Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The latest Madden NFL 10 blog is online. Letting the "Wildcat" Loose.

Quote:
"Throughout the season we have witnessed many different teams use variations of the Wildcat, but no one used it more effectively and extensively as the Miami Dolphins. In the Dolphins version of this offense, they placed running back Ronnie Brown at the “Quarterback” position. They then lined up running back Ricky Williams at slot receiver, and often times brought him in motion to either receive or fake a handoff from Brown. The Dolphins also use an unbalanced line by moving the left tackle over to the right side of the formation and lining him up next to the right tackle. The Tight End moves down to replace the left tackle and is still an eligible receiver because he is on the end of the line and uncovered (You’ll see a good video example of this below) by another receiver."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 daplayawitdafunk @ 04/27/09 09:32 PM
Ian...

Something from the Blog that I believe is being overlooked is the Jet PA Sweep. I think this play should be more of an option type play. That is the beauty of the Wildcat. Predetermining pass or run pre snap kind of takes away from its nature of deception. I think this option would go along way in helping the defense of the Wildcat as well. It makes users of the Wildcat actually have to read a defense before making a decision for better or worse.

It should be a basic option play with an ability to A) Hand the ball off, B) Take it yourself or C) Pass it. We have seen a QB sweep option type play in previous Madden's the only difference here is that there would be an option to pass.

Please dont forget 4 Player Co-Op in Madden 10. Sorry to beat a dead horse.

# 102 Ian_Cummings @ 04/27/09 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Honor
Probably too good to be true.

Looks good, but how many house rules will I have to make for myself, to keep from abusing it? Will the CPU defense adapt to it, to prevent it from working every time?
I really got to see Adaptive AI in action today because I was running this play over and over and over again (with 'always on first down' set) until I could get a good video example, and sure enough they started shutting me down in the backfield with all these crazy shifts and blitzes. I was actually quite surprised (and had to re-boot ).

# 103 Ian_Cummings @ 04/27/09 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplayawitdafunk
Please dont forget 4 Player Co-Op in Madden 10. Sorry to beat a dead horse.
I didn't forget sir.

# 104 NYyankz225 @ 04/27/09 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I really got to see Adaptive AI in action today because I was running this play over and over and over again (with 'always on first down' set) until I could get a good video example, and sure enough they started shutting me down in the backfield with all these crazy shifts and blitzes. I was actually quite surprised (and had to re-boot ).
I'm sorry for asking again Ian but you said something about this blog explaining why this Wildcat wouldn't be a cheesefest (unless the "elite 8" hinted at it and not you). Any more info ?

# 105 daplayawitdafunk @ 04/27/09 09:37 PM
Quote:
I didn't forget sir.
My Hero.... I bow at the feet of thee. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Me and the boys gonna have some fun this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 106 Anti Honor @ 04/27/09 09:37 PM
Quote:
A Madden wish come true, if that's the case.

Nice blog, indeed.

# 107 Jump @ 04/27/09 09:38 PM
Looks good.

One minor detail that bothers me.

The tackle animation on the counter play. Nothing wrong with the animation, but the whistle always blows before the runners knees are down, and the ball is spotted about a half a yard short of where it should be.

I know this because it happened a lot in NCAA 09. Only a really minor thing, but it bothers me.

# 108 Bgamer90 @ 04/27/09 09:38 PM
Quote:
I didn't forget sir.
lol nice.

Ian, how effective would you say the CPU is when using wildcat?

# 109 dbshady @ 04/27/09 09:38 PM
Dude, Im not a Wildcat type of a guy, more of a spread and 1 RB set guy. But this Wildcat is pretty cool.

First thing I noticed, and maybe that's why I use the spread... The handoff, or Fake handoff was pretty quick.

Im used to play action taking too long and me getting sacked, so I never used it. It looked like Ronnie Brown, especially on the power had plenty time to fake it and dash, I like that.

# 110 Ian_Cummings @ 04/27/09 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
I'm sorry for asking again Ian but you said something about this blog explaining why this Wildcat wouldn't be a cheesefest (unless the "elite 8" hinted at it and not you). Any more info ?
I don't remember saying that...I think that might have been KANE_DB.

Just like in real life it can be shut down with the right defense. The playbook guys actually just recently came up with a list of plays that they determined as 'wildcat stoppers' so we could tag them for the CPU to use in Adaptive AI (and just normal play-calling AI). When they're more sure with those plays and the game is in better shape, maybe we can release videos in a blog of those plays vs. the Wildcat.

# 111 LBzrule @ 04/27/09 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l NErd l
I hate to agree with this guy but he is right.
This will be abused. However, I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best........
I don't think it will. I can't say right now because of NDA, but I think they will be doing another blog.

# 112 ch46647 @ 04/27/09 09:39 PM
Excellent blog Ian!! I cannot wait to get my hands on this game. The only gripe I have is that players still seem to turn on a dime and not have much momentum. Not sure if this was just a bug or what.

On a good note The Watcher said the other day that player momentum, acceleration, weight and overall gameplay was on par or had surpassed 2k5 (In his opinion). That is great news because I never liked 2k5 much but they did do a great job with all of the above.

# 113 Valdarez @ 04/27/09 09:41 PM
Quote:
AWESOME Mr. Valdarez. Posts like this make me so happy...after working on this for so long it's really nice to get some positive feedback right along side the problems. I agree 100% with your evaluation, and to be frank there is a lot worse stuff going on outside the frame of those videos. I was actually really pissed off today (and called QA over to let them have it) because a ton of stuff is broken now (that wasn't before I left for New York) and they haven't bugged any of it.

Anyway, thanks for this. I wish all posts were like this.
Thanks. The thing that worries me about those instant turns is that one of the items that I consistently see in Madden '09 by the defense when they make unrealistic INTs. There's an instant turn, followed by a jump in the air, and then a float to the ball for the pick. When I see the instant turns it makes me concerned that the issues in the defensive coverage might not be addressed properly, which would greatly affect the passing game.

On a side note, can you give us a break down of the videos that were played at the normal game speed, and which ones were slowed down during the replay so we can get a better feel for the game speed?

# 114 MikeMcMahon @ 04/27/09 09:41 PM
Quote:
This would make a great future blog. Running the same play over and over again and highlighting defensive adjustments made.

# 115 Jump @ 04/27/09 09:41 PM
Quote:
I didn't forget sir.
Thank you.

# 116 Bgamer90 @ 04/27/09 09:42 PM
Quote:

Just like in real life it can be shut down with the right defense. The playbook guys actually just recently came up with a list of plays that they determined as 'wildcat stoppers' so we could tag them for the CPU to use in Adaptive AI (and just normal play-calling AI). When they're more sure with those plays and the game is in better shape, maybe we can release videos in a blog of those plays vs. the Wildcat.
Alright thanks.

# 117 NYyankz225 @ 04/27/09 09:42 PM
Quote:

Thanks. Yea, right below your post is LBZ hinting at what I was talking about....I believe it was him originally . I'll see if I can't squeeze some more info out of him lol (jk don't want him getting in trouble). Nice job as usual Ian! Thanks for going the extra mile with these videos even with the difficulty.

# 118 KANE699 @ 04/27/09 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Here's my breakdown, with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Madden Video #1 - "Jet Sweep" play out of the Wildcat
  • Good - hike, fake handoff, transition to run by QB/HB
  • Bad - transition to normal running by #34
  • Bad - end of play by #34 (they need to continue hunkering down faking the run, or stop running sooner)
  • Bad - weird running animation for #65 (crab legs)
Madden Video #2 - "PA Jet Sweep" Wildcat w/ Pat White
  • Good - hand off, tackling animations, even Ginn is happy at the end of the play!
  • Good - Game Speed looks good (is this replay or in game speed???)
Madden Video #3 - "Counter" play out of Wildcat formation
  • Good - Nice tackle animation and end of play
  • Bad - Block animation by #66 on #97 could have more life (just a little tap there then #97 turns around almost instantly)
  • Ugly - #97 has an almost instant 180 degree turn after a block (thought that was fixed?)
  • Ugly - 88 Turns back to get a block rather than continuing up field
Madden Video #4 - "PA Jet Sweep" Wildcat w/ Pat White
  • Good - Nice fake hand off and blocking
  • Bad - Someone should wake the cameramen up and let them know Miami scored, they seem oblivious
  • Ugly - CB to the left can be seen making an instant turn to go up field (more instant turns / missing animations)
  • Ugly - The tight end turns up field incredibly quick with no sense of momentum
  • Bad - The TE able to dive that high and an animation never really seen in football diving for the pylon, Id save this animation for 99 agility and have a lower diving animation ala maybe the first down dive with possibly sticking the ball inside the pylon for the td
  • Good - Nie ball wobble on Pat White's pass
The big things that caught my eyes were the instant turns. I saw this in the trailer, on the Fallon show, and now on these videos.
Added some more

# 119 daplayawitdafunk @ 04/27/09 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayGod53
In regards to 4 player co-op.....

This reply right here was better than that wildcat blog could ever be!!! Thanks Ian!!!!!

Thats what Im saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That made my day. A thousand thank you's Ian. You have no idea how much I have missed this from Madden.

# 120 Droopy03 @ 04/27/09 09:43 PM
Guys first thing that I would like to say is that I think EA is heading in the right direction to make this a better game for the hardcore gamers and casual gamers. This wildcat play looks really good except the last vidso I think needs to be addressed a little bit. But I would like to look at the Franchise mode and a few things I would like to see in the game.

Franchise mode

1.) EA can we focus more on on the week leading up to your next game in franchise mode? I mean it really just feels like another exbition game. Can we have like a scouting page or something in the fashion? We dont know what our opponent likes to do or what they have been doing to win ball games. I mean can we have some type of scounti where we can maybe see the others teams likes and dislike. I would love to go into a game and prepare for the game and not actually just play it and that is what it is. I want to tell my team that we need to do leading up to the game you know like focus on stoping the run, put pressure on the QB, or maybe even something other teams have done with success. This is a copycat league and as madden say this is in the game and part of the game. I think it would just make it more like a franchise mode game and not just a matchup.

2.) When it comes to the draft one big thing that is missing that really just gets to me is the way you scout a player and to know what he does. For example there are over 50% of the teams in the league that run a 3-4 defense why is this mot more of a focus. When we recruit a player why are there not any DE/LB that we can rscout. in a 3-4 defense the most import thing is to have a good nose taclke and pas rusher and most of these guys are DE converting to LB. Maybe if we can scout a DE and we can choose what we want our scouting team to focus like can this player play in space or can he get to the QB. This is something big that is lacking. Once again I want it to be a franchise game and not feeling just like a matchup in exbition mode.

3.) EA please I like running the ball is there a way that your opponents team gets tired and wore down through out the game if my team is winning at the line of scrimmage. I want to see the defense on the other team get tired. Once again I know the focus this year is if it's in the game than EA has it in the game and this is a big part in the game.

4.) EA please tell me we are focusing more on the defense side of the ball this year. I want to be able to dominate my opponent. I always seam to be the best in run defense but when it comes to pass defense I'm always ranked in the last 3 teams in the league. Please somebody tell me what im doing wong. I'm not blowing the CPU out by 50 points where they are in the position where all they are doing is passing the ball. Yes I do have some 21 point leads sometimes but come on last in the league in pass defense. It doesnt matter if you are running man to man or zone blitzes or just mix your coverages up I cant ever stop the run. Somebody tell me why is the please.

5.) EA sometimes I like to chosse head coach to choose my plays or even madden to choose my plasy, but sometimes im like what the heck are they picking. It could be 3 and 3 and my head coach or madden will choose a quarter defense. Is there a way that part of the game will get much better? Can we have our defensive cord pick the plays if we choose him to off of his rating and his agressive liek and dislike?

6.)Last but not least the 3-4 defense. Can we please focus on this please please please!!!!!! First off I dont want my Middle backer to be in order on the depth chart by there overall rating. can we have a Weak middle backer and a Strong middle backer int he depth chart page. These postions are different attributes to play the position. storng back is more a run back and takes on more blocks and weak backer can run alot better and is better in space.
Can we have a nose tackle and not just DT. Come on now the DT in a 3-4 defense is really the ends and they should be listed as RDT and LDT. And this brings my point back to the draft when we scout these guys we would like to know what these players ideal of scheme they need to play in.

Please responses to this and let me know I'm not the only one thinking this.

P.S. Ian I hope you read this.

Thanks,

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.