Home

Are you going to preorder Madden 18

This is a discussion on Are you going to preorder Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #169
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Are you going to preorder Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
The gameplay of Madden 17 was some of the most fun i've had in a sports game last year. Aside from the QB awareness and scrambling out of the pocket when under pressure, the gameplay has been extremely solid.

I've played NBA 2k17, NHL 17, MLB The Show 17, and FIFA 17.

Madden 17 trumped all in terms of gameplay, IMO.

So if you mean 3-4 years behind as far as CFM, hmm yea maybe. Gameplay? Not a chance. Madden is AHEAD in Gameplay.

I like madden, now, as well, and 17 truly is the best madden in terms of gameplay. But, I would agree with the other guy that it's still 3-4 years behind where u would expect this game to be as a major sports title (and, of course, as the ONLY NFL title ).

That being said, no way on the Fifa, man. Lol. That game is 10 years ahead of madden and always has been. That game has been totally playable and enjoyable for 10+ years. Fifa 17 was amazing, imo. U have total control of your players, total control of the pitch, great ball physics, great jostling for positions. The buttons all make sense and almost always do what they're supposed to do. Hardly any wonky animations. The players do what they're supposed to do.

Those types of things, while better in madden now than before, still just don't stack up to FIFA at all, imo. So, I think, for me, specifically, because of Fifa's gameplay, I have to say madden is 3-5 years behind.

And, I was sort of debating with a friend of mine the other day, we've heard the args from time to time that 'football is harder to create than soccer.' That's a bunch of bull. Every sports game is about creating physics, and creating the proper AI for all players to utilize those physics and do their jobs. So, it's really all the same.

And, I know Fifa has more resources, so maybe that's why. But, really, Fifa is 3-5 years of madden. And, unfortunately, I think madden sort of limits themselves a little with the whole 'canned animation' argument. No canned animation will ever look as good as a free flowing physics based engine. So, that's a gripe I'll always have with madden. Lol

All that being said, madden 17 was totally solid and I'm looking forward to the legacy improvements and frostbite improvements to some of the animations, hopefully, in 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #170
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
To me '17 gameplay regressed from '16.The qb play was obviously worse and the line play certainly didn't get any better. Working with sliders in '17 was a nightmare comparatively. I personally would rather play '16 if these issues aren't worked out but to each their own.

I think you're right. The AI was certainly a little better, specifically to the QB running aspect. I liked the updated jukes some in 17, though. But, yeah, the AI did seem a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #171
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
To me '17 gameplay regressed from '16.The qb play was obviously worse and the line play certainly didn't get any better. Working with sliders in '17 was a nightmare comparatively. I personally would rather play '16 if these issues aren't worked out but to each their own.
Once I finally latched onto sliders, Madden 17 was a great playing game that I am still enjoying.

Agree, to each their own.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #172
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I was in a M17 league that got in a good 5 seasons. I had a great time and I'm looking forward to running with them again this time around. I'm seeing steady progression with the team that's running things right now, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the game. I pre-ordered a digital copy the other day.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #173
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
3-4 years behind what?
Where it should be. The series is constantly running in place. There are plenty of great ideas the devs have, but after they are put in the first year, they are hardly fleshed out anymore. TrueStep was something I was beyond excited about, we were promised after the first year of it's implementation that all 22 players would have it in "TrueStep 2.0". Here we are today where the locomotion is not TrueStep 2.0 and is instead something they are going in circles with constantly trying to fix. Take a handful of features every year and they end up having the same fate.

It's like when I get an idea in Arma or Cities Skylines and the first few nights I pour a lot of effort in learning how to script a certain even or I try and maximize space in a region in my city to make a new transit project work flawlessly, but after that first week I get a new idea and leave my other projects not even halfway complete. I end up with 10 missions that all had great ideas, but I never fleshed them out. I have a city that had so many projects for the people just come to a halt and end up wasting money(I guess that I am doing my best real life government impersonation).

Maybe my expectations for this series are too high every year, but I just got tired of seeing minimal growth year after year with the series. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate everything about the game. I loved True Step like I mentioned. It had so much promise. The new throwing trajectories and catch types brought new air to the game that it sorely needed, but even those mechanics need so much more work in my mind and it looks like another year of them not changing for what I think would be the better.

Like I said before, I was interested more than I have been in a few years when I saw the new playstyles. I was anxious to see the new sim experience. Then we learned that what we've been playing is what they are going to call sim. That turned me off immediately. I don't see the current state of this game as sim at all. It has sim aspects, but it's still a very gamey experience overall. My definition of sim is apparently too different from what the devs see as sim and that's where the root of my disappointment stems from really.

That doesn't mean others that find it sim enough for them are wrong in my eyes, it's just I personally don't feel the game in its current state resembles what I see on Sundays enough. I know this is a very simplified example and obviously developing a game for each sport is drastically different, but when I play The Show in my franchise, the majority of the actions that play out on my screen during each game look more organic and represent the sport more realistically than what I feel Madden does when I play it. I can go back and watch a stream of one of my franchise games and when I am pitching from a broadcast view, with a clean screen, a ball put into play will create a sequence of events that has the majority of everything I see on my screen animate very lifelike and in a believable way. I can't get that with Madden. I may make a throw or a cut that looks amazingly realistic, but I can go through the replay and find so many animations and interactions that just are nothing like what you'd see in real life.

I could be too picky with this game, who knows. I envy those who buy it every year and enjoy it.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 07-03-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #174
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
what is the best buy trade in?
$25 trade-in of your old game toward the new game. Then if you preorder you can get $10 in rewards zone certificates. Combine those two things with Gamers Club Unlocked and it works out to about $15 for the new game.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #175
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
$25 trade-in of your old game toward the new game. Then if you preorder you can get $10 in rewards zone certificates. Combine those two things with Gamers Club Unlocked and it works out to about $15 for the new game.
Nice. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #176
Rookie

btvs's Arena

OVR: 6

Yep. I got GOAT edition for Xbox. I think its gonna be a great year for Madden. I wish we would get some more franchise mode info though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »