Home

WWE NXT Thread

This is a discussion on WWE NXT Thread within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #425
Cult of Personality

OVR: 30
Re: WWE: NXT Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
Cole is awesome now, and Punk is awesome as usual. It was a great 3 man announcing crew. It's the best it's been since JR/King were at their prime. So so good.
Yeah, it was greatness. I would love these three to actually do one of the big shows. Josh Matthews the serious PBP guy, Michael Cole the outlandish heel, and CM Punk in that Bobby Heenan comedy role.

I know, it'll never happen. But I do hope that the WWE sees the positive response that Cole's turn is receiving and makes serious consideration about going back to the old ways of having face/heel dynamics for commentary.

In all honesty though, Punk's addition to the booth is nothing more than a ratings ploy. They know this show is tanking. That's why Cole and Punk are so opening ripping on it. But they figure throwing Punk out there will at least get some of us IWC guys to watch. It won't make this show into a hit lol, but maybe it starts creeping back up .1 or so.

I also think that this maybe a test for Michael Cole gaining a much bigger role on Raw(GM). He's been getting alot of mic time and cut a hell of a promo last night on his way to the ring. We all knew he could talk given he's a commentator, but to be able to do it for an on-screen promo is completely different as you're moving around, working the crowd, working the camera, etc. He looked natural.

I can't wait until he turns out to be the Raw GM and mastermind behind Nexus. He's so easy to hate, yet so good at it.

Actually, this whole thing reminds me alot of Vince's change of character 96-97 where he went from the lovable, corny PBP guy and slowly transformed into one of the most over heels of all time. Obviously, Cole will never reach those levels, but I think he'll do a damn good job.
Vets II | Washington Redskins(13-6) | Last Game: L 37-34 OT @ ATL (NFC Conference Championship)

Vets Bowl I Champion | Vets Bowl II Runner-Up
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #426
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmeH
He's so easy to hate, yet so good at it.
Is he though? When we were supposed to like him we all hated him because he can't tell a bulldog from a DDT. Now we're supposed to hate him but the heel role is hilarious so we all like him.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #427
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Is he though? When we were supposed to like him we all hated him because he can't tell a bulldog from a DDT. Now we're supposed to hate him but the heel role is hilarious so we all like him.
I never said Cole is a great PBP guy. He does a fine job doing what Vince asks of him when it comes to telling a story, which is the main thing in the WWE for a PBP guy. But I do pull my hair out everytime Orton hits his powerslam and Cole yells "SCOOP SLAM!!!"

But his new role has been very entertaining. I think he'd be excellent as a Raw GM, heel manager, or [as we saw last night] the heel of a three man booth where there's a PBP guy and a color guy around him.

Wrestling characters change often, and when they do, some guys become more/less entertaining. I'm unbiased, if a guy sucks, he sucks, but if he entertains me, he entertains me. That can change based on their role in the show. Cole was an average-at-best PBP guy for years, but heel Cole is very entertaining to me. No different than me finding Big Show to be a giant waste of space for years, yet finding his ECW Title reign in 2006 to be one of the best title reigns I can remember. Part of it is on the talent for not making their roles work, but part of it is on the staff/writers for not putting their talent in roles that fit their persona.

I just don't know where they're going with it. Cole can't go full-fledged heel on Raw and remain the PBP guy. Either he continues to play the tweener role on Mondays as he has(which bothers me for consistency reasons between that and NXT), or JR/Grish/Matthews takes his spot...which I find hard to believe will happen.
Vets II | Washington Redskins(13-6) | Last Game: L 37-34 OT @ ATL (NFC Conference Championship)

Old 09-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #428
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I never said Cole is a great PBP guy. He does a fine job doing what Vince asks of him when it comes to telling a story, which is the main thing in the WWE for a PBP guy. But I do pull my hair out everytime Orton hits his powerslam and Cole yells "SCOOP SLAM!!!"

But his new role has been very entertaining. I think he'd be excellent as a Raw GM, heel manager, or [as we saw last night] the heel of a three man booth where there's a PBP guy and a color guy around him.

Wrestling characters change often, and when they do, some guys become more/less entertaining. I'm unbiased, if a guy sucks, he sucks, but if he entertains me, he entertains me. That can change based on their role in the show. Cole was an average-at-best PBP guy for years, but heel Cole is very entertaining to me. No different than me finding Big Show to be a giant waste of space for years, yet finding his ECW Title reign in 2006 to be one of the best title reigns I can remember. Part of it is on the talent for not making their roles work, but part of it is on the staff/writers for not putting their talent in roles that fit their persona.

I just don't know where they're going with it. Cole can't go full-fledged heel on Raw and remain the PBP guy. Either he continues to play the tweener role on Mondays as he has(which bothers me for consistency reasons between that and NXT), or JR/Grish/Matthews takes his spot...which I find hard to believe will happen.
Well, I think I misunderstood your post lol

Better response:

In today's world, it's popular to hate the faces and cheer the heels.

Most people on here love Jericho, Edge, Punk, Miz, etc.

Most people on here hate Cena, Orton, Rey, etc.

Faces are boring.

Heels have character.

Hell, everyone here was in love with Orton last year during his heel run and earlier this year during his tweener role. Now he's a face and everyone bitches about his girations and limited moveset(which is no more limited than it was before).

It is what it is.

And that's why Vickie Guerrero is the best heel in the company. 95% of people just legit hate her. Marks hate her cuz she's a heel, IWC hates he because she lacks much talent. Personally, I enjoy her despite having no talent because she gets the crowd to eat our of her hand like no other.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #429
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Well, I think I misunderstood your post lol

Better response:

In today's world, it's popular to hate the faces and cheer the heels.

Most people on here love Jericho, Edge, Punk, Miz, etc.

Most people on here hate Cena, Orton, Rey, etc.

Faces are boring.

Heels have character.

Hell, everyone here was in love with Orton last year during his heel run and earlier this year during his tweener role. Now he's a face and everyone bitches about his girations and limited moveset(which is no more limited than it was before).

It is what it is.

And that's why Vickie Guerrero is the best heel in the company. 95% of people just legit hate her. Marks hate her cuz she's a heel, IWC hates he because she lacks much talent. Personally, I enjoy her despite having no talent because she gets the crowd to eat our of her hand like no other.
Have to agree here. Randy Orton does nothing different at all except for that he dosent have Legacy being his lackey's.

His moveset also is much more improved from when he was a heel.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #430
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

That is definitely a man with breasts.

Greatest picture ever.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:02 AM   #431
MVP

Trevelyan's Arena

OVR: 5

CM Punk was awesome as usual, I loved when he sat down, took that picture of josh and tore it in half, outstanding.

Also, Kaitlyn is hot as hell, its too bad she only has a month of training or something like that, she clearly has no wrestling ability at all atm, other than picking someone up while they have her in a headlock, lol. She shows a lot of natural athleticism though, so maybe in a year she'll actually be able to wrestle a match at a decent level.(Which means basically just look really green like most of the divas)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #432
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

And the show is now done, will only air on wwe.com from here on out. Like no one saw that coming.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »