Home
Madden 12 News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson usually gets the scoop when it comes to Madden ratings, and this year is no different. He spoke with Madden "ratings guru" Donny Moore, and Donny revealed that cornerback Patrick Peterson, the former LSU great and Arizona Cardinals first-round pick, is the top-rated rookie in Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
But I'm not the only one high on Peterson, as "Madden NFL 12" ratings guru Donny Moore has informed me that Arizona's electrifying corner will be the highest-rated rookie in the game with an 82 overall, including 97 speed, 96 agility, 93 acceleration, 93 jumping, 77 catching (highest for any rookie CB), and 91 return. In terms of his defensive skill set, Peterson clocks in with 89 man coverage, 82 zone coverage, and 90 press.

Those are some beastly ratings to say the least. Speed has usually been the most important attribute in previous Madden games, so Peterson could end up being a terror in coverage and in the return game.

With the NFL lockout in effect, these ratings hold a little more weight as well. While most of the time, one could say these ratings will change after the first regular season game takes place, ratings may not need to be updated on a week-to-week basis this year if there is no season.

Nevertheless, do you all think the ratings are justified, or should another rookie be number one?

Oh, and by the way, this reveal also ties in nicely with our featured article today talking about some of the most dominant rookies from this generation of Madden games.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Dbrentonbuck @ 05/23/11 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
I just posted the same thing, the 2010 game. Not sure why you're showing me, what I just showed you. Your definition of "beat" is questionable. Allowing a catch doesn't necessarily mean a player was "beat." Also, you make a weak point to say, "Peterson should not be rated highly" just because of 3 games against Julio Jones. Julio is no slouch. We're talking about, arguably, the best WR in this years draft. You think Charles Woodson doesn't struggle with Calvin Johnson? Or Revis with Moss or Marshall?

Peterson's position specific ratings are set to an 'above average' bar. Nothing that is too high. Not to mention, we don't know exactly how ratings can swing with progression, and DNPP.
Because what you posted was chopped up and didn't show the whole play. And, in this case, "beat" is not questionable in the least. PP had JJ one on one... man to man.... head to head. Jones made a move to the inside and and got separation and an easy TD. I never said PP shouldn't be rated highly. If you are going to quote me, then quote me accurately. I said that PP should not be the highest rated rookie and that he shouldn't be rated 89 man coverage or a 90 press when he has clearly been beaten numerous times man on man. To rate him 90 press would mean you would need to rate Jones a 95-97 release. I am saying those ratings are too high for both players. I am saying that an 89 man rating IS setting the bar too high for Peterson. I am using Jones as an example to say Peterson shouldn't have been the highest rated rookie because on the field, in the three meetings they have had, Jones has proved he should be rated equal or better than Peterson. I am not putting down either player. They are both good. I think they will both be decent pros. I just disagree with EA's ratings on Peterson. It sounds to me like Donny Moore fell in love with a player and over rated him a bit. To rate a guy an 89 in man coverage who has never covered an NFL WR is a little much for me, but like I said, we can change ratings so its no big deal.

# 42 Bengals28 @ 05/23/11 03:57 PM
Man I just wanna know the rest of the 1st rounders, usually we've known for a month by now.

# 43 Jukeman @ 05/23/11 10:41 PM
I'll be happy with the 82 OVR (high rated rookies in general) if they're dynamic player thingy is low..

# 44 Bengals28 @ 05/24/11 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
I hope 9ers' QB Colin Kaepernick has a 90 something speed rating..I mean look at the kid, everyone else on the field looks slower. And he had one of the strongest arms in the draft.

Of course everybody looked slower it was Boise St. It wouldnt look like that against in SEC defense. What did he run in the 40 though?

# 45 sniperhare @ 05/24/11 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals28
Of course everybody looked slower it was Boise St. It wouldnt look like that against in SEC defense. What did he run in the 40 though?
Taylor ran fastest at 4.51, Kaep had 4.53, Locker & Newton 4.59 and Gabbert 4.62 with Ponder at 4.65. Those are all the QB's under 4.7

According to this http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2041874498

Taylor would have 86 SPD, Kaep 85 SPD, Locker & Newton 82 SPD, Gabbert 80 SPD and Ponder a 79 SPD.

Peterson ran a 4.34 which would translate into a 94 SPD. So Madden gave him a boost to 97 SPD for some reason. Maybe Madden has a 3 point boost to speed to show the NFL as being faster?

# 46 Tengo Juego @ 05/24/11 02:16 PM
That's NCAA's scale. Madden's could be different.

# 47 brettmickey @ 05/24/11 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
Taylor ran fastest at 4.51, Kaep had 4.53, Locker & Newton 4.59 and Gabbert 4.62 with Ponder at 4.65. Those are all the QB's under 4.7

According to this http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2041874498

Taylor would have 86 SPD, Kaep 85 SPD, Locker & Newton 82 SPD, Gabbert 80 SPD and Ponder a 79 SPD.

Peterson ran a 4.34 which would translate into a 94 SPD. So Madden gave him a boost to 97 SPD for some reason. Maybe Madden has a 3 point boost to speed to show the NFL as being faster?
Personally, I don't like going by 40 times for speed ratings. I care about game speed, not shorts and a tee shirt speed. In a game against SEC opponents no one looked consistently faster than PP7. he plays like 97 speed even if he doesn't run it in a controlled climate which is the combine.

# 48 WFColonel56 @ 05/24/11 09:35 PM
WRs have gotten past pp7.......95 is a more accurate spd for him imo

# 49 Dbrentonbuck @ 05/25/11 03:15 AM
PP7 must have a hell of an agent lol.

# 50 LBzrule @ 05/25/11 07:45 PM
I'm waiting to see what Jimmy Smith will be. If PP7 is an 82 Smith cannot be too far behind.

# 51 Bengals28 @ 05/26/11 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I'm waiting to see what Jimmy Smith will be. If PP7 is an 82 Smith cannot be too far behind.
Maybe a 75 or 76

# 52 LBzrule @ 05/26/11 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals28
Maybe a 75 or 76
I can accept that as an overall, but I think his man coverage should be higher than PP7. Speed about 2 or 3 points lower, Zone Coverage around an 80. I just don't see PP7 outshining Smith in the position skills. He's a better athletic freak yes, but position skills looking at their body of work over the last two years, there is no way. As a matter of fact, Smith, and this is just me, should be rated higher in man coverage. If Peterson is

97 speed
96 agility
93 acceleration
93 jumping
77 catching (highest for any rookie CB)
91 return
89 man coverage
82 zone coverage
90 press

I'd say Smith is

95 Speed
93 Agility
91 Acceleration
90 jumping
54 catching
50 return
92 man coverage
80 Zone
90 Press

As for the position skill set looking at tape on both players Smith showed better man coverage skills than PP7 in the last two years. But will EA make it so? Smith does not have a lot of interceptions, however, he has only allowed 11 catches in two years when matched up with WR's in man coverage and only given up 1 first down. That's saying a lot. As I said in the other thread though, some might argue, well it's the big 12 and they do not have elite WR's in that conference. That might be true, but even Georgia's offensive coordinator had to move AJ Green away from Smith so that Green could make plays on Jalil Brown. I think PP7 is the best athlete in the draft, bar none and as such should be rated high since he was taken high, but I think Smith is a better CB. Ultimately though I think both will struggle if they have to cover the small Wes Welker type WR's, but excel in covering the leagues big physical wideouts.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.