Home

NBA 2K24 MyPlayer Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K24 MyPlayer Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2023, 11:49 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: NBA 2K24 MyPlayer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
Yep agreed. It seems like maybe an unintended benefit to me as a badge *****.

In general re: badges, I agree with illwill; I liked when they were first introduced as a way to capture things that weren't included in the ratings. But it's gotten to the point where it just basically replaces ratings in a lot of cases now and are often too overpowered to the point of breaking the gameplay IMO.
Its a mix of having too many broad attributes and too many specific skill badges. It's needs to be one or the other. Like I said, Clamps, Fast Feet, Ankle Braces aren't really necessary with Perimeter defense being there. Same as Glove with steal and rebound Chaser with rebound. Same with Needle Threader with Pass Accuracy or Middy Magician with Shot Mid. There's a couple more that fit that mold. But, it felt like they added badges just to combat other badges when it wasn't necessary.

Badges feel like the be all end all, when it shouldn't. If the game was like All Pro 2k8, then yes build gameplay around badges and star levels. But when you already have attributes, making badges OP and necessary, it makes attributes worthless. Having a 90 3pt rating with no badges, shouldn't be less effective than 75-80 3pt with a lot of shooting badges. But that's how the game currently is
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2023, 12:55 AM   #26
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

One thing I hate this year is those stupid GOAT Indicators/Abilities or whatever the hell you call them in games. When you activate one it will slow down the game for a few seconds letting you know that you activated it and it's ****ing stupid. I wish there was an option to turn it off.

Last edited by zello144; 09-20-2023 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-20-2023, 01:20 AM   #27
MVP

tru11's Arena

Its a shame ratings still dont matter like they should.

Even grades for jumpshots mean very little.

Just silly how you can pick drummond base with like a 74 3pnt and shoot lights out from 3 lmao

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Operation Sports
Old 09-22-2023, 12:03 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

I have been playing The W until I decide to start MyCareer closer to the NBA season starting. It is nicer to start out at 85 OVR. I'm doing it as a way to farm VC. They obviously changed it. It's always been 500 VC. But in 2k22, you were able to get around from actually playing games by fouling immediately. Now, you have to play the games lol. I'm not trying to buy VC. I got 10000 VC from the MyTeam Trendsetter reward and 6000 VC so far from The W. I know Season 2 and 3 will have 10000 VC award, so that should help me when I do start.

I can tell how strength and lack of defense makes an impact. I usually do athletic defensive first front court players. My The W player is an offensive PG. So, I am a complete liability on the defensive end lol.
Old 09-23-2023, 01:31 AM   #29
Rookie

doorknobb's Arena

New patch made playing NBA games impossible. Brick city for you and the AI. Lost a lot of progress on the badges and literally had zero progression on any badge last game, but the AI also shot terribly even with minimal defending. When Lonzo had more blocks than made shots, I cant imagine it’s intentional. Can still play street ball it seems, but since the badges are the same set of badges, not gonna risk the few golds and 1 HOF i managed to get to for now, which sucks.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:39 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknobb
New patch made playing NBA games impossible. Brick city for you and the AI. Lost a lot of progress on the badges and literally had zero progression on any badge last game, but the AI also shot terribly even with minimal defending. When Lonzo had more blocks than made shots, I cant imagine it’s intentional. Can still play street ball it seems, but since the badges are the same set of badges, not gonna risk the few golds and 1 HOF i managed to get to for now, which sucks.
Really hope that's not the case. Looking at earlier videos, it seemed like AI were making shots. I hope they buff up AI Teammate shot making. Ideally, I want to be able to start MyCareer around the start of the NBA season
Old 09-27-2023, 04:18 AM   #31
Rookie

doorknobb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Really hope that's not the case. Looking at earlier videos, it seemed like AI were making shots. I hope they buff up AI Teammate shot making. Ideally, I want to be able to start MyCareer around the start of the NBA season
Well, they fixed some parts in the 1.3 patch (my previous comment was about the 1.2 patch), but it was still a mess playing with my build and I just sucked it up and started a new build. I had rebirth but still, that's one hell of a way to get $50 from a player, just alter the mechanics to ensure that your build goes from fine to unplayable 30 or so games in (I play every game on the calendar).

Basically, the devs have decided that to nerf how ridiculously effective perimeter defense rating became in the last patch, which made it possible to contest 3s almost effortless even from afar but also made playing perimeter-oriented offenses impossible since even terrible perimeter defenders can shut an offense down, now height of the defender seems to matter more in relations to the perimeter offense rating. This makes sense except the playbooks and hence, playcalling doesn't take into account this change, so a lot of plays being called that works at release are not going to actually work in practice. Once you complete one of the quests you can call plays which ameliorates this but breaks immersion because how often does a rookie SG/SF end up the playcaller of a team, even a rebuilding team, 15-20 games into a season?

It's a work in progress for sure. It's probably smart to wait until season starting for a more complete product - final products shouldn't be tweaked in such significant ways every 10 days, and if this was a product in any other field and it's not for the sake of patching 0days that by definition are exploits that couldn't be known until exploited in the wild or disclosed, it wouldn't happen. The thing is it's hard to tell if they'll actually end up by the start of the season a working, more or less balanced game or an even bigger mess. I think that they certainly have enough players to be able to offer some sort of incentive for a small subset of players to playtest in a serious way for balance and testing out different in-game situations that can easily fall into blind spots for devs, and the platforms the game is on certainly allows for it. Instead the patches feel hurried and a step behind and that's worrying because if you end up in a patching-the-patches loop you're in trouble. This last patch is certainly patching the last patch in part and patching for gameplay balance/bugs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2023, 07:42 AM   #32
Rookie

What would your advice be to someone who hasn’t played mycareer in a while and looking to get started? Is the only way to get a good player by spending VC? Do you do the mycareer story challenges?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »