Home

The “2K Bounce” has to be addressed

This is a discussion on The “2K Bounce” has to be addressed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
MVP

EZMADDEN's Arena

OVR: 0

This is an issue that I never see many people talking about, but I know it’s something that we all hate. It’s something I’ve deemed the “2K Bounce.”

You know, when the ball bounces around every single part of the basketball hoop before finally dropping into the basket? Yeah that issue.

This is something that wasn’t a real issue up until the past 3 iterations of 2K (NBA 2K16, NBA 2K17, and NBA 2K18). But I think it’s time it be addressed!

In a real-life game of basketball the ball will every once in a while bounce around the rim once or twice before dropping in. But in 2K on half of the shot attempts the ball seems to being playing a game of Plinko before finally deciding to enter the basket.

My main issue with this is the frequency in which we see this and the situations we see this. They need to be toned down big-time! It happens way too much and it’s a complete eyesore!

It seems to happen the most during these scenarios:
- Mid range jumpshots
- Contested jumpshots
- Players with low shooting ratings shot attempts
- Free Throws (generally happens the most in real-life but 2K goes overboard with it)

Now I couldn’t think of what in the code of the game could cause this to happen? Or is it an animation? I’m not 100% sure but I think it’s time for the 2K Bounce to go!

Who’s with me?!?

Last edited by EZMADDEN; 10-25-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: The “2K Bounce” has to be addressed

This can't be real. There is no problem with the ball bouncing around.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
MVP

EZMADDEN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
This can't be real. There is no problem with the ball bouncing around.

There is no way you haven’t noticed this... Maybe you’ve just become immune to it over time. But the ball bounces around the rim multiple times and goes in waaaaay too often!!! All of the scenarios stated in the OP are falling victim to this issue. I really don’t see how you’ve missed this lol! Maybe I need to record it every time it happens throughout one game and you’ll see what I mean.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Rookie

The only time I've seen it play Plinko is when users are fighting over the ball when it's about to touch the rim(i.e. committing egregious acts of both offensive and defensive basket interference) or excellent releases.

I also agree it happens on free throws but it looks realistic to me

https://www.twitch.tv/orlandotill

Protesting PNO
MTU

PSN: OrlandoTill
Old 10-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
MVP

EZMADDEN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoTill
The only time I've seen it play Plinko is when users are fighting over the ball when it's about to touch the rim(i.e. committing egregious acts of both offensive and defensive basket interference) or excellent releases.

I also agree it happens on free throws but it looks realistic to me

It’s not that it looks unrealistic, but that it happens so frequently. It just kind of kills the flow of the game way too often. Way more than it occurs in real-life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMADDEN
There is no way you haven’t noticed this... Maybe you’ve just become immune to it over time. But the ball bounces around the rim multiple times and goes in waaaaay too often!!! All of the scenarios stated in the OP are falling victim to this issue. I really don’t see how you’ve missed this lol! Maybe I need to record it every time it happens throughout one game and you’ll see what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMADDEN
It’s not that it looks unrealistic, but that it happens so frequently. It just kind of kills the flow of the game way too often. Way more than it occurs in real-life.
Have you asked yourself why it happens?

So for a long time 2k has these visual cues for jumpshots. And your right 2k16 was the first. So for jumpers. You can tell what your release was. By how the ball hits the rim. If it long hitting the back of the rim it's a early release. If it's late, it hits the front of the rim. They basically expanded on that simple logic. Perfect releases go splash. But all the situation you just explained above are for contested or ify jumpers. I've seen just as many misses as makes. That's why I was like is this.

You have to also understand that it's a simulation of real life. Your right in that it doesn't happen that much in real life. But in 5 minute quarters. Yeah, you might not see it if you had scaled like real life.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
MVP

EZMADDEN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Have you asked yourself why it happens?

So for a long time 2k has these visual cues for jumpshots. And your right 2k16 was the first. So for jumpers. You can tell what your release was. By how the ball hits the rim. If it long hitting the back of the rim it's a early release. If it's late, it hits the front of the rim. They basically expanded on that simple logic. Perfect releases go splash. But all the situation you just explained above are for contested or ify jumpers. I've seen just as many misses as makes. That's why I was like is this.

You have to also understand that it's a simulation of real life. Your right in that it doesn't happen that much in real life. But in 5 minute quarters. Yeah, you might not see it if you had scaled like real life.

Okay I do understand what you are saying here. Maybe it just seems more prevalent to me because I play with shooting on Real Player % and 12 min quarters so it’s happening more times in a game for me than say someone playing PNO on 5 min quarters.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Rookie

I'm with you man. I've always said it happens way too often as well, especially on the cpu's end in my career. Rarely do I get the same bounce, and when I do, it usually rims out. The basketball gods have to shine their grace on me for it to have the lucky bounce the computer gets.

Outside of it being an eyesore and unrealistic at the rate it happens, what really pisses me off is that you can tell when the ball's momentum will or supposed to carry it out and fall outside the rim, but it doesn't. Like some force field is tapping it back in. I hate watching the ball lean almost completely outside rim, only for it to stop and go the other way when I attempt a rebound.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »