them in their cfm and why?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Preseason games

I always play them because I like to get a feel of how my team plays. It helps me prepare for the regular season, finding what plays work and what plays don't (even though I play as Dallas every year).

Also, I like to make my own roster cuts. It makes me feel more immersed and in charge. After every game, I look at my roster, injuries, players stats, and how they played, and decide who stays and who goes. For example, if a 70 ovr wr has 4 rec for 66 yards, and a 65 ovr wr has 10 rec for 143 yards and a TD, I will likely keep the 67 ovr receiver and cut the 70 ovr receiver.

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Old 09-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Rookie

I stopped playing them, I do my own cuts though. Much like real pre season games they are useless. Your starters get a drive vs the other starters and after that nothing matters. Honestly I don't care if my 6th war can beat their 6th corner because let's be honest that's not the talent level he will see in a real game. Odds are he can't do that vs a 1,2 or 3rd corner so that information is essentially useless IMO.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2

I play them. the progression system is so bad unless you stat chase(example, Kelce gives me 74 catches and 999 yards...well I HAVE to force a 1 yard catch, killing realism, just to keep him at his rating, if I am freaking lucky, or I get 4 straight 7 INT seasons with Marcus Peters, and he is an 82, even with a game prep(or 2) EVERY week..of course this happens when everyone is hitting their goals at the DB position due to high deflection numbers, even though the goal is supposed to be INT's)

there is also preseason cuts that kill immersion for me, sorry, I cry inside watching DAT cut by KC, Andre Ellington cut by Arizona etc

preseason is a must to make up for the madness.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 20

I play them. My basic approach is that I pay hyper close attention to details, stuff like benching players after a bad play or costly penalty, or like if WR4 made a nice catch and ran some good routes while WR3 dropped a pass and missed a block, I'll literally use that as reason to swop them on the depth chart.

Basically I just pay really close attention to everything I can manage to notice, try to keep a running log of these events in my head, and then call the game/make roster moves based on this data set.

In this sense preseason games are just as enjoyable as regular season games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I play them. My basic approach is that I pay hyper close attention to details, stuff like benching players after a bad play or costly penalty, or like if WR4 made a nice catch and ran some good routes while WR3 dropped a pass and missed a block, I'll literally use that as reason to swop them on the depth chart.

Basically I just pay really close attention to everything I can manage to notice, try to keep a running log of these events in my head, and then call the game/make roster moves based on this data set.

In this sense preseason games are just as enjoyable as regular season games.
But unless you know your dealing with WR 3 and WR 4 both playing vs the same talent you just compared apples to oranges. I use to play the all the time then I realized I'm playing three quarters with back up. My back up QB getting killed because back up OL men aren't good usually, it just didn't make sense. I understand why some play them because I use to, I just realized (for me) they make as much sense as real pre season games, which isn't much.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgisme
But unless you know your dealing with WR 3 and WR 4 both playing vs the same talent you just compared apples to oranges.
I'm comparing the performance of one of my players against the performance of another one of my players. That's apples to apples.

Quote:
My back up QB getting killed ...
This is just what I mean, actually: preseason games are a series of challenges, such as: "not getting the backup QB killed" and "winning the game while playing third-stringers." Doing that is no less entertaining or challenging than a regular season game. Might not be as "rewarding" but it's fundamentally the same intellectual/strategic challenge, probably even the harder one.

I think of preseason games like side-ops in MGSV, or I guess side-missions in general: of course you don't have to do them and of course they're "meaningless" when compared with the main story missions (regular season), but that doesn't mean they suck or should be skipped. They're the same game (literally) just with some wrinkles.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
Rookie

Makes sense to me, if one WR has a good game with undrafted FA number 126 covering him all day and one WR has an off game with shutdown CB #1 covering him it's apples to apples. That's all I'm saying, and why I gave up on them. That and the fact the exp gain is so small per player (again, because so many players are playing) it just seemed a waist of time to me. I absolutely see why some like them though. He asked if people play the, I said no and why.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »