Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

2K Sports has released some details on patch #2 for Major League Baseball 2K9.

Quote:
"The patch is almost ready for submission as the final tweaks are being made. From there, it must go through the proper approvals which puts it a minimum of two weeks out. But I did want to share JUST A FEW (read NOT ALL) of the things it will address:

AI Agressiveness
Home Run Totals
Fly balls in the outfield tweaked so ghastly fielding errors will be a thing of the past
1st baseman stepping off bag has been tweaked
Issues with the pitch overlay hud
Fixed pickoffs, especially to 2nd base
Roster issues as it pertains to subsituting pitchers and bench"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 tinpanalley @ 03/20/09 04:14 PM
Yeah, good point SoxFan, can we all just acknowledge this now so we avoid ppages of posts and locked posts about people holding 2K to those two weeks in exactly 14 days?

# 42 Spanky @ 03/20/09 04:23 PM
One thing that wasn't on that list that I hope they fix is the outfielder slowdown that I experienced in the demo and have been reading about. Does anyone know if this is manageable with sliders?

# 43 Trevytrev11 @ 03/20/09 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
I think so as well, i mean, i can kind of understand if something that isn't ready has to be pushed out. Sometimes, developers have no control over it. When the boss says, it has to be out by so and so, then no matter where they are at, it has to be out. I have seen this happen on alot of computer games.
Not to knock the dev team here and really I'm not even being specific to this game, but all games that have annual cycles...but isn't that just poor planning/execution on their part? I'm sure they knew a year ago when the release date for this title was going to be. If they were told on Monday that the game had to be complete on that Friday, I could understand, but they had X amount of time to get as much done as they could and if they tried to do to much, meaning certain things are left unfinished, I see that as being poor planning on their part. Maybe they were forced to get so much done by those above and didn't have the man-power to get it done, etc or something siliar to that situation, but if they took on more than they could handle, I would chalk that up to poor planning.

# 44 SoxFan01605 @ 03/20/09 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
One thing that wasn't on that list that I hope they fix is the outfielder slowdown that I experienced in the demo and have been reading about. Does anyone know if this is manageable with sliders?
Not that I can see, no. I'm hoping the slowdown is related to the OF issue they are fixing and will be addressed as well. A long shot, but one can dream right?

# 45 StormJH1 @ 03/20/09 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Not that I can see, no. I'm hoping the slowdown is related to the OF issue they are fixing and will be addressed as well. A long shot, but one can dream right?
Agreed that we aren't seeing this thing in 2 weeks. "Ron" can speak to how long it might take on the developer's end, but you still have the Microsoft and Sony approval processes, which often occur unevenly, and can add anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to the wait.

One thing about "OF slowdown" is that it only occurs when the OF is locked in to a ball, and he will proceed to move "on rails" and catch it in the air, or field it on the ground. You effectively lose control of the fielder once this happens. I think this is part of the reason people keep saying that "OF's all have the same speed." That probably isn't true when you're moving them freely, but once you lose control, they appear to be slower b/c they're about to make a catch.

The funny thing is that I'm usually RELIEVED to see that slowdown, because otherwise, I have no clue if my OF will acknowledge the ball or not! I think the scariest play in the game is a line drive directly at an OF, b/c I have no idea if I can stop it, or if it's going all the way to the wall.

# 46 Jamin23 @ 03/20/09 04:47 PM
I'm glad they are patching the game but that still doesn't give 2k an excuse for putting out such a crappy game. I am so glad I didn't buy this on release day and if the game is better than it is now I might buy it, but first I will rent it again and read post on these boards.

# 47 stlstudios189 @ 03/20/09 05:15 PM
I am excited about this soooooo much. I still don't understand why it seems that nothing 2k does will please some people. If you are going to let a baseball game make you go out and trade in your xbox with all you files etc... and still spend extra $$ just to play the show so be it. I have been very satisfied w/ this game and have stated in a few other threads that this game is a 6.5-7.5 with a ton of potential. I am excited for the possibilities and this patch could make this game great, if you are so upset and won't try it that is on you.

# 48 Shadymamba @ 03/20/09 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillhimes
Im holding out hope that there is some kind of fix to this game. As mentioned, this game would be a 9.0 if everything worked. Ive been seeing more and more people complaining about freezes in franchise mode...NOT GOOD
dude i know man..you play a 1 hour game only for it to freeze going back to the menu screen...thats a big

# 49 nccomicfan @ 03/20/09 07:07 PM
if outfield fielding snafu's are COMPLETELY eliminated (meaning outfielders catch when they should, react to balls properly, and no slowdowns) this patch is a winner for me....outfield play as it stands now is a game-killer for me

# 50 Bahnzo @ 03/21/09 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by young_bucs_fan
dude i know man..you play a 1 hour game only for it to freeze going back to the menu screen...thats a big
I just had the worst game...three...THREE missed fly balls in a row, all resulting in triples, then the AI tries to suicide squeeze. I know I'm not catching the guy at home so I toss it to first. Guy just stands there, batter runs right through him and is safe..no tag even.

Then in the 11th inning, the game freezes when I pinch hit for the pitcher. Good job 2k!

# 51 Guffers @ 03/21/09 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by young_bucs_fan
I had this happen with the Show the other night. I made it into the 10th inning in tense spring training battle, I had come back from 4 runs down to finally take the lead....then the game freezes and its all for nought.

# 52 Scooter3 @ 03/21/09 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick02
To me all that matters is where video games are going. Compare 09 where it is today to 08 and u have a better game. Compare it to 08 after the patch and we could be looking at something close to the show. To me ratings mean nothing half of them are done by people who have never played a sports game before. You can tell by reaing there articles instead of just looking at there score.
This is good news I agree this is a better game than the 08' game out of the box. This patch will boost the quality of this game. Happy VC is in charge.

I have two games this year that I love.

A couple of things that I would like to see next year is:

1) Offer all the legends in the free agents list. I want to play with them in my franchise or season modes...

2) 2K9's face tool is weak please go back to the drawing board and come up with a more in depth offering.

3) Just bring back 2K3's Home-Run visuals.

scooter....

# 53 budsticky @ 03/21/09 10:24 AM
In regards to the patching issue in general, it has certainly changed things. I know for me personally, I will never buy a sports game on day of release anymore. Maybe I'm older now and have better impulse control, but I used to be first in line for the yearly Madden releases and 2K baseball releases and stuff like that. These days I won't buy a sports game until it has been out at least a week or two. This caution has saved me a lot of money on games that in the past would have ended up as coasters. Just in the past two or three months I have saved myself $100 by passing on Front Office Manager and MLB 2k9 based on stuff I have read here. Yes, I can hear the trolls barking already about how I can't tell if I don't actually play the game. I think I can tell from reading well thought out reviews whether I will like a game or not. And the flaws I have read on these games let me know I made the right decision not to jump on them.

I wonder how many beta releases sports developers have to put out until they get enough people like me who are gun shy to buy a game early to where it significantly effects their all important early sales numbers.

# 54 thor-17 @ 03/21/09 10:45 AM
Do you think they could patch the dirt blowing across the infield to look as good as it did in 2k7 and 2k8? Not the little balls of dirt that don't dissapate as they cross the field. If they fix everything listed in the patch and that, it would be a great(better than it already is) game. Who's with me?

# 55 stealyerface @ 03/21/09 11:13 AM
How about just take the dirt-balls out completely. It looks fake, it doesn't actually happen that way with clay, and it looks ridiculous. JUst take that code out of there.

syf

# 56 asu666 @ 03/21/09 01:03 PM
This one has a lot of potential for people without abn Xbox 360, but it may be too little too late now. Most of this should have been addressed prerelease.

# 57 jeffy777 @ 03/21/09 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
How about just take the dirt-balls out completely. It looks fake, it doesn't actually happen that way with clay, and it looks ridiculous. JUst take that code out of there.

syf
Completely agree. The PC version allows it to be turned off, so if they don't want to move it completely, it would be nice if we at least had the option to turn it off in the console version too.

# 58 tj1182 @ 03/21/09 05:43 PM
I hope they fix the gloves. They look like the gloves from the 1920's.

I'm happy they have listened to us and is giving us our second patch before the season begins. The game is enjoyable and frustrating, hopefully with this it will take out the frustration.

# 59 tj1182 @ 03/21/09 05:49 PM
Also, I'm hoping for an additional fielding cam. I feel like I'm at the Nationals stadium with that ariel view, and I hate watching games at that stadium.

# 60 77ers @ 03/21/09 06:17 PM
game need us ...... we not need game patches are good

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.