Home

Read option is broken

This is a discussion on Read option is broken within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Read option is broken

I'm thinking this may be part of the greater problem with defensive pursuit being too strong. In previous maddens the read option was a two way read on the outside defender. If he crashed down you kept it, if he stayed at home you handed it off. However I noticed that in this madden if the outside defender crashes down he can make both plays at once. Ironically he isn't affected by the new motion physics and is able to alter course on a dime to make the play. If there was any place where the new physics should come into play it's on these plays as they rely on the defense making the wrong first step, but it doesn't matter cause they can easily correct. I tried this a bunch of different ways.

Edit- somehow there are folks who couldn't recognize the issue in the other video so I've reposted my latest video to explain the problem.

https://youtu.be/jH-ZnpA9wf8

Last edited by feeq14; 09-05-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Read option is broken

The other issue, which has been an issue since I can remember is when you hit the RT for a speed burst, that triggers shed block so all the defenders are all over you.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
Pro

Cory Levy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
The other issue, which has been an issue since I can remember is when you hit the RT for a speed burst, that triggers shed block so all the defenders are all over you.
It's one of the game's ways of trying to teach players to be patient as a real life RB would be. Find your hole and then accelerate through it. You can't just get the hand off and instantly turn on the jets and glide wherever you want. The player motion this year also enforces this by making it harder to guide your players while they're sprinting.

It does get frustrating at times when it seems like defenders are all Insta-Free as soon as you turn on the jets but if you take the time to feel the process out it's pretty rewarding when you have that hole open up and can just bumrush right through it past the second level.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
MVP

I've tried so many things to see if they affect the play. No matter what I've done the unblocked defender is able to blow up the play either way.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 1

Should show more than just one video. That defender could've simply just been reacting that way. It happens in the nfl. Not saying the option is broken, I dont use it enough to know, but a one clip example doesnt really support much

I've used the read option a hand full of times and haven't seen the CPU react like that at all

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
MVP

Based on a very small sample size (probably no more than a dozen attempts) the AI always plays the QB on the option. I've had some success giving the ball to the RB. Out of some sets the hand off animation is much faster and it's actually a better play than the stock Inside Zone.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve
Should show more than just one video. That defender could've simply just been reacting that way. It happens in the nfl. Not saying the option is broken, I dont use it enough to know, but a one clip example doesnt really support much

I've used the read option a hand full of times and haven't seen the CPU react like that at all

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
What are your settings? Have you ever had a successful read option QB keep? I can post a ton of videos later.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Levy
It's one of the game's ways of trying to teach players to be patient as a real life RB would be. Find your hole and then accelerate through it. You can't just get the hand off and instantly turn on the jets and glide wherever you want. The player motion this year also enforces this by making it harder to guide your players while they're sprinting.

It does get frustrating at times when it seems like defenders are all Insta-Free as soon as you turn on the jets but if you take the time to feel the process out it's pretty rewarding when you have that hole open up and can just bumrush right through it past the second level.

Not that I disagree but the biggest thing we need to start thinking about especially for h2h games is that it doesn't work well. The guy on defense is sprinting around playing over the top of plays and actually is everywhere. So actually users on offense when they see a hole they need to be about to hit it full sprint. The 1 cut is a step in the right direction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »