Home

Guide to Beating Domination and Historic Domination

This is a discussion on Guide to Beating Domination and Historic Domination within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Guide to Beating Domination and Historic Domination

Trying to put together a really comprehensive guide to maximizing MT in Domination/Historic Domination games. The question pops up constantly and, hopefully, it will help folks to have something that might be pointed to that, I think, covers all bases. If I'm wrong about anything or you have more suggestions, reply and I'll edit this post accordingly.

GENERAL

* This isn't a guide for just winning games, but for winning *and* getting a lot (800-900+) MT, in order to get 3 stars and all reward packs.
* If you're having problems just winning games, keep working on your skills. Once you get past a certain threshold of skill, winning games in Domination, which is at Pro level, is easy. Even against the All-Star teams in Domination. Even if you don't have a stacked lineup.
* Depending on the MT requirement for the game, you should be aiming to get 100-150 MT each quarter. And while similar scores can provide widely varying MT totals, you should be trying to score 70-90 points.
* In 2K16, having the running MT tally during the game is a huge help. You'll still need to keep tabs on stuff like Free Throws and 3-Pointers attempted, as well as Assists, Rebounds, etc. To see how you're doing, check the Team Comparison screen.

ASSISTS

* Assists give you a +5 MT bonus, so you should avoid/minimize scoring unassisted. I.e. no ISO hero ball.
* If you do score without an assist, at least try to make that score a layup or dunk for those bonuses (see below).
* Depending on MT requirement, try to get 20-30+ assists per game.

DUNKS AND LAYUPS

* You get +3 MT for dunks, and +2 MT for layups.
* So every jumpshot you make means you lose 2 or 3 MT. (Or 5 MT...see POST MOVES below.) Avoid/minimize jump shots.
* Easist way to generate layup/dunk opportunities are fast breaks and pick'n'rolls.

FAST BREAKS

* You get a +4 MT bonus for scoring during a fast break.
* Set Offensive PoE to Run in Transition so your backcourt players run following opponent shots.
* Load your lineup with really fast players, particularly your guards/wings.
* Not just fast, but with high Driving Dunk/Layup ratings so you can finish fast breaks with those bonuses.
* Even better if they have good passing/hands ratings to weave pass during the break.
* People say Patch 3 nerfed alley-oops, but to extent they're possible, having your guards/wings badged with Lob City badges helps enable more assisted dunks, especially on fast breaks.
* Create fast break opportunities with Steals, Blocks, and Rebounds off missed opponent shots. (See below for Defense tips.)

POST MOVES (PFA CHEESE)

* Post-Fade Cheese is the new Post-Fade Cheese. Patch 3 took out the "Post-Move Glitch" so now we need to cheese the old-fashioned way.
* Assisted PFA Cheese is your MT Bread and Butter: +2 Field Goal Made, +5 Assist, and +5 Post-Move = +12 MT.
* Most reliable way to get the +5 MT Post Move bonus is with Post-Fade Jumpers and Post Hook Shots. Most people prefer the former over the latter.
* Shoot the Post-Fade quickly after receiving the pass. You have time for maybe only one dribble before being too late to qualify for the Assist bonus. So don't pass into the PFA Man until he's already in a good post position.
* You also want your PFA Man to set up around the middle of the side of the key. Too close to the top of the key or too far outside of it, and it's a longer-range shot. Too close to the baseline and he may spin behind and shoot into the back of the backboard. Too deep in the paint and he might shoot somethign other than a post-fade.
* Consensus is that Dirk Nowitzki is the god of Post-Fades. Other PFA Cheesegods I'd recommend are LaMarcus Aldridge, ROTY Patrick Ewing, Parish, McHale. Guys like Kevin Love, Zach Randolph, or Al Jefferson are solid options. (But I find Al Jeff to shoot too upright, making him easier to block than most.)
* Some wings and guards have good post-fades: Kobe, Carmelo, Worthy, Jordan, Durant, and others. Can be nice to go to these guys as their defenders will often be less capable of strong post defense. But it will also be more challenging to get *assisted* post-fades with them as they generally won't be your Quick Play post-up option. So you may have to call Guard Post-Up plays, which may burn too much time.
* Best way to get your PFA Man to get in position is to call a Quick Play for him to post up as you come up the court. Call for this while ballhandler is on the side of the court that corresponds to the PFA Man's hot zone, if he has one. I.e. the left side, if it's Dirk.
* You can also find plays in a playbook that has your man immediately post up. Usually a "Punch" play.
* Depending on your offensive set (i.e. 3-2) and PoE (e.g. Feed the Post), your PFA Man might have the tendency to post up if you bring the ball around to the wing on his side.
* Badge up your PFA Man with Fade Ace badges.
* Post Hooks are also good, if you have a big with a high Post Hook rating. But the problem with them is that they require getting *deep* in the paint to be reliable, which makes it difficult to make them Assisted.

PICK AND ROLLS

* P'n'R's seem to have been nerfed a bit with latest patch (or maybe because the only game I played, post-patch was the Historic All-NBA All-Stars).
* But if you can execute P'n'R's well, then they're a great way to score quickly and get MT bonuses: +2 Field Goal, +2 Layup or +3 Dunk, +5 Assist for 9 or 10 MT.
* Use fast big men who have high Driving Layup/Dunk. Silvers: Sanders, Noel, Chandler. Golds: DeAndre, Dwight Howard, Drummond.
* Use a 4-Out 1-In offense to maximize space.
* Call for the pick when well beyond the 3-point line to create even more interior space.
* Use a fast point guard who can attack the basket to attract the double-team.
* If CPU covers the roll man and you can't pass into him without risking an interception, let it go, move back out beyond the arc, call for the pick again. You can probably try P'n'R three times within one possession if you work fast.

REBOUNDS

* Rebounds give you +6 MT and are one of the biggest sources of MT, so maximize this.
* You only get the bonus if you, the player, are controlling the player who gets the rebound.
* Most rebounds are gotten on the defensive end, so if you are playing on-ball, switch control to a big in the paint, box out, and get the board yourself.
* While it's considered lame in online PvP play, who gives a **** against the CPU. It's effective to always control your Center, roam the paint, and make sure you're always in position to box out and grab boards.
* The CPU doesn't abuse fast breaks, so set Offensive PoE to Crash Offensive Boards. Second chance points will often not include an Assist bonus, but the Second Chance Points bonus is +6. +6 (Offensive) Rebound, +6 Second Chance Points, +2 Field Goal, and maybe +2 Layup or +3 Dunk. You won't get a lot of these, but the few you get earn big MT.
* Depending on MT requirement, try to get 30-40+ total rebounds per game.

DEFENSE

* Defense doesn't really matter. Once you become good enough, winning isn't the issue, but earning MT is.
* The main challenge is to get the CPU to not run a super-patient offense and kill too much game time.
* My suggestion is to run Half Court Trap defense all game long. Your guys will be constantly double-teaming, which might produce steals, and if it doesn't, will leave shooters open to take mid-range or longer shots, which won't fall at a high percentage.
* Some people will also foul incessantly to maximize offense time, but MT bonus for Rebounds is +6. Get a Block (+5) and a Rebound, and that's +11 MT right there. You don't want to cede these opportunities by fouling.
* You should be able to get the CPU to shoot well under 50% (except maybe the All-Star teams).
* If there's any fundamental defensive play tip I would stress, it would be using L2+Turbo (Quick Shuffle) stay in front of ballhandler. Then either use Intense D or Right Stick Shot Contest to prevent open shots. Don't try to steal, try not to go for blocks all the time. Just stay between the ballhandler and the basket and put your hands up. It's only Pro difficulty and even with halfhearted defensive effort, they will shoot around 50%.
* It's frowned upon for online PvP play, but for Domination, it's maybe most effective to always control your Center, patrol the paint, block/contest shots, grab boards, and defend the rolling big during CPU P'n'R's.
* You can try to tailor defensive matchup/assignment settings but I didn't find that it really mattered at all. Mostly I ended up just leaving everything on Auto but setting Defensive PoE to Defend the Paint and Run in Transition.

SHOT PERCENTAGE BONUSES

* You get bonuses for your 3-Point %, Free-Throw %, and Field Goal %.
* You only will get the 3P% and FT% bonuses if you attempt at least 5 3-pointers, and 10 free-throws.
* Roughly speaking, your bonus will be your % minus 10. I.e. if you shoot 2/5 from outside, you'll have 40% 3P% and get 30 MT.
* If you shoot more than the required number of shots and still shoot at good percentage, that (roughly) -10 modifier will diminish or disappear. Don't recall the exact formula for this.
* For three-pointers, you really should just take them if they're wide-open. You should get at least 5 really good looks in an entire game. Don't try to manufacture them. You really can only expect to get 30-50 MT from this bonus unless you're an ace shooter, so just get a 2/5 or 3/5 or 3/6 and stop taking threes. Post Moves and Dunks will get you more MT and have higher completion %.
* For free-throws, the challenge can be attracting enough fouls for enough attempts. If you need to "manufacture" fouls, try to use slasher with high Draw Foul ratings.
* Get the ball to them when they have a little launching room, Turbo to the basket and trigger a layup/dunk animation and if there's defenders, there's good chance of being fouled.
* You can also pass into a man posting up and take shots you know will be heavily contested.
* And if CPU is close to you late in 4th quarter, they'll start to intentionally foul and you can get a bunch of free throws in a short span of game clock.
* And as far as Field Goal % is concerned, if you're concentrating on Post-Fades, Pick'n'Rolls, and Fast Break scoring, you can easily get 70% or higher FG%.

SUGGESTED LINEUPS

Far from a complete list, but here's guys I tended to use, in no particular order...

* Point Guards: (Silver) Darren Collison, 6MOTY Bobby Jackson | (Gold) Westbrook, Wall | Kidd once you finish normal Dom and go to Historic
* Shooting Guards/Wings: (Silver) Gerald Green, John Starks, Scottie Pippen, Terrence Ross, Giannis, J.R. Smith, Kevin Martin (Gold) ROTY MJ, ROTY Grant Hill, Raptors McGrady, Kawhi, Butler, Klay
* Power Forwards: (Silver) Cliff Robinson, Faried, Porzingis, Shareef Abdur-Raheem, Markieff Morris | (Gold) Griffin, Aldridge, Dirk, Spencer Haywood, Kirilenko, Draymond
* Centers: (Silver) Larry Sanders, Nerlens Noel, Tyson Chandler, Towns, Cauley-Stein, Okafor, Valanciunas | (Gold) Howard, DeAndre, Whiteside, Gasol, Shaq, Sabonis

You might make sure you have the one knock-down three-point shooter you can hit with reliably on the team. But after the middle of Domination, I stopped using guys like Korver, Reddick, and even Rewards Ray Allen because I wanted more speed, defense, and/or finishing. I used Kevin Martin (Silver) as my three-point ace a lot, when I needed to get my 3PA's. I shoot well with him and he's fairly speedy and also has 80 Driving Layup and 74 Draw Foul. I used DeMarre Carrol a lot as a Stretch 4 because I could also nail stupid threes with him, his slowness wasn't so much a liability at PF, and interior defense wasn't a big deal since I always had a big paint-protecting Center on the court.

SORRY FOR THE LONG READ

* I beat most of normal Domination with just Fast Break and P'n'R cheesing. Mostly with an all-Silver lineup but threw in 3-5 Golds for last few games.
* I beat half of Historic the same way, still mostly with Silver players. But stacked my team as best I could for last few All-Star games.
* I beat most of the 2nd half of Historic with the same as above but with constant L2 Glitch cheese.
* I still had the last game of Historic when Patch 3 dropped. Couldn't get enough MT in 4 or 5 tries. Wasn't even getting ONE star, much less three. Lots of yelling and almost throwing my controller against the wall. Sort of wanted to use Cheat Engine to bypass the bull****. Finally beat it by just buckling down, and relying a lot on post-fades from Dirk, and getting as many Fast Breaks as I could, which aren't as easy to come by, post-Patch-3, in my opinion. Pick'n'Rolls were really tough as the CPU seemed to cover the roll man far more often than not and careless spamming of it resulted in tons of turnovers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

Re: Guide to Beating Domination and Historic Domination

Great post. I think you're right that the patch nerfed PnRs and maybe fast breaks. I used to spam the PnR; now I have to mix it up more.

Just so I'm clear on what's a post fade: you post up halfway up the side of the key, then push right stick away from the basket and release, right?
Old 11-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Solid resource!

At this point my only contribution I see fit is to add some video resources which I will.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #4
Rookie

Just to add a few players to the list, sorry if I dupe any.

PG: '03 Nash, great ball handling and decent speed.
Drose, 89 Driving layup speedy and decent passer

SG: Jimmy Butler, not great stats, but I find that his good defense leads to alot of easy steals and he forces alot of turnovers and he's usually the 2nd or 3rd guy coming down the court on the fast break.

DeMar DeRozan- 90 driving dunk. What's not to like? If he's not throwing it down, he's getting to the foul line.

Dwayne Wade, one of the OG high flyers. 93 driving dunk and decent perimeter defender. Again if he's not finessin' it home he's getting to the foul line.

Monta Ellis, 93 driving layup and pretty cheap on the auction house

SF: Melo for obvious reasons.

MKG!!, this dude is a beast for me on the fast break and on the drive, plus he's a damn good defender.

PF
'10 David Lee, decent post move and Defensive Rebounder

C
'10 Chris Kaman, Great all around post guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Just wanted to say this is a fantastic post. Should be stickied
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
Pro

Bballplaya72's Arena

OVR: 9

I'm playing the Magic and I have Kyrie at PG and Klay Thompson at SG and I still can't get anything going.

My game used to be getting into the paint and dishing out, but I can't get past defenders to save my life.

Everyone is an All Star on defense and it's really starting to piss me off how unrealistic it is.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:12 AM   #7
Banned

Hello,

Sorry for the noob question but how do you access to Historic domination ?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
Rookie

Daniel83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma1977
Hello,

Sorry for the noob question but how do you access to Historic domination ?

By completing the regular domination. So you first have to defeat all teams in regular domination and get 99/99 stars.
Mzong, ML10040311, Cavs4Life, CeltsFan81, AspeHeat, Apos1914, Illmatic1909, Lefxy, Phamtaztik, Palitongo, Rsudac, Ray Bond IV, nmellor, MrKornDog, Rengeektx, joenuts83, vermouth, Lakerking, urnoggin, Dan13Marino, Fabio85, tankendrick

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »