Home

Discussion: Hits down the line

This is a discussion on Discussion: Hits down the line within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

OVR: 3
Discussion: Hits down the line

This has always been a thread I wanted to create, but I wanted to make sure I had good videos to back up my points. Hits down the line in the show rarely if ever get deep into the corner, and more times than not, they only end up in singles. This is because the RF or LF get there within two or three seconds and cut it off before you can even think of going for two bases.

I believe the problem with hits right down the line in the show is of of these things.
A. the outfielders are too fast
B. The outfielders are positioned too close to the line
C. The outfield isn't big enough.

Idk but thats why I'm opening it up for discussion. Im interested to see if others are experiencing this and what you all believe is the issue.

Also, if someone fixed this with sliders, please let me know.

On this play, if the outfielder did not go into that extended wall animation, I would've been out by a mile at 2nd

Notice how in the two videos below, they don't even attempt a throw to second, and none of these two are burners on the bases. They just get there too late

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFSqMAsXdKs

Last edited by Don Jon; 04-09-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Discussion: Hits down the line

Hits down the line not slicing away from the fair ground is I think one of the few remaining shortcomings of the ball physics in The Show.

Outfielder positioning could still be one aspect, but the ball physics doesn't get side spin correct once the ball makes any contact with surface.

I've also tried to bring this up before

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ill-lacks.html

and I hope this will be addressed in the future version of The Show. I think getting this aspect of ball spin correct will further increase the hit variety in the outfield.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Hits down the line not slicing away from the fair ground is I think one of the few remaining shortcomings of the ball physics in The Show.

Outfielder positioning could still be one aspect, but the ball physics doesn't get side spin correct once the ball makes any contact with surface.

I've also tried to bring this up before

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ill-lacks.html

and I hope this will be addressed in the future version of The Show. I think getting this aspect of ball spin correct will further increase the hit variety in the outfield.
This is a big part of the problem. Also when these balls do slice and bounce off of the side walls the outfielders usually slow to gauge caroms.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
This is a big part of the problem. Also when these balls do slice and bounce off of the side walls the outfielders usually slow to gauge caroms.
Yes indeed... the difficulty of handling carom is an additional "unpredictable" element that slows the play down the line, allowing more time for the runner to stretch what currently is a single in The Show to a double.

Hopefully that gets factored in without triggering that "fielder getting sucked into the wall" animation that takes away user control... it's a great point that the fielder often "slows" his game down to handle them properly.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jon
Also, if someone fixed this with sliders, please let me know.
For A. that you mention, you can try lowering Fielder Speed. I still have mine at 0 from MLB15. Not sure if that's ideal now, but it helps without preventing fielders from making plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

OVR: 0

I was going to comment on the ball physics a couple hours ago, but wanted to see what others were going to say first. I completely agree with everything said. Its a combo of everything. By default outfielders are too fast to the ball, but most importantly the ball physics are incorrect. You can still see the tail of the ball when it is hit down the line, but it is not as dramatic as it should be. The most important part, however, is that when the ball bounces with that much spin it kicks towards the side wall at such an angle that its impossible for the outfielder to attack it aggressively and, if he does, he risks a misplay and a 3 bagger. Its as simple as improving ball physics. Not saying there are no ball physics in MLB 16, its just that its not as accurate as real life.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
Rookie

Cman9's Arena

OVR: 0

"Hits down the line not slicing away from the fair ground is I think one of the few remaining shortcomings of the ball physics in The Show."

Bingo!
Old 04-09-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

OVR: 3

I never really thought about the ball spin, nomo, your thread brings up good points.

Something that could take this game to the next level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »