Home

Throwback Thursday: WWF No Mercy

This is a discussion on Throwback Thursday: WWF No Mercy within the WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 5
Bop'N Wrestle FTW!!! lol

Wrestling games have sure come a long ways. One of my favorite recent wrestling games is WWE All Stars. Sure, it was cartoony and crazily off the wall in terms of everything being exaggerated, but it had an amazing roster and was a blast to play. If a new version of that could be released that was more realistic, I'd be all over that!

Old 10-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #34
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Throwback Thursday: WWF No Mercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Did you play no mercy around the time it released or awhile after?

I can understand complaints to gameplay as it was very much a grappler but that's also part of what made it great. I wish games brought back the week and strong grapple styles.

I was mainly a playstation gamer back then myself. The acclaim games commonly get pooped on but, at the time, I thought they were great. Wwf attitude was great when it released. I remember being able to make opponents bleed from nearly any part of their body (head, arm, back, etc). The CAW system was also great, especially for the time.

The smackdown games were some of most played games. I actually strongly disliked the first game. Caw was terrible and the gameplay was just way to arcadey and fast paced. Felt more like a fighting game and not a wreslting game. Smackdown 2 was worlds better and the match types were awesome, first time table and ladder matches appeared on playstation. Me and my brother had a blast with the game. My favorite, however, would have to be Here Comes the Pain. No Mercy and Here Comes the Pain are my two favorite wreslting games of all time.
At time of release. I also was very much a PSX gamer because, again, I could not stand the N64 controller at all.

The older Smackdown games did always move very fast and more like fighting games than wrestling games, but they lent themselves well to the scenarios in which I played wrestling games - always in competitive multiplayer settings. They were a blast in that context. I never played much single-player in wrestling games until about WWE '12, to be honest.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #35
MVP

MoneyOvaHuds's Arena

OVR: 0

Here comes the pain still my goat wrestling game personally followed by no mercy then Smackdown vs Raw 2006
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #36
MVP

donkey33's Arena

OVR: 10

Yeah, this and HCTP were my top two also (loved Def Jam too but that's for another topic).

Like others have said, pure fun factor.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #37
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Maybe it's just me but I always looked at No Mercy as the pinnacle of wrestling games. But Chris I do agree I really wasn't a fan of the controller, but man was I hooked on that game.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 10-09-2016, 02:27 AM   #38
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

I racked up an impressive late fee when renting it before it was bought for me.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 10-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #39
MVP

TheBadazz's Arena

OVR: 12
New Japan Pro Wrestling Shin Nippon Pro Wrestling: Toukon Retsuden 3 for the PS1 was the best wrestling game I've played in those days. Couldn't read the instructions, but figured it out. It had the Great Muda, Scotty Riggs, Power Warrior, and so many more. The matches had a great pace. And the entrances was awesome for that time.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I did not like No Mercy whatsoever and have never quite understood the appeal.

It always looked and felt clunky to me, the N64 controller was awful (not something in the game's control but a negative to my experience nevertheless), and the music sounded bad (another limitation of the N64 hardware). The creation suite was strong, absolutely - especially compared to the first WWF Smackdown game, which had a rather awful creation tool - but that wasn't nearly enough to keep me coming back.

At the time I preferred THQ's WWF Smackdown series by a large margin, especially Smackdown 2: Know Your Role which basically lived in my PSX as my friends and I vied for all the titles against each other (SD!2:KYR is what I would consider as a classic). Heck, I even liked Acclaim's WWF games with their right-right-down-right body slams over the AKI-style grapplers (be it WCW-nWo Revenge, WCW vs The World, or whatever else I tried back in the day).

You can't ban me, I'm also a mod!
Smackdown 2: Know Your Role was, in my opinion, the greatest wrestling game. Of course it had its issues, as do they all, but the wealth of match types, options, and customizations on tap was incredible. Reading this article, it seemed it could have applied almost word for word to SD2:KYR, minus a few details. No Mercy was enormously fun and a choice I can definitely understand some choosing as their favorite, but for me it's Smackdown 2: Know Your Role that has most of my memories, and my vote.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games »