Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

The NBA 2K11 demo is available now for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
  • You can only play as the Lakers, can't play as the Celtics
  • 4 minute demo
  • Can't run plays
  • LT+RT to post up
  • No replay
Please discuss the demo here and post your impressions. Rules will be strictly enforced.

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Los Angeles Lakers @ 09/14/10 07:59 AM
I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but I love the defensive fundamentals in this game. Your teammates actually help you on D for a change ... or at least don't do anything idiotic like over-help. That's been my biggest complaint in the past and even though it's only on Pro, I like the defensive logic used here.

No complaints on how the CPU scored.

Staples Center atmosphere is top notch. They really paid attention to the organ and the arena layout. This isn't even with custom music.

I love momentum jumpers ... finally. I can finally utilize Kobe's mid-range game in a realistic way.

Glad they got rid of lock on D. I like it better like this. I don't feel like I'm getting sucked into animations/opponents anymore for the most part (offensively or defensively).

Only very minor complaint is that illegal screens are annoying when you don't want a pick and your teammate sets it late. But that only happened twice in 8 quarters or so.

It's not a layup-fest from what I experienced. The balance between offensive execution and defensive decision making allow the game to look like the closest thing to real basketball I've seen so far. Then again, it's just on Pro, so we'll see. But most of what I saw was positive.

I'm sure I'll eventually find something big to complain about, but I haven't been this impressed with a 2K demo ever. And I'm saying that without having a fluid grasp of the new controls yet.

# 142 CaCHooKa Man @ 09/14/10 08:01 AM
i hope the cpu doesnt go for pump fakes as easily as this when you change the difficulty. seemingly every time i pump fake, the cpu jumps and it leaves me open. i was kinda surprised here and was ready to back pierce down before i went in for the dunk.

# 143 DaoudS @ 09/14/10 08:03 AM
In my opinion the player control still leaves a lot to be desired, but the gameplay otherwise is phenomenal. I had my doubts coming into this year, but those seem to be fading with every gameplay video.

The off-ball movement, plays, smart A.I. might be too much to pass up this year.

# 144 DW3 @ 09/14/10 08:04 AM
im really loving the control! They have that Live 10 feel to them! Momentum is done perfectly imo. I also like how you have to use iso- motion without the turbo.

Lead passing is toned down alot.

The CPU A.I. is a lot smarter also

Great Job 2K

# 145 2k10Fonzarelli @ 09/14/10 08:04 AM
Control List for Shot types

Seen a lot of 'how do you' questions.

here's a shot control reference from 2k insights.

Shooting the Ball

● Left = Hop/Euro Step dunk
● Right = Rim Hang dunk
● Away = Spin dunk (in traffic) or Reverse dunk (on a breakaway)
● Twirl = 360 in air dunk (for the few guys that can do them)

● Shot Modifier + Straight = Euro Step or Fake Pass (think Rondo) Layup
● Shot Modifier + Left = Hop Step left layup
● Shot Modifier + Right = Hop Step right layup
● Shot Modifier + Away = Spin layup

Nate Robinson's dunk's have slightly less spring to them, so it doesn't look like he's getting up as high as he did in the SDC during dunks in traffic.

I'm absolutely enamored by this demo despite it's obvious shortcomings.

I have a new gripe, now that i can accurately translate thoughts to actions. Ray Allen falls overs too much ;P

# 146 stizz @ 09/14/10 08:05 AM
Just saw a pretty cool sequence. There was about 2 secs remaining and I had Gasol inbounding the ball. I ran up the court with Bryant and threw the pass. Gasol's throw was terrible and it ended up by Bryants feet. Bryant then juggled the ball until time expired.

Loving the demo so far. My only gripe is that Ray Allen still looks like an alien.

# 147 Dizmode313 @ 09/14/10 08:05 AM
Couple of glitches like how in the blue hell can you sub in on the free throw shooter...lol...Ray was shooting two and he got subbed by Wafer...wth...but the icon double team is great when it does come up...option to play with only the lakers is okay ...I like Paul Pierce shots it look like he has a jumper and a set shoot..KG post moves are nice...Kobe is sick to play with...the blocks are going to be great with real shot blockers..can you imagine josh smith/howard/sammie/or Mcgee coming over from the weak side...I like some of the Dunk Captures...but not enough real one leg takeoffs...I done played this game since 0550 CST time to take a nap...but no doubt I am getting this at 0007 CST 5 Oct...This game right here...nice........

# 148 bmgoff11 @ 09/14/10 08:05 AM
the demo isnt good to be felt just like 2k10 where i didnt have control of my player a lot // its just a smoother 2k10 thought it was going to be a little different

# 149 Boreez2000 @ 09/14/10 08:06 AM
How do you run plays?
I saw Czar running it in his video but i can't seem to figure it out...

# 150 BiggD @ 09/14/10 08:10 AM
The demo is straight filthy McNasty!!!! So fluid and smooth

# 151 2k10Fonzarelli @ 09/14/10 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreez2000
How do you run plays?
I saw Czar running it in his video but i can't seem to figure it out...

no playcalling in demo.

Love how some 'bad' passes result in a tough catch animation instead of going out of bounds ALL THE TIME.

The catching in general has seen a big animation overhaul. nice stuff. Alot of animations outside of the driving shooting and scoring ones look very organic. Definately the finest looking B-ball game i've seen.

Myself, and surely a lot of other people, are going to be able to play something that resembles defense this year. The control you have is much tighter on D, though not quite perfect

Can't wait to find out more about NBA Today 2.0.

# 152 Boreez2000 @ 09/14/10 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k10Fonzarelli
no playcalling in demo.

Love how some 'bad' passes result in a tough catch animation instead of going out of bounds ALL THE TIME.

The catching in general has seen a big animation overhaul. nice stuff. Alot of animations outside of the driving shooting and scoring ones look very organic. Definately the finest looking B-ball game i've seen.

Myself, and surely a lot of other people, are going to be able to play something that resembles defense this year. The control you have is much tighter on D, though not quite perfect
What is this then, at the 40 second mark?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buSoB7ZrXCg

# 153 2k10Fonzarelli @ 09/14/10 08:19 AM
Quote:
What is this then, at the 40 second mark?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buSoB7ZrXCg

interesting... its interesting.

there is play art as well. Is that from ps3 or something?

# 154 Da_Czar @ 09/14/10 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoff11
the demo isnt good to be felt just like 2k10 where i didnt have control of my player a lot // its just a smoother 2k10 thought it was going to be a little different
To the guys saying they don't have any control. Try not pushing the left stick all the way in any direction. You can finally feather your control. When you go all out in a direction your going to kick in momentum and weight and you won't be able to change direction as fast because you will have to slow down.

Practice this when you bring the ball up the court by walking jogging running and then walking again.

To cross without big movement briefly hold left trigger over tap the stick left to right to switch hands or you can keep it in the same hand and strafe left to right. The control is there same thing on defense try using just enough pressure on the sticks to move at the speed you want.

This was NOT necessary in last years game so some of you may just be waayyy to stick heavy to appreciate to movement upgrade. Same thing happened to me when I first played.

Now if your doing all that and it still seems like you don't have controls then its probably just not responsive enough for you. Please give that a try as it really opens up the game on offense and defense.

and stay away from turbo. It forces you to go straight in the direction your facing so its best used as a burst after a move and don't hold it when changing directions.

# 155 bmgoff11 @ 09/14/10 08:20 AM
players movement to slow they dont turn around or run correctly / demo is ok

# 156 Boreez2000 @ 09/14/10 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k10Fonzarelli
interesting... its interesting.

there is play art as well. Is that from ps3 or something?
I think i got it...
You have to switch to off-ball control somebody while Fisher has the ball, and i believe he'll call a play himself then...not the most practical thing in the world but it's something

# 157 2k10Fonzarelli @ 09/14/10 08:26 AM
Quote:
I think i got it...
You have to switch to off-ball control somebody while Fisher has the ball, and i believe he'll call a play himself then...not the most practical thing in the world but it's something
yup, your onto something.

I'm liking these icons for off-ball movements and double teams.

Hey Czar, this demo build the same one you've been working with? Minus of course the limited team and menu selections.

# 158 weylum @ 09/14/10 08:26 AM
This game is really smooth. Getting my arse handed to me though, as I'm getting used to the controls. A few things I've seen:

-Bad long court pass ended up with Kobe chasing the ball down and fielding it with one hand under the basket. Made for a nice little fast break play

-Pierce stumbling on a cut to the top of the key

-Momentum in general feels nice

-You can definitely feel the differences control-wise between the players

-Very nice assortment of layups and inside shots, I'm sure I haven't seen them all.

I know what I'll be doing on 10/5.

# 159 JrDoubleHockeySticks @ 09/14/10 08:27 AM
Quote:
I think i got it...
I've accidentally ran plays for Kobe a few times. You have to use the LB button to somehow get a red circle under the player you wish to run the play for, then click a face button (A,B,X, or Y) and play art will show up.

# 160 SageInfinite @ 09/14/10 08:28 AM
I'm in love. It's like live 10 and 2k had a baby.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.