Home

How tough is dynamic difficulty?

This is a discussion on How tough is dynamic difficulty? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44
How tough is dynamic difficulty?

Been playing on dynamic difficulty till now, and stat-wise I'm dominating, now I'm wondering if that difficult designed to create mostly positive results for the user? Does it keep things rather easy and kind of make sure you are winning most games no matter what?

I haven't played it enough myself to draw a final conclusion but I'm sure many of you guys have, I want to be challenged and I'm ready to move on from dynamic difficulty if the consensus is that u will hardly struggle for too long to win games.

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: How tough is dynamic difficulty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
Been playing on dynamic difficulty till now, and stat-wise I'm dominating, now I'm wondering if that difficult designed to create mostly positive results for the user? Does it keep things rather easy and kind of make sure you are winning most games no matter what?

I haven't played it enough myself to draw a final conclusion but I'm sure many of you guys have, I want to be challenged and I'm ready to move on from dynamic difficulty if the consensus is that u will hardly struggle for too long to win games.
What difficulty does dynamic have you on right now for pitching and hitting? It should tell you, whether it's at the beginning of a game, when it progresses, or when you go up or down a difficulty level. It starts low, at rookie or beginner, which is why it's a good idea to play a few practice games to bring its difficulty setting up to your speed. Increasing the slider for it can be helpful too - as long as you're progressing in the right direction.

There's no hidden mechanics with that feature - whether it goes up or down is based on OPS. So getting a bunch of extra base hits without making outs will cause hitting to go up quickly, while giving up the same as a pitcher will cause that difficulty to decrease faster.

Last edited by bcruise; 07-11-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
What difficulty does dynamic have you on right now for pitching and hitting? It should tell you, whether it's at the beginning of a game, when it progresses, or when you go up or down a difficulty level. It starts low, at rookie or beginner, which is why it's a good idea to play a few practice games to bring its difficulty setting up to your speed. Increasing the slider for it can be helpful too - as long as you're progressing in the right direction.

There's no hidden mechanics with that feature - whether it goes up or down is based on OPS. So getting a bunch of extra base hits without making outs will cause hitting to go up quickly, while giving up the same as a pitcher will cause that difficulty to decrease faster.
I'm on Veteran right now closing in on Allstar, the main thing for me is on what OPS will it try to keep you though, league average? If it's smth around that I would gladly continue with dynamic.

I mean it like will the game bump me up in difficulty if I'm hitting over, say .900 or will it let me hit 1.000 without changing anything? That's what I mean with how tough dynamic difficulty is, with making the game harder (by increasing the difficulty level) at OPS .900 being tougher than not doing so until I reach e.g. 1.000.

Last edited by geisterhome; 07-11-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
I'm on Veteran right now closing in on Allstar, the main thing for me is on what OPS will it try to keep you though, league average? If it's smth around that I would gladly continue with dynamic.
I'm not following on the "try to keep you at ___" thing. It doesn't keep you at anything - that's why you can blow through Rookie, Vet, etc. for hitting if you're getting total bases in bunches. The difficulty setting itself is what controls how tough the game is, dynamic just provides a way for that to move up or down based on OPS. Once you've found a good, challenging difficulty level (which might end up being one of the "plus" levels of each difficulty), it shouldn't move except on very hot or cold streaks you might go through. And if you're worried about that, you can zero the slider out, which freezes the dynamic progress bars - no movement up or down, and no difficulty changes no matter how good or bad you do.

Edit: I don't know how the Dynamic progress bar compares exactly to the OPS stat or what you'd need to hit (or not) to make it progress/regress, if that's what you're asking. The threshold's adjustable regardless of that, through the slider I mentioned.

Last edited by bcruise; 07-11-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

Quote:
I'm not following on the "try to keep you at ___" thing. It doesn't keep you at anything - that's why you can blow through Rookie, Vet, etc. for hitting if you're getting total bases in bunches. The difficulty setting itself is what controls how tough the game is, dynamic just provides a way for that to move up or down based on OPS. Once you've found a good, challenging difficulty level (which might end up being one of the "plus" levels of each difficulty), it shouldn't move except on very hot or cold streaks you might go through. And if you're worried about that, you can zero the slider out, which freezes the dynamic progress bars - no movement up or down, and no difficulty changes no matter how good or bad you do.

Edit: I don't know how the Dynamic progress bar compares exactly to the OPS stat or what you'd need to hit (or not) to make it progress/regress, if that's what you're asking. The threshold's adjustable regardless of that, through the slider I mentioned.
Thanks for helping man, I know I have a hard time elaborating what I mean.

I'll try on more time lol...

(1) So the dynamic difficulty goes up when you hit above a certain OPS right, so it could be coded in the game that an OPS at .500 (extreme example) is exactly what you should hit for dynamic difficulty to remain where it is. So as long as you are hitting just above .500 your difficulty will continue to rise to keep your OPS at around .500. At the same time, such low OPS would probably mean you lose a lot of games.

(2) Or "target" OPS could be 1.000, so as soon as you are hitting below 1.000 the difficulty would diminish to make it easier for you to hit and in order to stay at 1.000 OPS. That would mean you will win a lot of games, cos stats wise you are (made) to hit well.

So the with the (1) example I would consider the dynamic difficulty being really "tough", while (2) would make it rather easy for me to be successful hitting.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

I think you are reading too much into it. Or maybe I don't read enough into it?

Dynamic Difficulty, correct me of I am wrong, changes at every at bat. If an at bat (whether Pitching or Hitting) goes well it goes up, and the reverse is true. Depending on where the slider is will determine by how much it goes up or down. If you move the bar to the right it will increase your level faster and move it to the left it will slow down progress. Move it all the way to the left and progress is halted and frozen at your current level.

It is pretty much as simple as that.

One thing I wish they would add is separate sliders for Pitching and Hitting. I have never been able to lock them both in at the same time. It would be so great to be able to freeze progress at one and still be able to increase the other. Now I have to remember to turn it off and on at each half inning if I was still setting my levels.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
I think you are reading too much into it. Or maybe I don't read enough into it?

Dynamic Difficulty, correct me of I am wrong, changes at every at bat. If an at bat (whether Pitching or Hitting) goes well it goes up, and the reverse is true. Depending on where the slider is will determine by how much it goes up or down. If you move the bar to the right it will increase your level faster and move it to the left it will slow down progress. Move it all the way to the left and progress is halted and frozen at your current level.

It is pretty much as simple as that.

One thing I wish they would add is separate sliders for Pitching and Hitting. I have never been able to lock them both in at the same time. It would be so great to be able to freeze progress at one and still be able to increase the other. Now I have to remember to turn it off and on at each half inning if I was still setting my levels.
Yes, that's the simplest way of saying it. I feel like I'm overcomplicating things by mentioning OPS, but all I'm trying to say is that the game adjusts the progress bar up or down based on the in-game events that raise or lower OPS. That means that if you hit doubles, triples, or homers (the "slugging" part of the equation) instead of just singles, walks or reaching on HBP's/errors, you'll progress faster.

I'm not really talking about the OPS stat itself, though I suppose you could calculate out how high or low it would need to be to shift the difficulty level if you really wanted to. I don't really see much of a need to do that though, since the bar tells me exactly where I stand on the current difficulty level.

Last edited by bcruise; 07-11-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Yes, that's the simplest way of saying it. I feel like I'm overcomplicating things by mentioning OPS, but all I'm trying to say is that the game adjusts the progress bar up or down based on the in-game events that raise or lower OPS. That means that if you hit doubles, triples, or homers (the "slugging" part of the equation) instead of just singles, walks or reaching on HBP's/errors, you'll progress faster.

I'm not really talking about the OPS stat itself, though I suppose you could calculate out how high or low it would need to be to shift the difficulty level if you really wanted to. I don't really see much of a need to do that though, since the bar tells me exactly where I stand on the current difficulty level.
I knew that you understood it all, I wasn't trying to step on your toes. I thought I would try to simplify it for the OP. I forget sometimes that people don't get the minutia of The Show the way folks like you and I do from playing for so long.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »