Home

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT

This is a discussion on TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT

For a lot of us, the game will be released tonight at our local Gamestop. (This is assuming you sprung for the Hall of Fame edition.)

Other will wait to get it tomorrow and those without the Hall of Fame edition will get it Friday. For years I was one of those that showed up to get it first. I remember having to wait until Midnight, then it being bumped up to 11 PM and now even getting it at 9 PM.

I even remember when it was midnight, for both this and NCAA games, Gamestop would host tournaments and a lot of cool prizes could be won. They'd have pizza and soft drinks for everyone waiting. It was kind of like a tailgating experience. And you'd see people you'd usually only see once, twice a year. It was a fun time to be had.

But part of that has changed. The buzz isn't the same. Same of the faces have dropped out of the early chase all together. Gamestop, at least my local one, doesn't do pizza and soft drinks anymore. And tournaments aren't really offered and if they are you are playing last year's version instead of getting a glimpse into the new edition.

Maybe as they make the game release sooner for special editions then the standard release has helped create a divide. Maybe it also prevents them from doing two early releases and those that don't get a "Hall of Fame Edition" have to wait until actual Friday. Or maybe it is because the move from Midnight has given them less time to get some fun stuff started. I don't know.

As I've gotten older the thrill of being there opening night isn't the same. Yes, I typed that in all bold for the subject. But I don't know if I'll be there tonight. I'm sure I will as I have to make the dreaded Wal-Mart run anyway. But even though I'm looking forward to this year's version, I am not sure if I'll be one of the earlier grabbers.

I'm just wondering if some of you have similar thoughts and if the thrill of getting it the "night before actual release" is still the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Rookie

Dsabol715's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT

I recieved a voicemail from GS yesterday saying it was a midnight release which totally killed my hopes of getting it at 9pm tonight. Gonna have to wait and grab it tomorrow after work.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I do digital now and also have EA Access. I also have already been playing it on PC via Origins Access Premier but I do miss the old days of waiting in line via Gamestop for my copy, rushing home to play and gaming until about 5am when I just couldn't stay awake anymore!!

Alas, those days, along with NCAA, are likely gone for me for good but great memories there!!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

I went digital and have the HOF edition already preloaded and will be playing tonight. 10 hours to go.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsabol715
I recieved a voicemail from GS yesterday saying it was a midnight release which totally killed my hopes of getting it at 9pm tonight. Gonna have to wait and grab it tomorrow after work.
I haven't gotten a call but I can promise you that I will not do a midnight release. I'm way too old now for those. LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
Rookie

Dsabol715's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
I haven't gotten a call but I can promise you that I will not do a midnight release. I'm way too old now for those. LOL

Me too. Last year’s Madden and this year’s the Show had the 9pm release which is a no-brainer so I was thrown off by the midnight release. No way I can do that. I will patiently wait til 5pm tomorrow!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Ahhhhh...the memories man! Most of my were for NCAA. I went to several of those midnight releases. They had food, drink and the years previous game playing if you wanyed to get some games in. The lines were long, the conversation was great, especially if you had guys who pulled for rival teams. I remember one year in particular...believe it was 08's version, I was living in Greenville, NC. Half of ECU's football team was there camping out. They were all complaining about their ratings including Chris Johnson(formerly of the Tennessee Titans). They were talking about how good and fast he was. They happened to be playing UNC that year. I started yapping and saying it didn't mattet because they Tar Heels were gonna whip that anyway. Well, when they played Johnson rushed for over 200 and tacked on about 85 more receiving and a kickoff return for a TD...the rest for him was history. Needless to say his teammates were right lol.

As for Madden I never really did the midnight release. I waited for it to drop the next day. As for this year, I still have about 8 hours on my 2nd Trial version but I'm gonna go ahead and get the HOF digital version and have it pre-loaded and ready for midnight tonight.

The good ole days man!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

Yea with the rise of digital downloads the midnight release thing just isn't as big anymore. Especially considering those of us who used to attend have gotten older and this new generation never really experienced it. Everyone is pre loading and hitting go at midnight. And as far as Madden goes, yea I remember Madden was THE NUMBER ONE sports games year in and year out. It was basically a holiday. Every one couldn't wait for the new Madden. NBA 2K has kinda took that crown.

But, the impressive thing about Madden back in the day is Madden gathered a cult following without social media to help it unlike 2K. Alot of 2Ks hype is the hype train created on Twitter and Facebook. Madden was just word of mouth. Going to your buddies house to play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »