Home

RBU Update - version 19.1 (download link)

This is a discussion on RBU Update - version 19.1 (download link) within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
RBU Update - version 19.1 (download link)

The RBU utility requires Microsoft Excel with Visual Basic installed (macros enabled). I use 2016 version but previous versions have been confirmed to work. The utility will NOT work with excel online or other spreadsheets.

It's been awhile since I updated (last version was two years ago), so I figured it was time.

A few changes to how ratings are calculated:

*Defensive ratings (minus arm strength) are now calculated yearly based on seasonal statistics. I've done away with using career ratings with regression built in. Additionally, I am now using only fielding error percentages for the fielding rating. Reaction ratings are now a result of fielder zone ratings (exclusively). The reasons I've done this:

1) In gameplay, it seems reaction ratings are more critical to overall fielder performance than the fielding rating. Even players with low fielding ratings can make acrobatic plays, but high reaction players are clearly the better defenders. Since the sim engine uses the fielding rating to reproduce errors, it makes sense to adjust this.

2) Players have historically had better/worse years defensively, and using career ratings eliminates this. Seasonal ratings help reproduce better sim engine results in terms of error rates. There are still problems, but there is really no perfect way to do it as long as they make the fielding rating control multiple things.

3) Doing career fielding ratings is enormously time-consuming!

As a result, you may notice some things that might not look right, such as Ozzie Smith's fielding rating being lower than expected for some seasons (because he made more errors), however, keep in mind that the reaction rating is derived from overall zone ratings and will likely be reflective of superior defensive performance. Of course, you can always change what you don't agree with. Overall, however, I think this is better.

Arm strength ratings are still done the same way.

*I've re-scaled clutch ratings to help produce higher averages with RISP and hopefully more run production, but I haven't tested this extensively. As far as I've seen, clutch ratings have little if any effect in the sim engine.

*Standard rating calculations are unchanged, aside from a minor change to pitcher stamina which effects players who were both starters and relievers (the change is probably not noticable).

*I adjusted appearance scaling for players with very low appearances...the result is these players are (mostly) rated lower now. This will keep their usage down on cpu-controlled teams. Also, I made some changes to how minor leaguers are scaled to get them in the proper ranges.

*Historical scaling is being done differently though you will not likely notice a difference. The good news is that the new method should (fingers-crossed) allow me to make next year's release coincide with the game release. No more waiting.

*I've added an option to select career ratings when compiling player lists. You will see it on the settings page. Keep in mind these are straight averages (though each season is weighted according what percentage of a player's total appearances happened in that year), so the ratings will be pushed toward the mean more (less 90s, for example).

If you have any questions, you can post here. Let me know if you come across any bugs.

JT

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rfqc5v...U19v1.exe/file

Also:

Spreadsheet which includes all seasonal ratings for MLB players:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3x3csp...ings.xlsx/file

Spreadsheet which includes all career ratings:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/46xhgc...ings.xlsx/file

Last edited by JTommy67; 07-16-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: RBU Update - version 19.1 (download link)

What is this? Utility to change ratings?
Old 07-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
What is this? Utility to change ratings?

It's a utility for historical roster makers. Contains ratings for all years going back to 1876. I've been releasing it for about 4 years now.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
Rookie

Sm27's Arena

OVR: 5

Hallelujah!!!!
I am downloading now. This is an answer to my prayers!!!!
It appears that this file at the link is a ".exe" file and not a ".dmg" file so it is only PC friendly.
Can you do a separate upload of just the ".xls" file so I can open it in Excel on a mac?

Couple more questions concerning workflow application of this utility:

I know that in your previous release, the excel macro would not look up players prior to 1950.
If this is still the case, it would be EXTREMELY helpful if you could give us a "Standalone Template" Excel template that we could either use to:

1.) Find a pre-1950 player's "best year and worst year stats" on BB Ref.com by pasting in a "lookup link", and then spit out ratings in the categories that really matter for performance in MLB the show by averaging the Best and Worst stats.
or
2.) Supply a formulated template where we could paste in the stats ourselves to spit out ratings in the MLB the Show2019 format.

Here is my dilemma...
There are some really good and pretty detailed "historical rosters" out there.
As for myself, I always have two conflicting areas that bug me and force me into choosing one roster over the other:

1.) Player models / equipment / stance / windups are close to accurate in one roster, but the ratings are too high, or not cohesive to the SDS "legends" in the game, or have not been re-rated using your previous tool, so I cannot replace "user created legend" with "MLB The Show2019 Legend" and then simply use your beautiful Ratings Utility to re-rate the In Game Legend Player.

2.) Player Models are not great in another roster, but the ratings have been done using your previous tool.

Your help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Steve McGuire
SM27
PSN-Crash_Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTommy67
NOTE: To the four people who have already downloaded, please download again. I uploaded the wrong file which will give incorrect ratings. Sorry for this...I can never seem to get it right the first time!

The RBU utility requires Microsoft Excel with Visual Basic installed (macros enabled). I use 2016 version but previous versions have been confirmed to work. The utility will NOT work with excel online or other spreadsheets.

It's been awhile since I updated (last version was two years ago), so I figured it was time.

A few changes to how ratings are calculated:

*Defensive ratings (minus arm strength) are now calculated yearly based on seasonal statistics. I've done away with using career ratings with regression built in. Additionally, I am now using only fielding error percentages for the fielding rating. Reaction ratings are now a result of fielder zone ratings (exclusively). The reasons I've done this:

1) In gameplay, it seems reaction ratings are more critical to overall fielder performance than the fielding rating. Even players with low fielding ratings can make acrobatic plays, but high reaction players are clearly the better defenders. Since the sim engine uses the fielding rating to reproduce errors, it makes sense to adjust this.

2) Players have historically had better/worse years defensively, and using career ratings eliminates this. Seasonal ratings help reproduce better sim engine results in terms of error rates. There are still problems, but there is really no perfect way to do it as long as they make the fielding rating control multiple things.

3) Doing career fielding ratings is enormously time-consuming!

As a result, you may notice some things that might not look right, such as Ozzie Smith's fielding rating being lower than expected for some seasons (because he made more errors), however, keep in mind that the reaction rating is derived from overall zone ratings and will likely be reflective of superior defensive performance. Of course, you can always change what you don't agree with. Overall, however, I think this is better.

Arm strength ratings are still done the same way.

*I've re-scaled clutch ratings to help produce higher averages with RISP and hopefully more run production, but I haven't tested this extensively. As far as I've seen, clutch ratings have little if any effect in the sim engine.

*Standard rating calculations are unchanged, aside from a minor change to pitcher stamina which effects players who were both starters and relievers (the change is probably not noticable).

*I adjusted appearance scaling for players with very low appearances...the result is these players are (mostly) rated lower now. This will keep their usage down on cpu-controlled teams. Also, I made some changes to how minor leaguers are scaled to get them in the proper ranges.

*Historical scaling is being done differently though you will not likely notice a difference. The good news is that the new method should (fingers-crossed) allow me to make next year's release coincide with the game release. No more waiting.

*I've added an option to select career ratings when compiling player lists. You will see it on the settings page. Keep in mind these are straight averages (though each season is weighted according what percentage of a player's total appearances happened in that year), so the ratings will be pushed toward the mean more (less 90s, for example).

If you have any questions, you can post here. Let me know if you come across any bugs.

JT

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0b6l6z...U19v1.exe/file
Old 07-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm27
It appears that this file at the link is a ".exe" file and not a ".dmg" file so it is only PC friendly. Can you do a separate upload of just the ".xls" file so I can open it in Excel on a mac?

I can do that for the main file, but understand the data files are separate and there is one for each year, which would mean an upload of 140+ files and I'd have to link each one. If there is another compression method that works for you I can try that, but I am unfamiliar with mac compression or .dmg files. I work from a pc.

Quote:
I know that in your previous release, the excel macro would not look up players prior to 1950.

You lost me here. Are you certain you've been using my utility? Or perhaps someone else's? My application does not query the web at all. All the ratings are pre-calculated and the data stored in the files (one for each year). There should be no problem compiling data for any season, and I've never been contacted about such an issue. Need more info to help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
Rookie

Sm27's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTommy67
I can do that for the main file, but understand the data files are separate and there is one for each year, which would mean an upload of 140+ files and I'd have to link each one. If there is another compression method that works for you I can try that, but I am unfamiliar with mac compression or .dmg files. I work from a pc.

You lost me here. Are you certain you've been using my utility? Or perhaps someone else's? My application does not query the web at all. All the ratings are pre-calculated and the data stored in the files (one for each year). There should be no problem compiling data for any season, and I've never been contacted about such an issue. Need more info to help.
OK...
on the "pre 1950" question, I guess I was using a really old version it was "Jimbo's historic roster calculator v1"...I don't know if that is you or not, but that one would only do 1950+....So that question is answered.

I have managed to open it on a mac using the "unarchiver" app from the mac store, but I am having issues with enabling macro's, which obviously are absolutely needed for this tool to function. I am using "excel 2011 for mac"
That might be, (probably is) the issue.
It is worth the $ to me to buy a version of excel for mac to be able to use this tool. You are on 2016? Have you heard of anyone having issues with 2019 version of excel?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm27
OK...
on the "pre 1950" question, I guess I was using a really old version it was "Jimbo's historic roster calculator v1"...I don't know if that is you or not, but that one would only do 1950+....So that question is answered.

I have managed to open it on a mac using the "unarchiver" app from the mac store, but I am having issues with enabling macro's, which obviously are absolutely needed for this tool to function. I am using "excel 2011 for mac"
That might be, (probably is) the issue.
It is worth the $ to me to buy a version of excel for mac to be able to use this tool. You are on 2016? Have you heard of anyone having issues with 2019 version of excel?
Okay. I'm not Jimbo and have nothing to do with his calculator. As far as excel is concerned, I initially developed the utility on (I believe) the 2010 version. I never ran into any trouble when upgrading. BUT...I really can't say anything about whether a mac could run it or not. I don't own a mac and really know nothing about it. You're guess would be as good as mine, but I would venture to say that if the 2011 mac version can't run it, then later versions would not, either. However, that's not to say it can't work, I would just seek out someone who knows about these kind of compatibility issues.

Is it worth it? Well, all I can do is tell you what it does. It's designed to run ratings for single roster year, though it can use multiple years to weight the ratings. So, for example, say you wanted to create a 1955 roster. You can set three years (say 1953, 1954, and 1955) and then set respective weights for those years, and then it will give you the final ratings for the 1955 roster, listing the players, their respective teams, vital statistics, and ratings.

It was designed to make life easier for those making historical rosters, as all the ratings are already done. But, it wasn't really designed with the "best of" rosters in mind, though some have reportedly been using it for that.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
Pro

Sm27 -

If you have a fast computer, maybe the file I just uploaded can help you. It's a massive spreadsheet (97,000+ rows) that contains the seasonal ratings for every player of every season. It's in a table so you can sort, filter, etc. however you want.

Anything over 99 is just 99.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3x3csp...ings.xlsx/file

Last edited by JTommy67; 07-15-2019 at 11:33 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »