Home

The NBA 3-Point Line

This is a discussion on The NBA 3-Point Line within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30
The NBA 3-Point Line

This thread came to mind after catching CZar on Twitter saying he doesn't enjoy watching the game as much now because of the nature of the game in it's current state. Maybe some of you saw this tweet

I then perused the replies to see what people had to say and they, unsurprisingly, had similar feelings about today's basketball; complaints about too many threes, pnr, copycat, analytics, rule changes, etc

And it got me thinking...would the game be a more interesting game with the 3point line, dare I say it, REMOVED?

Now, I will say that I do not have the same sentiments as Czar. I find today's game to be a more enjoyable viewing experience than it's past iterations. It's funny because someone replied with a clip of Harden isoing for a solid 7 seconds before draining a three. And I'm thinking to myself, "that's just the same thing as dudes back in the day standing around and letting a guy post up for 5 seconds or longer before putting up a shot". Different strokes.

I will say that that is not my favorite team to watch just like it isn't for most. I'm just not as bothered by it as most. But I digress. Lol

What my question is for those who care to answer though is would we see a better balance and an improved viewing experience overall with the three point line removed completely?

I understand the analytics and why we have this sharp spike of three point attempts. I understand why Tatum reworked his game to be more efficient by focusing on two things that the league as a whole have adopted into their offensive strategy... getting threes and layups. I get it.

But what would be loss if there was no three point shot at all? Just thinking about it quickly, I'm not sure that personnel make up of the team would have to change all that much. I would think a good team would still want good shooters on the court for spacing. These guys I presume would still be taking open looks to keep defenses honest. I still think the pick n roll would be the main method of attacking as it would remain one of the most difficult plays to defend.

But where I do think it would change things up is curtailing some of the "settling" we see with guys quick to take a three instead of working to get a better shot. And I do think we'd see a more diverse league in terms of offensive strategy. Some teams mimicking what we have currently. Meanwhile others taking an inside out approach, allowing their bigs to be the biggest threats. And everything in between.

That variety aspect I find most intriguing. But like I said, I still enjoy today's product as a whole when comparing it to games in the past.

Thoughts?

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2019, 12:35 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The NBA 3-Point Line

My thoughts are if ain't broke, don't fix it.

Houston shoots the most 3's per game: 46.4 attempts.

Houston shoots 45.2 2's per game.

It doesn't get more balanced than that.

Houston is the only team that shoots more 3's than 2's per game.

What is balance? 80 2's and 10 3's per game?

No, I wouldn't enjoy the game more without the 3 pointer.

Same with that silly "make a 3 point foul be worth 2 FT's".

Stop it, leave the game alone.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:52 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 25

The problem is if the triple line was removed teams would just clog the paint to protect the rim. The game would basically be reduced to an outside shooting contest.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:33 AM   #4
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
My thoughts are if ain't broke, don't fix it.

Houston shoots the most 3's per game: 46.4 attempts.

Houston shoots 45.2 2's per game.

It doesn't get more balanced than that.

Houston is the only team that shoots more 3's than 2's per game.

What is balance? 80 2's and 10 3's per game?

No, I wouldn't enjoy the game more without the 3 pointer.

Same with that silly "make a 3 point foul be worth 2 FT's".

Stop it, leave the game alone.
Well we're not really talking about balance in terms of just twos and threes. We're speaking more so of balance in the approach of teams offensively and defensively. If there is no 3pt line, 2s vs 3s balance wouldnt exist anyway. Lol

Take the NFL for example. The Chiefs try to put points on the board with huge chunk plays offensively. Meanwhile the Patriots are more methodical and get up the field bit by bit until they can get close and punch it in. Then we have the Ravens who've built their entire offensive identity around Lamar Jackson who is anything but your traditional quarterback.

So when talking of balance in this scenario, we're really talking about balance in the way teams look to put the ball in the basket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
The problem is if the triple line was removed teams would just clog the paint to protect the rim. The game would basically be reduced to an outside shooting contest.
Would they really though?

Is Steph Curry any less of a threat than Deaaron Fox if the three point line is removed? I FEEL like if you take away the three point line, defenses would still have to play Steph no matter what. Teams are trying their damndest to keep him in check with his shooting currently and he still shoots 50/40. His perimeter shooting would only IMPROVE if defenses opted to "clog the paint to protect the rim" as opposed to sticking to him like glue...theoretically of course. Lol

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 11-21-2019, 01:37 AM   #5
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

How you gonna write all that and not even post his tweet

Then talk about the 3 point line and that's not even what he said

Quote:
Da_Czar
@Da_Czar
·
Nov 19
I have loved the NBA my whole life. I understand that the game changes and that change is good. But there is something about todays game now that lacks intensity and makes for long boring stretches when you watch full games. It desends into college hoops with NBA rules and uni’s
Where is the cap?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

The game now is fun when shots are falling, but when you have a first half like last night between LAC/BOS where it was just both teams shooting and bricking a ton of 3's, nothing really entertaining about that.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Is shooting a lot of threes really much less entertaining than pace stalling to a near halt and throwing the ball into your post player for 40-50 touches a night? Even if the shot selection isn't your thing, I find it hard to argue that the up and down game and lots of ball movement compared to just a few years back isn't entertaining.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Just for context... This was the tweet TMagic is talking about.

And this is the play he's talking about.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1196975551765827584

I'm on the fence for this stuff. Did everyone love the Kings with all the passing when they got hot. No one. I remember my high school coach complaining about that. And Houston hasn't won it all. So there is no need to complain lol.

Last edited by jeebs9; 11-21-2019 at 11:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »