Home

WWE Off-Topic

This is a discussion on WWE Off-Topic within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-27-2021, 12:04 AM   #18553
MVP

MrDubya's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: WWE Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I love Uncle Dave.

Am I being facetious, or serious?
Ya know.

This post would get more likes from Big Dave, if you had a Japanese wrestler as your avatar.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:03 AM   #18554
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury112491
No it’s not really the same at all. Of course you COULD say that as Sports reporter. And of course sometimes rumors don’t end up being true. But their are consequences to sports reporters consistently getting things wrong. They lose credibility. People stop listening/lose their job/lose followed/brand suffers whatever depending on the story. It’s in their best interest to make sure they get their stories right. If a story came out and it was proven that a sports reporter 100% just made it up, they’d be out of the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Do you watch/read a lot of sports media? It's a genuine question because if you do, Idk how you could come to that conclusion. AFAIK, guys like Chris Broussard and Stephen A Smith have absolutely fabricated rumors in their sport, yet are still on national TV. What you're describing just doesn't happen. I mean, right now in the NFL you have guys pushing trade rumors about the Dolphins/Texans while the other side says those rumors are false. One side is gonna be wrong, and I highly doubt they lose very many if any followers.

I think you hold wrestling journalism to an unrealistic standard especially compared to other sports. Not to mention it being known that some guys in the locker room talked to Meltzer as a primary source.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 10-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #18555

Suntan Superman's Arena

OVR: 11

I still find it surprising when people use Dave for more than his star ratings for matches.

Not even saying I agree with his star ratings, but if you watch enough matches and follow the stars, you can get a pretty good idea of where your favorite stuff falls on the Dave scale, like I know when he rates a match 4.5 stars I'm generally going to enjoy it a lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #18556

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan Superman
I still find it surprising when people use Dave for more than his star ratings for matches.

Not even saying I agree with his star ratings, but if you watch enough matches and follow the stars, you can get a pretty good idea of where your favorite stuff falls on the Dave scale, like I know when he rates a match 4.5 stars I'm generally going to enjoy it a lot.
What I also wonder is how only he is "the rating guy" for matches. Its literally one person's opinion that wrestlers and many fans seem to follow as THE official rating for a match.

It would be like following only one person's opinion on the rating for a movie or TV show. A movie might be 2 stars, but is it 2 stars from dozens of critics, or only 1 person?
Old 10-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #18557

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

When it comes to ratings, my main problem with Meltzer is that like 90% of his 4-5+ star matches are from the last 5 years. He'll give a NJPW match from one of their non-PPV level shows 4 1/2 stars, but he gave Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect from Summerslam 91' 4 stars. He (rightly) takes audience reaction into account heavily, but you'd think we were in a wrestling boom right now based on his ratings lol.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:48 PM   #18558
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury112491
Well I did say it’s a flip of a coin. So I’m acknowledging they’re correct sometimes. But imagine turning on the local news and you had to figure out which half of the show was accurate and which half they made up. I think they make for interesting talking points. But they’re not accurate enough for me to ever take them seriously. Let alone read a report and then proceed with a discussion as though they’re straight up fact.

I won’t lie, I do despise Meltzer. Mad respect for his knowledge as a historian in the business. But **** him. His latest exchange with Rosenberg just further cements it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Was trying to look this up, but what was their spat on Twitter about this time?

Obviously, both guys are pro - a certain company so that makes it difficult to take either too seriously.

Although, I do enjoy Peter Rosenberg's podcast from time to time (haven't listened in a while).

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Old 10-27-2021, 09:54 PM   #18559
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
When it comes to ratings, my main problem with Meltzer is that like 90% of his 4-5+ star matches are from the last 5 years. He'll give a NJPW match from one of their non-PPV level shows 4 1/2 stars, but he gave Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect from Summerslam 91' 4 stars. He (rightly) takes audience reaction into account heavily, but you'd think we were in a wrestling boom right now based on his ratings lol.
Match "ratings" are kind of stupid, TBH.

Some Youtube content creators I enjoy use them, but really it's either did I like what I saw or not. Doesn't need to have an enjoyment level from 1 - 5 to be entertaining or enjoyable, but I get I'm in the minority in that thinking.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

Last edited by J_Posse; 10-29-2021 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:07 PM   #18560
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

It just doesn’t get any better than JR calling HHH a son of a bitch
https://youtu.be/LDGOEf8Une8

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »