Home

Ric Flair vs Hulk Hogan

This is a discussion on Ric Flair vs Hulk Hogan within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Ric Flair vs Hulk Hogan

Just finished reading Ric Flair's autobiagraphy and he mentioned Hogan more than a few times and how they've really never gotten along. He even mentioned that wrestling fans have always debated which one was better. To sum up what Ric said his fundemental comparison was to Hogan:

Hogan told his fans to "Train, say your prayers and take your vitamins." Ric's motto was to "Drink, party all night and love all the ladies."

I thought that was funny. Anyway, I'm a fan of both so its a hard answer. What are your thoughts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Ric Flair vs Hulk Hogan

Well the scheduled match for WresleMania 9 was supposed to be Flair vs. Hogan. They even did some house show matches but it got scrapped because Hogan didn't want to take on Flair or something like that.

It's kinda sad that when Flair DID eventually wrestle Hogan, Hogan basically had his way with him. (Tho they did have some good matches particularly one steel cage match on a PPV. I forgot which one tho)

Anywho if they had wrestled against each other in their prime years it would've been the biggest match in wrestling history.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

Hogan will always be the image of wrestling. In that respect, Hogan will always be more popular than Flair. As to who is better? That's debatable(SP) Flair is clearly better than Hogan now a days evident of the TLC match two weeks ago. In their prime Flair was the better wrestler but I've always thought Hogan was better at getting the crowd involved. Hogan also is responsible for quite possibly the greatest heel turn of all time. As to who I'll always like better I have to say Hogan, I've always liked Flair but he's never been my favorite. Hogan on the other hand made me fall in love with wrestling. In the end, one's a great wretler, one's a great entertainer, but both are legends. In my mind Hogan will always be my favorite, but I have a lot more respect for the legacy of Flair.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
binging

SPTO's Arena

Good post there Superstar. A lot of people piss and moan about Hogan but i've found that he sold very well, especially early in the Hulkamania years. It's just that he got stuck in the rut of formula.

Then again as i've said when Hogan is motivated he can put on some VERY good matches.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
Hogan will always be the image of wrestling. In that respect, Hogan will always be more popular than Flair. As to who is better? That's debatable(SP) Flair is clearly better than Hogan now a days evident of the TLC match two weeks ago. In their prime Flair was the better wrestler but I've always thought Hogan was better at getting the crowd involved. Hogan also is responsible for quite possibly the greatest heel turn of all time. As to who I'll always like better I have to say Hogan, I've always liked Flair but he's never been my favorite. Hogan on the other hand made me fall in love with wrestling. In the end, one's a great wretler, one's a great entertainer, but both are legends. In my mind Hogan will always be my favorite, but I have a lot more respect for the legacy of Flair.

I could'nt believe when Hogan turned heel with the Outsiders that one day on Nitro. I still remember that. Hogan was screaming at the fans and whatnot. Thats the point when I watched WCW more than WWF. NWO was born and it provided some great moments.

Hulk also got me into wrestling. I would say they're both great entertainers and who knows how large Flair could of gotten if he went to the WWF in the 80s. Hogan was great at crowd reponses. Who did'nt look forward to him "Hulking up" in each match.

As for Flair, like I said, I caught on to him later in his career but he was always great on the mic and in the ring. You know you're a legend when ppl chant "Woooo" whenever any wrestler does a chop. His current stint in the WWE has bee n great. He really impressed me with that TLC match a few weeks ago. I did'nt think he had that type of stuff still in him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 14

I know this is kinda off topic, but it always bothered me and maybe this is an alright thread to mention it it....

I like flair as much as the next guy, but I have a problem with Flair when he called Foley a glorified stuntman. This is the business of entertainment and Floey did exactly that.

Follow me on www.twitter.com/thedrozd
Old 01-25-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBucsWsoxFan
I like flair as much as the next guy, but I have a problem with Flair when he called Foley a glorified stuntman. This is the business of entertainment and Floey did exactly that.
While Flair was a bit harsh saying that it does have a ring of truth to it. You gotta look at it from Flair's perspective. He comes from an era where psychology is king.

In defense of Foley tho, he's not your typical stunt man kind of wrestler. He actually brings an element of psychology into his matches even when there are some "holy crap" moments. The other wrestlers who live on high spots just do ti for shock value while Foley at least tries to tell a story. Just look at the I Quit match against The Rock from (I think) Royal Rumble '98.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

as do I. I'm sure Flair also has little respect for most if not all of ECW. With that being said, a long time veteran like Flair who had to pay his dues by traveling from territory to territory is certainly allowed to have his opinion on Foley. Does that make it right? No, of course not, but I'm sure a lot of old timers would agree with Flair's thoughts on Foley. Back then they did it with holds, moves, basic psychology.... Foley made it big with jumps off the Cell, boiler room brawls, empty arena matches, taking 12 unprotected chair shots to the head from The Rock. After all that he was finally able to get his character through to the fans. I think if Foley doesn't do those crazy moves, he never makes it as far as he did IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »