Home

Another day and another OP Badge (Defensive) as Usual

This is a discussion on Another day and another OP Badge (Defensive) as Usual within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Unhappy Another day and another OP Badge (Defensive) as Usual

NBA 2k20's two OP badges are back. One has changed its name. same results.

Rim Protector on gold to hall of fame = OP chase down blocks even without chase down, causing offensive players to contort their bodies for no reason to give time to the shot blocker to block shots. just like last year's 2k19 :-(

Intimidator boosted to hall of fame is OP just like the defender badge was in 2k19. same results. it causes the offensive player to go into silly weird out of context animations for no reason. It affects players even if the defender is out of position to affect the shot. it will also stop your dunk animations from even occurring quite a bit just like in 19.

I played a few games in the Rec last night just to see. One game had 2 of them down lown. I'm a big(primary finisher/2ndary defender with decent post move bar .) I'm probably shooting 60 to 70% from the field. and then.... The defenders came out. lol. not actual people who defend well. I'm talking about defender archetypes. there's a difference between those two things which is why i hate those defender badges. They are so powerful you dont have to know how to play defense in order to make people miss shots, turn the ball over a ton and just plain get stuck in weird ball fumbling animations on a simple catch.

Please do not reply with get better. If I put a move on you and the defender is behind me going the opposite direction because you're out of position now. the shot contest should be 0%, or at best 20%. You can't get a boost in contest just by standing on the side of people when your guy isnt even facing the offensive player. thats silly and unrealistic. in addition it rewards bad defense and puts the clamps on good to great offensive moves.

if this is going to be the case in this 2k20. you will have all bigs being the same builds. Defender rebounders or rebounding defenders. badged out with intimidator/rim protector on gold to HOF.

which kills a lot of the fun out of those positions. now granted i havent played with a pure post player yet. so maybe thats the other OP offensive guy in the paint. if so, i still hate it. no need to make OP builds or OP badges. Just keep them at a point where it can slightly assist people. not greatly assist where people dont have to know what they're doing to compete. SKILLS GAP. you're already giving them left stick dribble moves. good grief. how much handicapping are we doing 2k?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

Re: Another day and another OP Badge (Defensive) as Usual

Another one handles for days bailout for cheesers.

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
NBA 2k20's two OP badges are back. One has changed its name. same results.

Rim Protector on gold to hall of fame = OP chase down blocks even without chase down, causing offensive players to contort their bodies for no reason to give time to the shot blocker to block shots. just like last year's 2k19 :-(

Intimidator boosted to hall of fame is OP just like the defender badge was in 2k19. same results. it causes the offensive player to go into silly weird out of context animations for no reason. It affects players even if the defender is out of position to affect the shot. it will also stop your dunk animations from even occurring quite a bit just like in 19.

I played a few games in the Rec last night just to see. One game had 2 of them down lown. I'm a big(primary finisher/2ndary defender with decent post move bar .) I'm probably shooting 60 to 70% from the field. and then.... The defenders came out. lol. not actual people who defend well. I'm talking about defender archetypes. there's a difference between those two things which is why i hate those defender badges. They are so powerful you dont have to know how to play defense in order to make people miss shots, turn the ball over a ton and just plain get stuck in weird ball fumbling animations on a simple catch.

Please do not reply with get better. If I put a move on you and the defender is behind me going the opposite direction because you're out of position now. the shot contest should be 0%, or at best 20%. You can't get a boost in contest just by standing on the side of people when your guy isnt even facing the offensive player. thats silly and unrealistic. in addition it rewards bad defense and puts the clamps on good to great offensive moves.

if this is going to be the case in this 2k20. you will have all bigs being the same builds. Defender rebounders or rebounding defenders. badged out with intimidator/rim protector on gold to HOF.

which kills a lot of the fun out of those positions. now granted i havent played with a pure post player yet. so maybe thats the other OP offensive guy in the paint. if so, i still hate it. no need to make OP builds or OP badges. Just keep them at a point where it can slightly assist people. not greatly assist where people dont have to know what they're doing to compete. SKILLS GAP. you're already giving them left stick dribble moves. good grief. how much handicapping are we doing 2k?
I'm sorry, but this sounds like poor contextual awareness of the defender. Like IRL, you don't keep attacking the Ben Wallaces, Shaqs, Mournings, Mutombos, Artests, KLs, MJs, etc of the NBA and not expect them not to have some type of mental impact on your game.

You're shooting 60% to 70% from the field against "regular" players, but you don't have a problem with that; however, you play against a defensive-type player, and it's problem due them lowering the quality of your shots?

That's on you to change your gameplan or role, so that you're not meeting the defender in their battlefield and/or having a different impact on the game.

As many badges that awards bad offense...wow.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

^ wah, just wrote a reply and it ate it.

Maybe without the quote.

Basically I just said that 2k is a very meta game that is based on shooting and rebounding, fast breaking, and having bigs that can hard counter someone from the tip is bad for balance, if you want a game that has bigs that do more than spot up or score garbage buckets.

I said Ben Wallace, Shaq, Duncan, whoever, they were all elite defenders at certain things but they weren't flawless. They had weaknesses, especially when facing scorers. It shouldn't be only one build (because that build will generally be SHOOTER haha) that can exploit them.

Amare was able to go to the rim on Duncan, Shaq was able to house Ben Wallace, plenty of people could pick and roll, pull shots, or drive on Shaq (even tho it might lead to them get flag 1'd.) I think it makes more sense to have someone be a hard counter for one thing, like be really strong at pushing people off the block, then really/pretty good at the rest. Or be really good at space eating/stopping people when you are in position (but dudes can go around you if they get a chance), or be able to be a really skilled shot blocker but maybe be foul prone or struggle with guys who take it strong.

It is a bit lame, assuming he gets 60-70% on shots that are not just him running at the rim and mashing dunk, that he'd see his performance affected in such a way that would render him useless or a spot up shooter just because someone else built their guy as a defender. Maybe he's exaggerating, but as he presented it, he's kind of right that it's bad balance. IMO.

-Smak
Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
Rookie

AshamanCarnage's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak

It is a bit lame, assuming he gets 60-70% on shots that are not just him running at the rim and mashing dunk, that he'd see his performance affected in such a way that would render him useless or a spot up shooter just because someone else built their guy as a defender. Maybe he's exaggerating, but as he presented it, he's kind of right that it's bad balance. IMO.

-Smak
So he goes up against all offensive builds and hits 60-70%, goes up against defensive builds (doesn’t change tactics) and has trouble scoring.

This seems unbalanced?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Hold up. You’re shooting 70 percent from the field and you think it’s the defensive badges that are OP?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

I saw someone say that the Intimidator badge was activating when players were taking perimeter jumpshots and they were just standing in the paint
Old 09-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshamanCarnage
So he goes up against all offensive builds and hits 60-70%, goes up against defensive builds (doesn’t change tactics) and has trouble scoring.

This seems unbalanced?

Hmm.

Some assumptions: all offense, doesn't change strategy, but Yea it's not balanced if someone goes from being a high efficiency scorer to unable to score simply because they are facing a defender primary. The way he said it implies he believes he made proper adjustments.

If change his strategy is spot up or "pass" yes that's imbalanced.

They should have better tools and more margin for error but just because dude is a post up specced defending finisher, I don't believe he should be forced to be afraid to go inside. He should be aware of the d but I agree with him that auto contests thru bumps, crazy blocks, being unable to even attempt a dunk, Yea that's not balanced.

And I'm a dude who plays d primarily. I don't even try on offense cuz it's boring. I pass to people who like stats. So someone being capable of playing good d a s being rewarded is great, but when it's automatic, that's lame.

-Smak

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »