Home

Stop Buying Virtual Currency, please

This is a discussion on Stop Buying Virtual Currency, please within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Stop Buying Virtual Currency, please

cant be mad at 2k for finding a way to take peoples focus off and take advantage of people who find programs and mods to get 99s or players of that nature. besides the whole buying VC is only a pain really in blacktop battles. simple solution, dont play them. theres always team-ups. and if youre not earning enough VC to your liking in mycareer there's about 5-6 other ways to earn VC throughout 2k. hopefully that money goes into the betterment of our gaming experience in the near future (*cough*updates)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #42
Rookie

adwin7's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigShot1
Here is my problem with the whole "you don't have to buy it, its optional" thing:

The amount of skill points you use to earn in My Player is now FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAR less than previous installments. Do all of the people disagreeing with the OP know that for scoring 75 points in a game in MyCareer you get a measly 150 coins?

150 COINS??!!? That's not even half enough to buy a bronze player. I don't remember what the reward use to be, but I doubt its any lower than 5000 skill points, which was a ton towards improving your player.

The bottom line here is that 2k purposely made VC extremely difficult to earn, and to compound that they made things like accessories more expensive than they should be(600 for a leg sleeve?.....lol). Their goal is too FORCE people to buy VC. If they had kept VC earning equivelant or similar to that in 2k11, 2k12 and made things less expensive, then buying VC simply becomes an alternative option or an advantage but as it is now, you can't continue to do what you could 2k11 and 2k12 without buying VC.
I agree with this. Nothing wrong with selling VC but it is too difficult to make otherwise(especially in mycareer). I dont have an issues making vc by playing but I got impatient. I would have had to play ten to twenty exhibition games to get a silver player. I didnt want to wait that long. I would have had enough next week and would have been a better player for it but I got a life and had money to spare so....
Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #43
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14

I don't have any problem with VC or people being able to purchase it. That being said, the basics should be free socks, sleeves, armbands etc. team color or otherwise, even the name-brand equipment. But, you should have to pay for the stat boosting equipment and 3500+ VC depending on the value of the boost for it would be a reasonable amount. The clothes, gameday attire the animations, moves and stuff for blacktop and whatnot should have to be paid for too. I like that VC is used for buying stuff and upgrading your players stats, you have to choose between making your player look good or play good.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMartin
How amazing will it be to see someone spending over 40 bucks on VC, to see him improve his player but then he saves the game and the next day he tries to load it and the file is corrupted. And you can start all over again. Talk about being robbed.

This is something that WILL HAPPEN. It's going to be fun reading those threads if the person isn't too ashamed to tell
It does feel as though this hypothetical scenario is inevitable, doesn't it? This strange new VC system combined with a mandatory auto-save feature seems like trouble just waiting to happen, particularly with money involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigShot1
How lame and unrealistic is it that the #1 pick in the draft, with their ENTIRE year's worth of salary, can buy a PAIR of socks? For comparison, lets take a look at how much Anthony Davis is going to be making this year and if he were to decide to buy a $10 pair of socks.

$4,286,900/10=

428,690 pairs of socks....

I went to create a legend mode, and even in that mode, the top of the line superstars only make 1960sp/3years. That's what isn't realistic.

Everybody here can chose to ignore it and continue to buy VC, or you can show some pride as a gamer and stand up for your rights. You give someone an inch and they take a mile, this will only be the beginning....

What happened to paying $60 for a game and getting the full package? No micro transactions...and no DLC.
I am in agreement with your posts on this topic. It seems as if 2K consciously opted to divorce themselves from a real life experience in regards to My Player and My Career. The coins, the 1/5 yearly salary accessories, the generic shoes...

I also feel something impure is afoot with the ability to purchase virtual currency with real life money. I understand a company's goal is to earn cash, but I do also like to think there's honor involved in there somewhere as well. And the manner with which they set up this system does not sit well in that regard, particularly when placing a steep price tag on wrist bands.

Moreover, I believe I read the MyPlayer jewelry is only available via real life money. My brother didn't believe 2K would do something like that so we gave it a closer look. I clicked on a 2K MyPlayer watch to see the price. It wouldn't show the price, so I clicked again for more details. Suddenly, 2K showed a pop-up that said "Purchasing". I flipped out and nearly gave myself a hernia turning the game off before the transaction could take place (though in retrospect I don't think I had enough MS Points anyway). Many aspects of this VC setup smells fishy.

Last edited by VDusen04; 10-06-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 16

I really just have a problem with the accessories.

That stuff used to be free. I actually like the idea of earning the accessories though. It's kinda RPGish and gives purpose to the pieces....but man that stuff is expensive and costs more than actually making your player better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 0

This has been a issue for alot of gamers but some of us payed no mind....now our beloved 2k is doing ......NOW we see the issue.....
Old 10-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm in agreement with most of what is being said here.

Having to pay for accessories? Things that were free to use right away in previous versions of the game? That's just not right.

Also using the same system to purchase accessories AND upgrade your guys stats? How does that semble any realism at all? Maybe it's an opportunity cost thing, where each hour spent in the gym, equals an hour given up shopping? I don't know. I just don't think any basketball player at any point in time ever had to sacrifice getting better at basketball for getting basic equipment like socks, shoes, headbands, arm bands, etc. So why should my virtual self have to do so?

I understand both sides of the argument. VC is there for people who don't want to wait and have to play other game modes just to enjoy their MyCareer. But when you have people shelling out cold cash, just to buy basic things that were available right away in previous games, is absurd.

If the cost of items was rationalized, that'd be a good fix.

But bravo 2k. All this extra money they seemingly are acquiring can only mean: a) hopefully a better product moving forward and b) the continuation of VC and other micro-transactions to be prominent in future games as well.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm never wasting my money on VC or any other gimmicky **** I've seen. One of the things that I hate most about the EA games is all the nickel and diming. In my mind purchasing VC was never an option. I actually enjoy how it's more realistic and that I'm not a superstar halfway into my first season on career mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »