Home

Franchise Mode Too Easy????

This is a discussion on Franchise Mode Too Easy???? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3
Franchise Mode Too Easy????

Hey guys, I've been a Madden player for years, almost exclusively in Franchise mode. I think we can all agree the mode needs more immersion and improvements. But, on a very basic level it just seems Franchise mode is a little bit too easy.

I play on default All-Pro. Playing every game either with Play the Moments or playing the full game. This year I started a Franchise with the Bengals. The first season I went 6-10. Pretty realistic. Traded AJ Green and Dre Kirkpatrick to get a couple more picks. Let Dalton go. Signed Bridgewater. Got some O-line help with Austin Blythe and Jack Conklin as well as in the draft. Drafted CeeDee Lamb, Collin Johnson, and Xavier McKinney. I added Jalen Mills and Kyle Van Noy in free agency.

In 2020, I went 10-6 and won the Super Bowl. In 2021, I went 12-4 and again won the Super Bowl.

Now in 2022, after continuing to add to my O-line and adding some linebackers I'm just dominating. I'm 11-1. Turning Joe Mixon into an X-Factor player in 2020 really started to make it easy to win games.

It just seems no team, especially one in as bad of a spot as the Bengals (despite some good offensive weapons) could turn it around this fast.

My question is twofold:

Has a team in NFL history actually turned it around this quickly on a dime?? (My only thought is Jerry Jones with the 90s Cowboys, but Teddy Bridgewater is no Troy Aikman. Recently, the 49ers made a quick turnaround but they didn't win back to back Super Bowls, they just made it there).

Alternatively, is there anything I can do to make Franchise mode slightly more challenging or realistic, short of going to All-Madden, which I believe simply makes the game unnaturally difficult and move away from ratings??

If anyone else had the same experience, feel free to chip in. This isn't unique to Madden 20 either. In Madden 18, I took the Ben, Brown, and Bell Steelers to 3 straight Super Bowls.

I'm just trying to keep the spark of the game alive. NHL 20, for example, has a Franchise mode that is a little more of a challenge.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Franchise Mode Too Easy????

I think this is by design. EA knows that most people want to take a mediocre/poor team and turn them into a dominant SB champ after a few seasons. There are probably a few of us here on OS that would actually enjoy the realism of playing with a team stuck in 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 mediocrity for several years, but we are in the minority.

The NCAA series was even more pronounced. I always found it interesting that some folks who are very sim oriented gameplay wise, found enjoyment taking a low level school and over a handful of season turn them a dominant team that would win multiple NC's.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

OVR: 0

It's better than it was. Salary cap is tighter. You can no longer feed any player the ball to force progression. The draft is more realistically random. It is too easy still. Human teams get better progression, and breakout scenarios. Play five years and you will most likely have a top 5 player at almost every single position.

As per cardot, it's probably by design to invoke a sense of progress and success in players.

You can put some house rules in place. around trades, re-signing, but that's about it. Play on All-Madden by the way. With the right sliders, it's good.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
Rookie

The Black Redneck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie71
It's better than it was. Salary cap is tighter. You can no longer feed any player the ball to force progression. The draft is more realistically random. It is too easy still. Human teams get better progression, and breakout scenarios. Play five years and you will most likely have a top 5 player at almost every single position.

As per cardot, it's probably by design to invoke a sense of progress and success in players.

You can put some house rules in place. around trades, re-signing, but that's about it. Play on All-Madden by the way. With the right sliders, it's good.
What are the All Madden sliders you use?
Old 05-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87
Hey guys, I've been a Madden player for years, almost exclusively in Franchise mode. I think we can all agree the mode needs more immersion and improvements. But, on a very basic level it just seems Franchise mode is a little bit too easy.

I play on default All-Pro. Playing every game either with Play the Moments or playing the full game. This year I started a Franchise with the Bengals. The first season I went 6-10. Pretty realistic. Traded AJ Green and Dre Kirkpatrick to get a couple more picks. Let Dalton go. Signed Bridgewater. Got some O-line help with Austin Blythe and Jack Conklin as well as in the draft. Drafted CeeDee Lamb, Collin Johnson, and Xavier McKinney. I added Jalen Mills and Kyle Van Noy in free agency.

In 2020, I went 10-6 and won the Super Bowl. In 2021, I went 12-4 and again won the Super Bowl.

Now in 2022, after continuing to add to my O-line and adding some linebackers I'm just dominating. I'm 11-1. Turning Joe Mixon into an X-Factor player in 2020 really started to make it easy to win games.

It just seems no team, especially one in as bad of a spot as the Bengals (despite some good offensive weapons) could turn it around this fast.

My question is twofold:

Has a team in NFL history actually turned it around this quickly on a dime?? (My only thought is Jerry Jones with the 90s Cowboys, but Teddy Bridgewater is no Troy Aikman. Recently, the 49ers made a quick turnaround but they didn't win back to back Super Bowls, they just made it there).

Alternatively, is there anything I can do to make Franchise mode slightly more challenging or realistic, short of going to All-Madden, which I believe simply makes the game unnaturally difficult and move away from ratings??

If anyone else had the same experience, feel free to chip in. This isn't unique to Madden 20 either. In Madden 18, I took the Ben, Brown, and Bell Steelers to 3 straight Super Bowls.

I'm just trying to keep the spark of the game alive. NHL 20, for example, has a Franchise mode that is a little more of a challenge.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
Two things about your write-up stood out:

1. Trading away aging vets for draft picks. It doesn't happen that often in real life and is a quick and easy way to manipulate things a tad (especially if you're milking the top value). Now, not saying it's "cheese" or anything...but showing restraint in making those kinds of moves can add a ton of longevity. What I do in these cases is I put the guys on the block and see if another team offers me a deal. If they don't, I keep the vet rostered or release him and take the cap hit.

2. You used custom draft classes. Every custom draft class I've seen has inflated player potentials in comparison to stock draft classes. That's going to make things much easier. But even if you had a custom class that really aligned with the stock classes and was super balanced, you STILL have the advantage. If you follow college ball, you know who "the guys" are - it makes grabbing a superior class very easy. I highly recommend using the stock classes.

A couple of other things I'd suggest:

1. Try to ignore breakout scenarios. Let things develop naturally during the course of the game. He gets the stats, he gets them. If he doesn't, he doesn't. (I know...this is super hard )
2. Do not use the 5th year player option scenario (CPU doesn't get it). Alternatively, if in offline CFM, go through and take control of each team's coach the week of that scenario and run through the scenario for them (making the call for them).
3. Extend the contracts for key players during the season. They will cost more than if you wait to just before the off-season.

Madden's franchise mode isn't so much easy as much as it is easy to manipulate. To paraphrase Ian Malcolm, "Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean that you should."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
Pro

patsfan1993's Arena

OVR: 8

I agree with the sentiment here. It's definitely too easy and most likely by design. You really have to implement your own house rules in order to make an attempt at maintaining a challenge.

When playing a franchise by myself, I don't try to re-sign players until the off season. I don't sign anyone in free agency until week 3 so the CPU has first shot at the best players. If I win any awards then I edit the highest CPU player for that award- I up the development one and adjust all the ratings up to the next 5 or 0 attribute (62=65, 66=70). Any time I trade up for a pick I have to make a 3 for 1 trade. I also edit the teams in my division a lot to make them better, both players and contracts.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

It’s easy bc there is no drama.

There’s no holdouts, you don’t have to worry about player morale, don’t have to worry about managing your cap, don’t have to worry about your old qb getting pissed you drafted a new one, don’t have to worry about filling a stadium for that sweet tv money.

Then on top of that the game plays the same regardless of player ratings. There hasn’t been any life to franchise mode since the PS2 era
Old 05-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
MVP

I agree with much of what the previous posters have said. However, I would add that some elements of your franchise should feel easy, and it’s important not to lose sight of that.

For example, I’m second in the league in rushing and frequently rush for 150-200 yards a game. At times it’s felt too easy for me to run the ball and this can be annoying. However, my offensive line is ridiculously good (started with the Eagles and improved it even further) and is easily the best part of my team. Rushing should be easy because that’s what my team is good at.

There are other areas of my team that aren’t so good, and I try to be proactive about ensuring that those elements of the game are hard. My defense isn’t great, for example, so I bumped the run block slider up substantially for the CPU so they can actually run on me.

I used to get annoyed when I led the league in a particular category because I figured it must have meant that the game was too easy. But you have to remember that all teams are good at something, and records are even broken basically every year in the NFL.

Try to find ways to make things harder, but don’t lost sight of what should remain easy.

Last edited by Mackrel829; 05-28-2020 at 02:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »