Home
News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 abcabc @ 01/11/12 10:11 PM
never liked the kind of robotic/urgent reaction impression i get of the outfielder scooping up the ball and immediately getting it back (gunning it back) into the infield kind of look.

i see it again on (again hope it's a old build) Ryan Howard slaps a single to left field. The left fielder, unless Ryan is trying to stretch the single into a double which in the case he's not, should soft toss it back into the infield instead of gunning it in. it's like the game's been missing a leisure throw animation routine in the holster.

# 122 sydrogerdavid @ 01/11/12 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishred002
Lookin good.

The back side of the Phillie Phanatic is STILL unfinished/ left blank though. I don't know why, but this little detail bothers me to no end.
Same for Fredbird, too.

# 123 Russell_SCEA @ 01/11/12 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
You bastards... everyone was too busy playing while I was fighting for stuff like this.

Where was this a few months ago!!!

#occupypulsepitching

The art has actually changed a lot since you guys last saw it. It might be changed again, if it hasn't that's what the game will ship with also. It's not nearly as visible from the pitchers view which is why the "ants" are still there.

# 124 tyler289 @ 01/11/12 10:55 PM
I'm hoping with the broadcast presentation that the crowd/fans will be better, too. I also am hoping that franchise got some love, because I would really like to see some small additions - notably, more in-depth stats kept about past years. Gameplay and presentation look great, though!

# 125 Knight165 @ 01/11/12 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
The art has actually changed a lot since you guys last saw it. It might be changed again, if it hasn't that's what the game will ship with also. It's not nearly as visible from the pitchers view which is why the "ants" are still there.
Wait a second.....we saw it?!!
Somebody is not taking the NDA very seriously......

M.K.
Knight165

# 126 Greene_Flash03 @ 01/12/12 12:15 AM
This broadcast presentation had me drooling already. The camera cuts after the pitch brings so much realism IMO. #CANTWAIT

# 127 Black59Razr @ 01/12/12 12:24 AM
LOL, sorry for posting this video just now. I thought this big *** thread was a few days old! My bad!

Tons of great things in this game!

However, at 4:55, right at the crack of the bat on a line drive, you can see the left fielder instantly turn his back and start running blindly. He stops running at the perfect spot, and poof, there is the ball. So much for new ball physics. The OF still knew exactly where this hard line drive would end up.

Then, at 3:00, the left fielder makes a highlight catch at the warning track, with an absolutely perfect, nonchalant, route.

I know outfielders take different routes to the balls in 12, so I hope this video is the exception and not the norm. That is, unless the new routes to the ball are just ascetic, and they will all run the perfect straight line to the ball if there is no time to mess around.

Then, at 7:25, looks like the cut-off logic is still jacked up. Why is the cutoff man setup to take a throw to 1st base on a bases empty single to left?

Because of this, I will only play 500 games, burn through 3 discs and 1 PS3!

# 128 Knight165 @ 01/12/12 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razr
LOL, sorry for posting this video just now. I thought this big *** thread was a few days old! My bad!

Tons of great things in this game!

However, at 4:55, right at the crack of the bat on a line drive, you can see the left fielder instantly turn his back and start running blindly. He stops running at the perfect spot, and poof, there is the ball. So much for new ball physics. The OF still knew exactly where this hard line drive would end up.

Then, at 3:00, the left fielder makes a highlight catch at the warning track, with an absolutely perfect, nonchalant, route.

I know outfielders take different routes to the balls in 12, so I hope this video is the exception and not the norm. That is, unless the new routes to the ball are just ascetic, and they will all run the perfect straight line to the ball if there is no time to mess around.

Then, at 7:25, looks like the cut-off logic is still jacked up. Why is the cutoff man setup to take a throw to 1st base on a bases empty single to left?

I'm not sure what this has to do with ball physics though.

M.K.
Knight165

# 129 Pared @ 01/12/12 12:45 AM
Quote:

Still keeping fingers crossed! Honestly if it did change, it looks to have come right back full circle.

No pun intended... of course. Heh.

# 130 nomo17k @ 01/12/12 12:50 AM
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, is there any sports game, baseball or otherwise, which does a more or less (im)perfect job of fielders reaching the ball landing location? I mean, fielders moving in organic ways... I just want to check that out if there are games like that.

# 131 Black59Razr @ 01/12/12 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I'm not sure what this has to do with ball physics though.

M.K.
Knight165
I was hoping the new ball physics would create a new awareness levels in the OFs.

More realistic ball physics means the ball will do more unpredictable things; slice, hook, dive, sail, etc. Therefore, the OFs will have a harder time making plays (so I hoped)

However, based on early video evidence, the OFs have been pre-ordained with the knowledge of this unpredictability. They are just as aware of where the ball will land as they were in 11; regardless of this new unpredictability. Therefore, new ball physics does not effect gameplay. Its just for ascetics.

Its like if you played OF in a softball league, then switched to a baseball league, you would have a hard time judging the spin of the ball. Flyballs do crazy things in baseball, compared to softball. The OF would not be able to play as aggressively as he did when he played softball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Just out of curiosity, is there any sports game, baseball or otherwise, which does a more or less (im)perfect job of fielders reaching the ball landing location? I mean, fielders moving in organic ways... I just want to check that out if there are games like that.
You need look no further than MLB 11 The Show's RTTS mode. In RTTS, user OFs did not have the ball indicator appear instantly, therefore, you did a less perfect job. The user OF could not simply run full speed to the perfect spot at the crack of the bat. I wish they could put this logic into the CPU as well.

A perfect real life example is the last play of the season for the Red Sox. Carl Crawford trapped a line drive, costing them the season. That ball was extremely catchable; but he was unable to commit due to the line drives unpredictability.

If it was The Show, Crawford would have made the perfect read at the crack of the bat, making the catch, and going to the Playoffs; thus changing the course of history forever!

# 132 Blzer @ 01/12/12 01:51 AM
Quote:
I was hoping the new ball physics would create a new awareness levels in the OFs.

More realistic ball physics means the ball will do more unpredictable things; slice, hook, dive, sail, etc. Therefore, the OFs will have a harder time making plays (so I hoped)

However, based on early video evidence, the OFs have been pre-ordained with the knowledge of this unpredictability. They are just as aware of where the ball will land as they were in 11; regardless of this new unpredictability. Therefore, new ball physics does not effect gameplay. Its just for ascetics.

Its like if you played OF in a softball league, then switched to a baseball league, you would have a hard time judging the spin of the ball. Flyballs do crazy things in baseball, compared to softball. The OF would not be able to play as aggressively as he did when he played softball.
Well I mean, unless you're talking about Soriano out there, it's not like the outfielders are just going to become bat **** stupid.

Considering we still have pre-determined knowledge of where the ball is supposed to land off the bat, I guess the computer is given the exact same ordinance. Sometimes they will take a second to react to a ball, and sometimes they might slightly misplay a bounce off a wall or something (or dive at a ball that they can't catch, which I've seen), but they won't ever, say, start running in for a ball that will end up behind them. That's just not in the game's design logic. I understand this happens in baseball, but you also want to make sure that they still do make their catches from time to time as well. These players are professional, after all.

That warning track shot is not only a pretty easy catch to make in baseball (with a "nonchalant" effort), but it's also one of the most fun plays to make. The only two parameters that make it difficult are: 1) lack of knowledge of where the wall is; 2) lack of knowledge of where the other outfielder is. Otherwise, it's a cakewalk.

# 133 ParisB @ 01/12/12 02:14 AM
Quote:

You need look no further than MLB 11 The Show's RTTS mode. In RTTS, user OFs did not have the ball indicator appear instantly, therefore, you did a less perfect job. The user OF could not simply run full speed to the perfect spot at the crack of the bat. I wish they could put this logic into the CPU as well.

A perfect real life example is the last play of the season for the Red Sox. Carl Crawford trapped a line drive, costing them the season. That ball was extremely catchable; but he was unable to commit due to the line drives unpredictability.

If it was The Show, Crawford would have made the perfect read at the crack of the bat, making the catch, and going to the Playoffs; thus changing the course of history forever!
I understand what you're saying, and agree.

As soon as you hit a gapper, you know right away if it's going to get caught or drop based on the "jogging" animation the cpu controlled outfielder is doing, as well as the route he's taking. It's missing that suspense element.

If he's not going to catch it, it's obvious because he goes off target to play the bounce off the wall perfectly (which is annoying). If he is going to catch it, there's this nonchalant animation to him.

# 134 Black59Razr @ 01/12/12 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Well I mean, unless you're talking about Soriano out there, it's not like the outfielders are just going to become bat **** stupid.

Considering we still have pre-determined knowledge of where the ball is supposed to land off the bat, I guess the computer is given the exact same ordinance. Sometimes they will take a second to react to a ball, and sometimes they might slightly misplay a bounce off a wall or something (or dive at a ball that they can't catch, which I've seen), but they won't ever, say, start running in for a ball that will end up behind them. That's just not in the game's design logic. I understand this happens in baseball, but you also want to make sure that they still do make their catches from time to time as well. These players are professional, after all.

That warning track shot is not only a pretty easy catch to make in baseball (with a "nonchalant" effort), but it's also one of the most fun plays to make. The only two parameters that make it difficult are: 1) lack of knowledge of where the wall is; 2) lack of knowledge of where the other outfielder is. Otherwise, it's a cakewalk.
Perhaps I am expecting too much in this aspect of the game.

What do you think about the Carl Crawford example from a few posts back? Don't you agree the game is lacking that level of realism?

In 11, you would see a canned animation of an outfielder taking a step back on a line drive, then run forward for a single in front of him. And sometimes you would see a defender take a step in, then run back for a ball over his head. This would happen about once every 75 games. What I am asking, is for this to occur at a more realistic pace; perhaps once per game.

I think the would create a butterfly effect in a positive way. If you dramatically increase the frequency of these 'canned' animations of player's misjudging line drives, there would be many, many more hits. This would require tweaking almost every other aspect of the game.

But if I am in the minority in thinking OFs are vacuum cleaners in The Show, it would not be something worth taking a look at.

# 135 Black59Razr @ 01/12/12 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
I understand what you're saying, and agree.

As soon as you hit a gapper, you know right away if it's going to get caught or drop based on the "jogging" animation the cpu controlled outfielder is doing, as well as the route he's taking. It's missing that suspense element.

If he's not going to catch it, it's obvious because he goes off target to play the bounce off the wall perfectly (which is annoying). If he is going to catch it, there's this nonchalant animation to him.
Oh, ya. In 11, if you had runners on base with less than 2 out, and you scorched a deep flyball, all you had to do was look at the angle of the outfielder to determine if you should advance the runners or not. It was obvious almost instantly if they were going to attempt a catch or a car-rum. Its like, nobody in the stadium knows if that ball will bounce of the wall for a double, or if it will be caught for an out. Nobody, except for the OFs. So you can just cheat and watch their routes to get a read on their clairvoyance.

# 136 ParisB @ 01/12/12 02:27 AM
Man, my only complaint is the pulse pitching meter. I love the idea, but I don't understand how people like the idea of having a large pulsating circle distracting you and giving you a headache.

It gives it such an arcade feel and look to it, sort of takes away some of the immersion. The regular meter was much more low key, and the classic pitching is so clean it feels like you're watching a real game.

Everything else is looking good. I also hope some of the animations are cleaner, and less predictable especially in the OF.

# 137 nomo17k @ 01/12/12 03:17 AM
Quote:
In 11, you would see a canned animation of an outfielder taking a step back on a line drive, then run forward for a single in front of him. And sometimes you would see a defender take a step in, then run back for a ball over his head. This would happen about once every 75 games. What I am asking, is for this to occur at a more realistic pace; perhaps once per game.

I think the would create a butterfly effect in a positive way. If you dramatically increase the frequency of these 'canned' animations of player's misjudging line drives, there would be many, many more hits. This would require tweaking almost every other aspect of the game.
Yes I think this is the sort of plays that should be added more, if not already in MLB12. Not totally misjudging, but uncertainty in decision making process. Expanding on this, include some misjudgement in the paths that fielders make... That would make outfield plays very fun to watch. Apparently this is a difficult task than we might think (at least that's what devs have said).... I have some ideas, so do others, but I'm sure this is one aspect of the game we can look forward to seeing improvement in future.

# 138 Blzer @ 01/12/12 03:28 AM
Quote:
Perhaps I am expecting too much in this aspect of the game.

What do you think about the Carl Crawford example from a few posts back? Don't you agree the game is lacking that level of realism?

But if I am in the minority in thinking OFs are vacuum cleaners in The Show, it would not be something worth taking a look at.
I'm not saying I don't agree, I'm saying that the ball physics won't make a change in the AI thought process. They see where the ball will go much like we do, through the game's visual aids. All of the behind the scene calculations make it so that the ball's spin and bounces are not unpredictable for the AI, no matter how they're written.

My other point was that they might re-write the AI to a fault where it happens too commonplace or it does something incredibly crazy sometimes (runs in forever and forgets to grab a ball at the wall or something), which even seeing that once in 10,000 games is inexcusable.

# 139 Russell_SCEA @ 01/12/12 04:35 AM
Quote:

Ball physics and the paths OF's take to the ball has nothing to do with one another they are completely separate code lines done by completely separate programmers.

You are completely wrong the new ball physics changes the game play a lot. The new code has vastly improved the hit variety that changes gameplay, the new code now has the ball loosing energy like a real baseball that changes game play. The new code has added a larger variety of hit speeds that changes gameplay.

Last there more pursuit angles this year.

# 140 LastActionHero @ 01/12/12 05:41 AM
Quote:
the new ball physics changes the game play a lot. The new code has vastly improved the hit variety that changes gameplay, the new code now has the ball loosing energy like a real baseball that changes game play. The new code has added a larger variety of hit speeds that changes gameplay.

Last there more pursuit angles this year.
This alone makes the wait so much harder!

On the little snippets of gameplay footage I instantly noticed the ball being more alive and energetic off the bat.

Where everyone always has a mile long wishlist SCEA goes improving a part of the game that not many had on their list but will be such a gamechanger in the end.

Awesome stuff!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.