Home
Backbreaker News Post

The Backbreaker demo is now available on the Marketplace. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"BACKBREAKER™ is a new, revolutionary football experience that takes you straight onto the field. Breakthrough euphoria tackles, non-canned animation, and stunning on-field graphics make BACKBREAKER™ the first truly live football game."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 881 Dianwei32 @ 05/25/10 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I just saw on my Twitter account via Pastapadre and PSNtwitter that the demo is not coming out today and is probably delayed a week or 2.

Ouch. I feel bad for you PS3 guys... Tecmo first, now this. Do they hate football over there or what?
The BB team is not exactly doing much to endear themselves to me. I was looking forward to getting some time to play the demo before the retail version came out, but I guess that it's just too much to ask that the PS3 fans be treated equally with the 360 fans. I understand that it's probably Sony's fault that the demo won't be out today and not the guys at 505/NM, but they were originally planning to release the demo June 8th anyway...

Granted, I already have BB fully paid for on pre-order at Gamestop (traded in some recent games I've finished and got $60), but if I didn't I would be very hesitant to pick it up at this point. A lot of things that have gone on have given me the impression that the PS3 version might not be up to snuff with the 360 version.

# 882 Matt Diesel @ 05/25/10 06:16 PM
Bad news. I wanted to try it on PS3 too to see if there were any differences.

# 883 swaldo @ 05/25/10 07:09 PM
The quote below came from Rob, the associate producer of BB which was posted on the BB forum this morning (after someone asked when the PS3 demo would release)...

"It's out of our hands now and with Sony. We fully expect it to release today."

Sony dropped the ball, they were given the code in plenty of time to put it out before release. And this thread is for impressions, perhaps take this discussion to a separate thread? If not it's gonna be 30 pages of

# 884 RaginCajun @ 05/25/10 07:50 PM
So apparently you can block every single field goal attempt. Take control of the linebacker lined up just behind the defensive line and move him over a few feet so hes in between two of the linemen. You will be unblocked every time. Hit up on the RS to dive at the ball. Done it 10 times in a row now. Im sure this will be abused as hell online.

# 885 fiedler2k3 @ 05/25/10 08:11 PM
does anyone have an extra 48hours code please? please, PM the code.

thanks in advance.

# 886 bcruise @ 05/25/10 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedler2k3
does anyone have an extra 48hours code please? please, PM the code.

thanks in advance.
Wait...what? Is this a timed demo?

# 887 fiedler2k3 @ 05/25/10 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatisback
No, he is asking for a 48 hour code to be a Xbox Live Gold Subscriber so he get DL the demo early.
yes please, anyone! I want to play the demo so bad, I cancel my gold live since I get my PS3, but no demo for PS3.

# 888 swaldo @ 05/25/10 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
If you hold Right Trigger before the snap all you then have to do is just time the snap with your left stick to attack the QB and you get your explosion off the line.
I still can't explode as fast as my other linemen, it's like I'm in slow motion. Also, when you go into aggressive mode it zooms the camera in so sometimes you can't see the ball. In that case the only way to time your rush is to watch the player next to you - so of course you still get off slower than them. Unless it has to do with ratings, I'm using the LE so maybe I'll try a stud RE on a good team.

Currently though this is ruining my enjoyment of playing a DL, which is what I played in High School football so I can't re-live the good old days of blowing up QB's .

DB's and LB's are a blast though...

# 889 Kbjunior @ 05/25/10 08:38 PM
Im guessing since we didn't get a Ps3 demo maybe it comes out June 1st on tuesday when the next Ps Store updates..I dont know but that would be dumb

# 890 swaldo @ 05/25/10 09:05 PM
Here is an example of what I was talking about regarding the defensive camera (how you can select your own custom angle prior to the play with the right stick.)

Here is the pre-play default camera for the CB. Not bad in long yardage situations if you're expecting a pass...

Attachment 24816

And here is the post snap view. I don't like how the camera jerks to the right right after the snap, I think it's distracting...

Attachment 24817

Now here is a custom set angle I made prior to the snap. It's got a nice view of the QB, RB's, TE and the camera still moves with the guy I'm covering nicely. The beauty is that the angle will stay in this position after the snap unlike the default angle mentioned above...

Attachment 24818

After the QB dumped off the ball to the RB I was able to read it and cut across the field without having to adjust the camera at all. I actually got in on the play and whacked the RB's head when he was tackled...

Attachment 24819

PRE-PLAY CUSTOM CAMERA SETTINGS - IT'S THE WAY TO GO!

# 891 Solidice @ 05/25/10 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAdrianPI
When are the XBOX silver(DAMN U MS) getting this download? I will dust off my 360 to download the demo since SONY is F#ing with my BB demo for the PS3.
it's usually 1 week after. so I would guess on Thursday it'll be available for silver members.

# 892 catcatch22 @ 05/25/10 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
PRE-PLAY CUSTOM CAMERA SETTINGS - IT'S THE WAY TO GO!
You know if you press Left Trigger before the snap your guy will look at the QB and the snap for you automatically. The right stick just repositions your guy along with the camera somewhat. However if you press focus (LT) the camera will focus on the ball at all times.

# 893 boxboy99 @ 05/26/10 01:56 AM
The computer bobbled an interception and the momentum took him out of the back of the endzone and it was called a saftey instead of a touchback. Hope that was just a one time glitch.

# 894 swaldo @ 05/26/10 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
You know if you press Left Trigger before the snap your guy will look at the QB and the snap for you automatically. The right stick just repositions your guy along with the camera somewhat. However if you press focus (LT) the camera will focus on the ball at all times.
Yea but I'm still liking the custom view better. With the CB, the focus view is almost sideways. And for example as a safety playing man 2 deep it cuts off the wide reciever that you are supposed to be watching. So I'll set my camera left and see which way the WR is going while backpedaling into position, then I might flick the R stick over to the right to see if anyone is coming in on a crossing route. In focus mode it's going to stay on the QB in the middle of the field.

# 895 Sausage @ 05/26/10 08:38 AM
This game truly makes you appreciate the (A) button. In the other football games in my opinion you could pretty much force a pass and have a good chance of still making the grab. In this game if you force the ball, you will pretty much give the other team the ball. There is finally a real risk each time one forces the pass.

For 360 owners (A) button is our friend and a chance at another play, lol. Can't wait for June 1st.

# 896 TheWatcher @ 05/26/10 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
The computer bobbled an interception and the momentum took him out of the back of the endzone and it was called a saftey instead of a touchback. Hope that was just a one time glitch.
I've noticed a few rules issues. Here is one I've had several times... I make an INT, the offense never touches me, a player on my own team hits me by accident, I fall down, the play is called dead.

# 897 roadman @ 05/26/10 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I've noticed a few rules issues. Here is one I've had several times... I make an INT, the offense never touches me, a player on my own team hits me by accident, I fall down, the play is called dead.
I've run into that a few times as well.

# 898 Sigma4Life @ 05/26/10 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldash
PS3 User Expectations:

Okay, so, being a PS3 user myself, and being really upset the demo did not hit yesterday, I did the unthinkable... what someone with too much money, and too much love for a hobby would do. I went and got a 360. After the grueling process of trying to figure out how to even work the 360 menus, I got signed up for Live and the Backbreaker demo downloaded...

I just want to list out a few things that I haven't really seen mentioned a lot, but first, it's worth mentioning that I had a terrible time adjusting to the XBOX 360 controller, I kept moving my hand to the D-PAD because it's not the same spot as the PS3. And I kept thinking about how awful the controller layout felt because it wasn't symmetrical like the 360. But I digress.

I'm not going to cover Euphoria really, because we know it's great...

* First, temper your expectations. If you are like me, you have watched every Youtube video on Backbreaker since Friday morning... probably in the realm of 100+ of them, you may think you have a good grasp on how to play the game. Especially since some of the more recent ones are making the game look fairly easy, don't think it's really easy to pickup and play immediately. You'll need to practice.

* Layoff the triggers! Focus is good, as is aggressive, but each have their place. Using Focus in a crowd often causes the camera to whack out and you'll lose control over your player since his direction is controlled by screen orientation, not which way he's facing. If the camera is moving a lot, you'll be running around like a chicken without a head. For example, if you are running straight ahead, and move the camera to the left (but are still pushing up on the stick) your player will begin to veer right, if the camera moves faster he'll veer/turn.

* Running outside takes some sort of gift from God and coordination (aka practice). You'll find yourself often running backwards right after the handoff and most likely getting pounded for a 10 yard loss. This is a mixture between not having awareness from the camera/player movement orientation and holding down aggressive mode. I don't use aggressive mode unless it's an inside run or a break free on the outside. I'll sparingly use agile mode as necessary to give myself a better view of the field.

* Get rid of the ball quickly, don't stand still in the pocket. There will almost always be a rush. You have about 3-5 seconds to get rid of the ball and you should count in "mississippi's" to know how much time you have. Also, don't stand still until you are ready to throw. However, throwing on the move lowers accuracy regardless of it focus mode is held. I never entered aggressive mode as the QB and I still could scramble around quite well.

* Expect interceptions. You will throw a lot of them. You will also throw lots of incompletions. I think incompletions may have something to do with the lead passing aspect so make sure you 'get off the right stick' as soon as you pass it.

* The amount of plays is disappointing. Yes, even on Pro/Hard. There may be more in the official, but don't expect it. That said, there is still enough to effectively run an offense and defense.

* Don't expect euphoria highlights every game. Despite the videos you've seen, there are regular moment in the game that look like everyday football hits. Not everything is a highlight reel hit or play.

* Defense is incredibly rewarding. I advise you to stick with one player throughout the game, use right stick to get a camera angle you want... Only use focus if you lose the ball. Otherwise the constantly shifting camera can make it hard to control your player. Only use aggressive when you have the ball carrier in site and can 'bear' down on him.

* Don't worry about using the right stick to do fancy tackles at first, you're player will automatically attempt to tackle when you get close.

* Expect the game to feel mediocre at first (at least I did), but after doing all the practice sessions once, playing tackle alley 4 times, and playing 10 exhibition matches it's now a first day buy. The more you play it, the more you like it.

Thanks for reading...
Excellent post! How are you feeling about the xbox controller now that you've had some more practice with it?

# 899 drae2 @ 05/26/10 12:11 PM
Okay, so who's gonna start the Who Has It thread?

# 900 allBthere @ 05/26/10 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldash
I still hate it and think I'll be much better once I'm back on my PS3 controller...
I'm the exact opposite. It's amazing how subtle (well not so sublte to us) could be the determining factor in buying a console.

So hear I am with RDR and UFC and I'm trying to forget about the demo. Very hard not to boot it up, trying to wait until next week and just play the crap out of the real game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.