Home

AO International Tennis

This is a discussion on AO International Tennis within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #737
Rookie

OVR: 0
Icon11 Re: AO International Tennis

So, I'm still playing AO career mode occasionally but I'm a bit 'patched out'... I am actually leaving it for a while so I can come back to it in a month or so and see what it a 'stable' version of AO plays like (stable as in how it plays rather than technical - its feels pretty solid on XBOX X at the moment with few performance issues other than screen tearing in some replays with busy backgrounds) - we may even be at that point now but again I'll rest it for a while and see - for all its little (and not so little) problems, I have enjoyed AO so I don't want to get to the point I get sick to death of it - I see this as something I'll dip into now and again until a better version (AO 2?) comes along...

However, despite ALL the reviews and bad press, I still have an itch to try World Tour, if only to actually have something to compare AO to / see if its really as BAD as some say.. I saw its down to 16 GBP for PC version on one of the keys sites so I did some digging and found that the steam version has had zero patches since June and the devs have all but disappeared off social media and forums... not a good sign. Unable to find the devs website (unless they are now switching to mobile games as that was the only Breakpoint Studio I could find). So I did some MORE digging and found this in the Bigben financial report for Q2 this year (freely downloadable off their website)... my jaw dropped a bit lol... (ps I would have posted this bit on the TWT thread but it seems most of the tennis players are on this thread anyway and I think its of general interest)

from the first page of the big ben summary... bear in mind this was published in July so only the pre order / first month of TWT sales would be included... I if the wide spread reports of people getting refunds are taken into account?

Video games: In accordance with the Group's expectations, the activity showed a very strong increase in the 1st quarter with a threefold turnover of 16.2 M€ compared to 5.1 M€ in the 1st quarter 2017/18, distribution for
third parties representing less than 1.0 M€. This performance is supported by the excellent commercial reception enjoyed by Tennis World Tour ®, with 500,000 units distributed. The consumer sales of this game which
promises to be a real "long-seller", remains buoyant and already exceeds 200,000 units. Patches have improved the quality of the game and other patches will be released in the future as well as additional content. This game
will therefore continue to generate significant turnover for more than a year. With online sales of Tennis World Tour ® reaching a record level for Bigben and the existing back catalogue, digital video game sales showed a
160% record increase and accounted for 24.8% of Publishing sales.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #738
Rookie

Re: AO International Tennis

Man this thread went dead all of a sudden. Retro, where did you go?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #739
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele14
Man this thread went dead all of a sudden. Retro, where did you go?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Still here.

Life got crazy for a couple weeks. Sorry guys.

Played 3 matches last night, and the game feels amazing for me. Honestly, it feels like they did as a silent patch and cleaned up some of the animations. The game feels crisper and more realistic.

Aces exist but they are not overpowering, and the net play seems to have less herky jerky animations.

Anybody else feeling that? All 3 matches last night were so fun and felt realistic. I had a few frustrations after that huge patch, but most have been fixed or gone away.

Loving the fact that it's impossible to paint lines all the time, and the rallies seem to be a realistic length now.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #740
MVP

OVR: 2

Ive Seen patch 1.37 is out...any feedback guys?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #741
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJWizards
Ive Seen patch 1.37 is out...any feedback guys?

I already had it for PC. PC seems to be the testing grounds for them.

And everything I said above holds true for this patch (For me).

I really love this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #742
Rookie

Minute 1:16
https://youtu.be/YULRz6gsbj0?t=75

There's this weird backhand shot, that should be a slice shot, but it's way more powerful, just like topspin shot.

Minute 4:04
wrong call by the umpire on the challege: the ball was called OUT, while the eagle eye says IN

Minute 4:37
the forehand half-volley is way too powerful and feels unrealistic.
- a less powerful shot would look better in terms of realism
- a slight right hand movement, from down to up, would create an entirely different shot, making a powerful shot like that more realistic.

I'm waiting for the game to receive a discount to buy it, but no price drop so far on Steam.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #743
Rookie

Rhouston's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpinsky
Minute 1:16
https://youtu.be/YULRz6gsbj0?t=75

There's this weird backhand shot, that should be a slice shot, but it's way more powerful, just like topspin shot.

Minute 4:04
wrong call by the umpire on the challege: the ball was called OUT, while the eagle eye says IN

Minute 4:37
the forehand half-volley is way too powerful and feels unrealistic.
- a less powerful shot would look better in terms of realism
- a slight right hand movement, from down to up, would create an entirely different shot, making a powerful shot like that more realistic.

I'm waiting for the game to receive a discount to buy it, but no price drop so far on Steam.
While there is no denying the improvements the Big Ant team has made since the game dropped, the novelty factor of this game is wearing off for me, mostly because of issues listed in this post. When your game has improved SO much, the issues remaining become THAT much more obvious and annoying.

For me, overheads still being WAY too unrealistic is a big issue. I guess Big Ant just has no idea how to correct this.

Same can be said for the following:
  • Awkward animations, such as the "superman" dive volley and forehands
  • Second serve speed readings being incorrect
  • Players no longer sliding on clay courts
  • Players still not lunging for drop shots they can't reach
  • Not much variance in player body types (impossible to make a super-lanky player like Zverev)
  • Not much variance in shape of fully-enclosed large stadiums (baseline wall height and curvature especially, but sponsor placement as well)

Some of this might be nit-picky, and I am happy to have good gameplay over pretty graphics if push comes to shove. However, the fact that there are still glaring gameplay issues is frustrating to say the least.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #744
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhouston
While there is no denying the improvements the Big Ant team has made since the game dropped, the novelty factor of this game is wearing off for me, mostly because of issues listed in this post. When your game has improved SO much, the issues remaining become THAT much more obvious and annoying.

For me, overheads still being WAY too unrealistic is a big issue. I guess Big Ant just has no idea how to correct this.

Same can be said for the following:
  • Awkward animations, such as the "superman" dive volley and forehands
  • Second serve speed readings being incorrect
  • Players no longer sliding on clay courts
  • Players still not lunging for drop shots they can't reach
  • Not much variance in player body types (impossible to make a super-lanky player like Zverev)
  • Not much variance in shape of fully-enclosed large stadiums (baseline wall height and curvature especially, but sponsor placement as well)

Some of this might be nit-picky, and I am happy to have good gameplay over pretty graphics if push comes to shove. However, the fact that there are still glaring gameplay issues is frustrating to say the least.
The diving volleys are just stupid and dont know why they even added them

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »