Home
News Post

The NBA 2K9 patch has been released for the Xbox 360. The PS3 patch should be released sometime tomorrow. Please post your impressions here.

Here is the original link, that talks about the patch.

NBA 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 J-Unit40 @ 12/02/08 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai-O
Alf/Retro jerseys still don't show on the team select screen in the association.
Are you referring to the delay of them not showing or just not showing at all? That is one little thing that has annoyed me with 2K9. It takes about 4-5 seconds for the jersey to show up in the selection screen.

# 122 King Gro23 @ 12/02/08 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taur3asi3
I tried backing down Chamberlain with Cowens and got pushed damn near to mid court. Only game play issue is that im starting to get fouled on every drive to the lane but hopefully sliders'll fix that.

Also unfortunately CAPS and legends still dont show up in the league leaders section during season/association.
caps show up in league leaders if you qualify for the categories

# 123 Kully @ 12/02/08 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Are you referring to the delay of them not showing or just not showing at all? That is one little thing that has annoyed me with 2K9. It takes about 4-5 seconds for the jersey to show up in the selection screen.
They don't show at all in the association unfortunatly. Not a huge deal for me, but I did wish they could have gotten to it.

Still happy overall with the patch.

# 124 Pared @ 12/02/08 10:59 PM
Just a tidbit for you video makers, the same "click both bumpers to get rid of the replay circle" is in there again.

Have fun!

# 125 TCruz @ 12/02/08 11:02 PM
Alright I'm going to make a post because I want to quell a lot of things being said.

1. The 2k camera view, which I'd been using in spite of the lag, works incredibly smooth now. I have yet to see one hiccup through three games.

2. The free throws are also smooth, flawless, and you'll actually have to get used to there NOT being lag. Which is why i missed like 8 free throws in my first half of playing post-patch.

3. The game plays soooo much better. I can't even begin to explain it. A few days ago none of us even thought a patch was coming out. I posted on someone else's thread and said this game can be tweaked to become the best recreation of the sport ever. And sure enough, this patch makes it that.

Aside from numbers 1 and 2. There's many other things. Help defense is definitely improved. By far. The CPU actually used screens and to my amazement, took midrange jumpers depending on where the screen was set and how strong it was. I was in awe. At one point Kevin Harlan said "he really surprised them with that mid range jumper, he was open, so he took the shot" And I'm thinking to myself, yeah, that absolutely surprised me.

Blocks feel a LOT more realistic. As does the flow of the game, it's really hard to explain. I had been playing it on HOF. But I played on All-Star with only shooting slider tweaks. And the game is just ridiculously fun now. Your guys continue running on fast breaks and don't stop to catch the pass (Thank God). The post game feels totally different. Using David West in my first game I couldn't back either Kevin Love or Al Jefferson down. So I had to rely on his mid range game. Also gone is the hop-step-travel that was in there. You can still do the hop step spin, but only if you have yet to dribble. If you pump fake more than a couple times your defender will basically just rip the ball out of your hands. And the computer also seems to be way more alert to deep passes, etc. And will pick you off if you try to throw a deep cross court pass, or a deep pass off the fast break.

The game just feels way more realistic now, I really hope everyone gets to play this game with the patch soon. I've seen so many negative comments and I'm trying to figure out why. For me personally this just put this game over the top as the best basketball game of all time. I played 3 games, and I lost 2 of them. And not for 1 minute did the game feel scripted or predetermined. I felt as though I had an equal chance to come back as I did to lose. And that was so cool.

If anyone has any questions or I missed anything feel free to ask and I'll try to look for it and find out for you.

Patch = Godsend/Early Xmas present

# 126 Taur3asi3 @ 12/02/08 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gro23
caps show up in league leaders if you qualify for the categories
The caps apparently automatically dont qualify for ppg, orpg, rpg, apg, spg, and bpg but still show up for everything else. I'm not sure why this is because my Kareem cap should've led the league in ppg and rpg but it says DNQ despite him playing 41 minutes a game, all 82 games, and leading the league in shots.

# 127 Fresh Tendrils @ 12/02/08 11:11 PM
I played one game in my association with Nogs rosters and futures sliders and didn't notice a change. I also played a game on All-Star, default sliders and rosters with the Cavs against the Wizards and noticed PitP were still about 90% of the overall points. I'll keep playing around with it, but so far I haven't noticed a lot of difference personally.

BTW, what settings was the 2k camera on pre-patch? Something seems off to me even after adjusting the height and zoom.

# 128 richmo @ 12/02/08 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I played one game in my association with Nogs rosters and futures sliders and didn't notice a change. I also played a game on All-Star, default sliders and rosters with the Cavs against the Wizards and noticed PitP were still about 90% of the overall points. I'll keep playing around with it, but so far I haven't noticed a lot of difference personally.
Same way here. I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet, but with Nogster's roster and at default sliders, I haven't seen much of a difference either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCruz
If anyone has any questions or I missed anything feel free to ask and I'll try to look for it and find out for you.
If you're using any, whose rosters/sliders are you playing with?

# 129 The 24th Letter @ 12/02/08 11:46 PM
you sure you have the patch? maybe the rosters and sliders worked to well? lol b\c im noticing HUGE differences. I LOVE that the CPU actually goes on slumps....I might have to stop playing on All Star.

# 130 Fresh Tendrils @ 12/02/08 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
you sure you have the patch? maybe the rosters and sliders worked to well? lol b\c im noticing HUGE differences. I LOVE that the CPU actually goes on slumps....I might have to stop playing on All Star.
I'm assuming it finished downloading. Plus, when I exited from association mode and went to quick game, it didn't freeze.

# 131 TCruz @ 12/02/08 11:51 PM
RSM - I was actually planning on downloading various rosters and tendencies today for the first time. Then I saw the patch came out so I stuck with all regular stuff. The game I just played was great. I shot 51% for the game, and my opponent shot 47%. I was winning quarters by like 1 or 2 points, or losing them by 1 or 2 points. They tied it a few times but never took the lead. Yet the whole time it didn't feel scripted as it had in the past.

I have my own sliders which are a combination of various sets found on here. But after I downloaded this I set all tendencies besides commit foul, play passing lanes, and contest shots at default. It'll take me a few games to figure out where the game needs tweaking. But as it stands the last 3 games I played were the best 3 I've ever played on any 2k game ever. I don't even think I need to mess with anything at all, to be honest. Though I may find something later on. As it stood everything about the game that I already liked got better, and the things I hated got fixed. I have no complaints at the moment.

Everything just seems more realistic. I had a game using the Hornets and David West pulled down 13 rebounds, 6 offensive, and Tyson Chandler pulled down 15 rebounds, 4 offensive. It was the first game I've had since owning 2k9 that two players had double digit rebounds on the same team, and the first time I'd ever had double digit offensive boards without using Yao Ming or Dwight Howard. It's awesome. I feel like I just bought a new game entirely.

# 132 The 24th Letter @ 12/02/08 11:55 PM
Is All Star a little easy for you guys now? or is it just me?

# 133 escono15 @ 12/03/08 12:19 AM
I nw play on HOF with BL's sliders with nogsters rosters

all-star and superstar became way too easy

# 134 initialm @ 12/03/08 12:25 AM
just a simple question for you guys who are using the patch...
>is there any improvements on the edit player feature? such as changing the "weights" of the players? because the weights control how the player's body type will look like even though that there are only 3 types of body types..

# 135 jfsolo @ 12/03/08 12:32 AM
As someone who has a "good disk" before the patch, I must have got the "good patch" as well.

New things that I'm seeing using all the same settings that I was using before.

More deflections, bobbles, and strip attempts(by the CPU) in the paint.

CPU defenders are more aggressive on defense: on the ball, denying on the wings, crowding shooters, and bodying up players on the block. Tony Parker was picking up Conley 3/4 court for most of the game and was even able to get a charge on him in the backcourt.

Blocking Jumpers is now much harder-should be a little harder for the User- but its very realistic for when the CPU is on D. They can get a hand up on the shot, but don't have that super natural reaction time on the raise up anymore.

The back down settings may have swung a little too much toward the too difficult side, but its much better now. I use to be able to back anyone down with rail thin Hakeem Warrick, but now he can only back down small guards. Mark Gasol can still chew up most post defenders, but when Tim Duncan was on him, it was very difficult to get a good shot off.

The automatic quick spin and drop step moves trigger way more often now in the post, especially if the defensive man is a really poor low post defender.

CPU is much more aggressive in shooting mid range J's even if the defender is in their kitchen. I had Ben Gordon put the ball on the deck and pull up for 17 footers, on 3 straight possessions.

Bigs attempt more tip ins then before-creating more dynamic play on the boards.

The Dunk Standing ability of Bigs has been improved as well.

That just some of the newness I'm seeing. There are a few things that didn't get touched that I would have liked to see tuned, but I loved the game before, and its been improved quite a bit.

# 136 EWRMETS @ 12/03/08 12:39 AM
One thing that I think has been changed is that it doesn't seem like players slowly move into position anymore but they now seem to run to their spots. I only played a half though so I could be wrong. Also, has anyone noticed if assists are now properly calculated?

# 137 Taur3asi3 @ 12/03/08 01:02 AM
I've noticed since the patch the drop-step from the post is more effective. Prior to the patch everytime i tried it i'd pick up my dribble or go into the clumsy little hook shot where you get bumped, now im seeing drop-step dunks, drop-step lay ups, and a running hook shot.

Not sure if those were all there before but i never saw any of them.

# 138 The 24th Letter @ 12/03/08 01:10 AM
im seeing a couple of new offensive and defensive animations....im seeing alot of things lol

I might have a magic disk. I find it hard to believe people dont see a change in gameplay....unless they have a set of sliders equivalent to what the update did...

# 139 clivo1050 @ 12/03/08 01:20 AM
Just re-bought 2k9 and it feels like an entirely new game. 2k cam makes a world of difference and really good court spacing with teammates actually cutting and coming off screens frequently. Shooting percentages seem way more realistic, particularly in the paint. Online play is actually realistic now. MUCH more sim, i hope this holds up. Also, help D is solid.

Overall, the game is much tighter and smoother now. Finally feels complete.

# 140 gsr888 @ 12/03/08 01:40 AM
Will the patch work for a franchise I already started before the patch was even out? Or do I need to start a new franchise after installing the patch?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.