Home

Throwback Thursday: WWF No Mercy

This is a discussion on Throwback Thursday: WWF No Mercy within the WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #17
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Throwback Thursday: WWF No Mercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
That being said, my choice for best wrestling video game is the very underrated Day of Reckoning 2. Such a great but forgotten wrestling game!
That was a great game as well. They were really going for that AKI feel and they pretty much nailed it.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #18
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmreds
I've played wrestling games since Pro Wrestling on NES, and this will always be in my top 2 or 3.
King Slender for the win!
Old 10-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #19
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
King Slender for the win!
Tecmo World Wrestling > Pro Wrestling
Old 10-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #20
Rookie

victorkingchamp's Arena

OVR: 3
I still own this and the rest of the AKI N64 games. Those are some of the best designed games of all time.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #21
Rookie

Fun factor wise this is an all time great game. I think day of reckoning 2 is the greatest wrestling game ever, but this game holds a special place in my heart and day of reckoning series is akin to this game anyways. Idk if it would happen to anyone else but my no mercy would erase itself repeatedly lol, but it kinda didn't matter because back then the replay value was there.

And don't get me started on my endless hours of local multiplayer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
No Mercy was a great game no doubt, and I put MANY hours into it back it the day, but the main gripe I had with it and what kept it from being near perfect for its time was the choppiness when several wrestlers were on the screen at once. Nonetheless, it was still a GREAT game.

That being said, my choice for best wrestling video game is the very underrated Day of Reckoning 2. Such a great but forgotten wrestling game!
Couldn't agree more, I just wish I could get these style of wrestling games mixed with the newer emphasis on realism or just the throwback style of wrestling games as an alternative. I'm not happy about what I'm hearing about the Nintendo NX, but if they can't have the normal wwe 2k games and have a day of reckoning style wrestling game unique to their console, I'd be sold on that alone.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #23

jvalverde88's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Bradshaw Hammer and The Rock's jumping clothesline were the realest moves.

There's also bans awaiting those that disagree with this being the GOAT wrestling game.
Personally I prefer Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 over No Mercy. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 has a crap load of moves, awesome roster and the ability to have MMA style matches is amazing.

Quote:
Never let fear determine who you are. Never let where you came from determine where you are going.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #24
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I did not like No Mercy whatsoever and have never quite understood the appeal.

It always looked and felt clunky to me, the N64 controller was awful (not something in the game's control but a negative to my experience nevertheless), and the music sounded bad (another limitation of the N64 hardware). The creation suite was strong, absolutely - especially compared to the first WWF Smackdown game, which had a rather awful creation tool - but that wasn't nearly enough to keep me coming back.

At the time I preferred THQ's WWF Smackdown series by a large margin, especially Smackdown 2: Know Your Role which basically lived in my PSX as my friends and I vied for all the titles against each other (SD!2:KYR is what I would consider as a classic). Heck, I even liked Acclaim's WWF games with their right-right-down-right body slams over the AKI-style grapplers (be it WCW-nWo Revenge, WCW vs The World, or whatever else I tried back in the day).

You can't ban me, I'm also a mod!
Did you play no mercy around the time it released or awhile after?

I can understand complaints to gameplay as it was very much a grappler but that's also part of what made it great. I wish games brought back the week and strong grapple styles.

I was mainly a playstation gamer back then myself. The acclaim games commonly get pooped on but, at the time, I thought they were great. Wwf attitude was great when it released. I remember being able to make opponents bleed from nearly any part of their body (head, arm, back, etc). The CAW system was also great, especially for the time.

The smackdown games were some of most played games. I actually strongly disliked the first game. Caw was terrible and the gameplay was just way to arcadey and fast paced. Felt more like a fighting game and not a wreslting game. Smackdown 2 was worlds better and the match types were awesome, first time table and ladder matches appeared on playstation. Me and my brother had a blast with the game. My favorite, however, would have to be Here Comes the Pain. No Mercy and Here Comes the Pain are my two favorite wreslting games of all time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games »