Home

I almost never walk anybody...

This is a discussion on I almost never walk anybody... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13
I almost never walk anybody...

Subject says it.

Been away from the Show for a while as I'm a recent convert to PS4. I play Season mode and even with the pitching difficulty set to max I almost never walk guys. Because I play Season mode I've pitched with good rated pitchers and not so good.

I pitch it to the API and have tried meter, pulse, and analog pitching. I make the best effort to make a good pitch each time as far as timing, and try to hit the location my catcher calls for every time..but I still rarely walk guys.

I'm using default sliders.

Any suggestions for settings to get the pitchers a little more realistic to their ratings as far as control?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: I almost never walk anybody...

Classic Pitching
No ball marker
No strike zone
No vibration

Welcome to the bigs!

Don't forget to thank me when ur palms sweat!

Id also consider dropping some human pitching sliders. But, not until you've done the above things.

There are numerous good sets here

Sent from my SM-N910V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsticky
Subject says it.

Been away from the Show for a while as I'm a recent convert to PS4. I play Season mode and even with the pitching difficulty set to max I almost never walk guys. Because I play Season mode I've pitched with good rated pitchers and not so good.

I pitch it to the API and have tried meter, pulse, and analog pitching. I make the best effort to make a good pitch each time as far as timing, and try to hit the location my catcher calls for every time..but I still rarely walk guys.

I'm using default sliders.

Any suggestions for settings to get the pitchers a little more realistic to their ratings as far as control?

Thanks in advance.
Turn off the meter.

Well, you can't really turn it off but go to a custom pitching camera, change to the triangle shaped meter, resize it to as small as possible and then move it to the upper left corner of the screen. You may be tempted to look at the meter at first but the pie shaped meter is easier to ignore when you set it against the crowd than the colorful one.

It's great how the meter is timed so differently for every pitching motion. All you have to do is time it to the animation. I recommend the pure analog pitching. Once you start getting in a groove it really "feels" more like pitching to me and I hate staring at meters. I've been pitching this way ever since they introduced the pure analog mechanic.

You'll want to throw some warm-up pitches with your bullpen guys too just to get a feel. Just throw fastballs down the middle until you get their timing down.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by djep
Turn off the meter.

Well, you can't really turn it off but go to a custom pitching camera, change to the triangle shaped meter, resize it to as small as possible and then move it to the upper left corner of the screen. You may be tempted to look at the meter at first but the pie shaped meter is easier to ignore when you set it against the crowd than the colorful one.

It's great how the meter is timed so differently for every pitching motion. All you have to do is time it to the animation. I recommend the pure analog pitching. Once you start getting in a groove it really "feels" more like pitching to me and I hate staring at meters. I've been pitching this way ever since they introduced the pure analog mechanic.

You'll want to throw some warm-up pitches with your bullpen guys too just to get a feel. Just throw fastballs down the middle until you get their timing down.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Wow I have never heard of somebody using that. Seems beyond complicated and a bit unnecessary. Why not just use Classic pitching and utilize the timing that's involved with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-27-2017, 12:49 AM   #5
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

I have a different idea -

Use whatever mechanic you want, but up the difficulty to Legend. Once you start getting bombed because you are in the strike zone too much you'll start throwing to the corners more.

If you are not walking guys on Legend and still having success, then you have effectively won the game.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium

Use whatever mechanic you want, but up the difficulty to Legend. Once you start getting bombed because you are in the strike zone too much you'll start throwing to the corners more.

If you are not walking guys on Legend and still having success, then you have effectively won the game.
Exactly. You must have some fear of the CPU hitters to avoid the strike zone. You have to find a level that will punish you for leaving pitches over the middle of the plate....
Old 04-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:

Good advice. I have been using Dynamic difficulty, and I'm at Hall of Fame+. You have to pitch around some hitters, especially with average pitchers. I use meter and still walk guys.

I also have a couple rules I have used for years:
1) I have to move the marker. No grooving. Sometimes in this game even a little movement can really change a ball's final location.
2) I have to throw a breaking pitch on 3 balls if the API calls for it. It's a good randomizer.

I don't get super hung up on walks as I think the WHIP is still pretty accurate in this game, but those two rules plus harder difficulty make walks a real possibility for me. I usually have 2-3 per game and sometimes more if one of my pitchers is having confidence problems.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

Nothing better/worse than that moment where you're 3-2 in the count with with a runner on 3rd and 2 outs...and you need to get a strike with your tired pitcher. So you're trying to paint the corner with a fastball, because you don't want to risk the breaking pitch...annnnnnnnnnnnd you mess up and leave it right over the plate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »