Home

Can we just get a Virtua tennis and be done wit this nonsense?

This is a discussion on Can we just get a Virtua tennis and be done wit this nonsense? within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Can we just get a Virtua tennis and be done wit this nonsense?

I have not played AO Tennis. It is the game I would have bought when it came down to it. But the gameplay videos and game clips of it I see on XBL showed something far less than polished.

I don't care how deep the career mode is if the gameplay if fugly. I was pretty close to just picking this up, as I've been kind of waiting a tennis game to play for awhile, like many others. But the more video I watched, the less willing I was to spend money on it.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
I have not played AO Tennis. It is the game I would have bought when it came down to it. But the gameplay videos and game clips of it I see on XBL showed something far less than polished.

I don't care how deep the career mode is if the gameplay if fugly. I was pretty close to just picking this up, as I've been kind of waiting a tennis game to play for awhile, like many others. But the more video I watched, the less willing I was to spend money on it.
I don't think the gameplay looks ugly in the updated gameplay videos, a lot of other people seem to agree with me as well. The game is completely different from launch.

Take a look at the updated videos on youtube or in the video section here. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by fugly. AOIT (especially now) plays like a tennis simulation for the most part, the visuals are certainly acceptable for this gen, and the animations have certainly improved.

You can always hold out for a new title, totally up to you. With the being said, I recommend the game, and wouldn't go by the reviews or early gameplay videos. I also think dismissing a title without even playing it is a bit "jump the gun". You can't give a full impression without having your hands on yhe product. This game has so much to offer, in my opinion it's easily the best tennis game on this gen. I actually enjoy it more than Top Spin 4 as well.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:

Dude the sliders have changed the game. Ball, speed of ball, aim, movement assists.....all can be adjusted to your preference. You can actually have rallies that look like pro matches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
Pro

It's actually really silly at this point to call AO nonsense, or not simulation. So I'm not putting any stock into statements like that anymore, especially if somebody hasn't even played the game.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #13
Banned

Not interested in supporting a game just because you hope the devs get it to the point that is worth a purchases by the masses some day. That gut us TGC, which is underwhelming, to say the least. It satisfies the urges of fanatics, but it fails to be fun for the average came buyer.

And to be honest, I visited your thread with all the gameplay videos, and I'm still not sold. It feels like it needs more time in the oven, as the animations are kind of janky and the graphics very last gen.

Like with golf, I'm just ready for a AAA studio to do a polished game designed to be fun first. The lack of a game has given smaller studios a shot at breaking in, but like with The Golf Club, it feels more like a game designed to get us to root for the developers to finally finish it. That's the nonsense I'm tired of.

Hell, it's what killed RMPGAT, which may have been polished, but it sure as hell wasn't done.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Not interested in supporting a game just because you hope the devs get it to the point that is worth a purchases by the masses some day. That gut us TGC, which is underwhelming, to say the least. It satisfies the urges of fanatics, but it fails to be fun for the average came buyer.

And to be honest, I visited your thread with all the gameplay videos, and I'm still not sold. It feels like it needs more time in the oven, as the animations are kind of janky and the graphics very last gen.

Like with golf, I'm just ready for a AAA studio to do a polished game designed to be fun first. The lack of a game has given smaller studios a shot at breaking in, but like with The Golf Club, it feels more like a game designed to get us to root for the developers to finally finish it. That's the nonsense I'm tired of.

Hell, it's what killed RMPGAT, which may have been polished, but it sure as hell wasn't done.

Not at one point did I say that I was waiting for the developers to get it right, I've stated numerous times that as it is now, I would pay $50 again, even $60. I stated that the game is the best tennis game I have played even in its current state. So, don't put words in my mouth. I support the devs communication and how they are taking in feedback and implementing it in patches. The game to me and many others is very good in its current state.

Janky means "extremely poor", so you may want to use a different word. The animations are not horrible, but also not perfect. Many of the animations are awesome, including most of the hit animations/running animations , as well as the foot planting ones. The games graphics look like they are this gen, and the "last gen" graphics comments remind me of the users who comment on youtube videos stating this gen NBA Live games look like "PS2" graphics, and your janky comment reminds me of those who dismiss a game with comments like "looks like trash" or "its garbage " without even trying the game.

Also, I have no problem with you stating that my gameplay videos didn't make you want to buy it, or that you feel the animations don't suit you are need work, but exaggerations (and putting words in my mouth) don't do us any good, and don't really do anything positive for people who view this thread.

Last edited by RetroDee4Three; 06-27-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: word choice
Old 06-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #15
Banned

Well, I made a thread about how I felt about the current games and what I would prefer to have. You have a great thread about a game you like. Do you really need to come here and post over and over how wrong I am to have a different opinion than you?

The graphics and animations are why AO is a no buy for me. I think they are janky. Anyone can look at them and make their own judgement.

For the record, I was never a big fan of Top Spin, either, but I would take that over AO, so I was disappointed when Tennis World was also a definitely no-buy for me.

I get it, you love your game. But there are plenty of us that want something different, if not better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #16
Pro

Again, no worries about not wanting to get the game, or not liking certain aspects based on videos/screenshots/feedback. But nothing I hate worse than buzzwords and exaggerations.

This thread is very misleading for those just browsing, as it implies that the new tennis games are nonsense. Basically, pure crap. Nothing wrong with giving constructive feedback, or stating reasons why you don't like a game, but calling something flatout nonsense when you havnt even tried it, thats a tough one for me to swallow.

Either way, continue on. Keep an eye out for new gameplay videos every so often, maybe you will warm up to the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »