Home
News Post

The day has arrived, we now know that College Football's National Champion will definitely be decided by a playoff for the first time ever for the 2014 season. The format seems simple enough: the top four teams as chosen by a selection committee.

The question of by what criteria will the teams be selected has not been finalized. It sounds like, on the surface, that the days of computers and polls deciding the National Champion might be a thing of the past.

So what do you think about the new college football playoff plan? Do you like it? Are you worried about the selection committee aspect?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 1 Retropyro @ 06/21/12 11:15 AM
My only concern with a playoff has always been, what happens to the Bowls? The idea of a definitive National Champion has never been that big of a deal for me, I always just "enjoyed the ride".
When the talk of a playoff really started my hope was that Bowls would be used in some way, so I like what I see so far. Although I would like to see a number of the smaller Bowl Games shut down, just too many with teams that do not deserve the privilege.

# 2 DubTrey1 @ 06/21/12 11:18 AM
I think it is a great idea.... I mean it will generate even more excitement than college football already brings. Look how any other sports playoffs bring the level of entertainment up.... Besides, if this fails - it could only pale in comparison to the already failure that is the BCS.

# 3 trey2k198003 @ 06/21/12 11:21 AM
more than likely they wont shutdown bowls at all, there jsut gonna use @ old bcs bowls as playoff games adn then then another bcs bowl as a championship of some sort. Its not a new concept by anymeans its just there seeing it wont lose anyone any revenues.....it will actually ake more moeny!

# 4 eagskerfan @ 06/21/12 11:27 AM
I think it sucks. If they go with the top 4 teams, and I was a conference comissioner, the first thing I would do is scrap the conference Why have it? It would only give your best team(s) another chance to lose and not make the playoff. Once this thing starts actually playing out everyone who supported it will realize how stupid it was. When is the last time we've had a college basketball selection show where a team wasn't mad that they didn't get in? Drop the whole BCS, and go back to the old bowl games with the conference tie-ins.

# 5 seasprite @ 06/21/12 11:47 AM
Its progress, I like it.

# 6 Retropyro @ 06/21/12 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagskerfan
I think it sucks. If they go with the top 4 teams, and I was a conference comissioner, the first thing I would do is scrap the conference Why have it? It would only give your best team(s) another chance to lose and not make the playoff. Once this thing starts actually playing out everyone who supported it will realize how stupid it was. When is the last time we've had a college basketball selection show where a team wasn't mad that they didn't get in? Drop the whole BCS, and go back to the old bowl games with the conference tie-ins.
I know today I'm in the minority but I'd love to see a return to the old bowl game system and conference tie-ins.

# 7 TheArsenologist @ 06/21/12 12:27 PM
Lack of on-campus games makes this truly awful. I love my alma mater more than anything, but there's no way I'll ever fork over the money to go to two straight neutral site games should they be competing for a championship. What's wrong with a Florida v. Michigan game in Ann Arbor with a spot for the title on the line? The money-grabbing, corrupt bowls are the real winners here. But just wait a few years when the semi-final games are poorly attended by fans who are holding out for a trip to the big game.

# 8 seasprite @ 06/21/12 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArsenologist
Lack of on-campus games makes this truly awful. I love my alma mater more than anything, but there's no way I'll ever fork over the money to go to two straight neutral site games should they be competing for a championship. What's wrong with a Florida v. Michigan game in Ann Arbor with a spot for the title on the line? The money-grabbing, corrupt bowls are the real winners here. But just wait a few years when the semi-final games are poorly attended by fans who are holding out for a trip to the big game.
I think attendance will be fine for the semi-final games at neutral fields. Most people I know would pay the money to see both games. JMO

# 9 LucianoJJ @ 06/21/12 12:42 PM

The BCS system needed an overhaul. A playoff is a better option, but keeping a bunch of peripheral bowls on life support only benefits ESPN. FBS football is going to evolve into a two level division. Non-BCS conferences like the Sun Belt, the MAC, the Mountain West, and C-USA need their own title game system, since they will be shut out of the playoff, and serve as fodder for the BCS contenders.

I didn't post a blog soon enough. Here's my idea, albeit too late:

The country is divided into three geographic regions, regardless of conference affiliation. The North is essentially all schools north of the Ohio River, east of the Mississippi River, New England, New York, with the Mason Dixon line being the border. The South is east of the Mississippi, south of the Ohio River. The West is all schools in the states west of the Mississippi, regardless of conference. One school is selected from each region of the country. The second place finishers in each region are thrown into a pool. From that pool, the fourth team for the NCAA Football playoff is selected.

My crazy idea is the selection of this addition team, this wild card. Let the people decide. They vote over a 24-hour period electronically. One of the major phone companies puts up major money to execute the vote. People vote for the wild card team as they vote for American Idol or Dancing With the Stars. The proceeds of this Wild Card pool could go into a general scholarship fund for all colleges. It could fund a stipend for athletes, whatever.

You preserve the integrity of the conferences, allow for geographic representation, and give fans nationwide a voice.

# 10 fsufan4423 @ 06/21/12 01:47 PM
Any playoff plan has to be better than what we have now. This formula the BCS uses is no different than letting the media decides who plays for a National Championship.

I'm still trying to figure out how Auburn didn't play for a championship in 2004 with a undefeated season, and that would be unheard of today. Then Michigan and Ohio ST in 2006 is no difference than LSU and Alabama last year.

We need any kind of playoff.

# 11 moose616 @ 06/21/12 02:02 PM
We still have the Bowls, and the BCS as an entity can stay in existence, too. I actually suggested this format in a college class a couple years ago. Nice to see it finally coming to fruition.

# 12 PioneerRaptor @ 06/21/12 02:03 PM
I agree that a playoff is better than what we currently have.

However, I am stunned how the non-BCS conferences agreed to it. They will still never have a chance to compete. The Top 4 will most likely always have an SEC opponent and a Big 12 opponent. PAC-12 as a good chance of always supplying a team as well.Then there'd probably be another SEC team, or a B1G team. Either way, the smaller conferences don't have a chance.

# 13 coogrfan @ 06/21/12 02:13 PM
The fact that the "not quite as big 7" appear to have signed off on this can only mean that they have been promised something.

# 14 Husker_OS @ 06/21/12 02:42 PM
All for it. It means we're this much closer to being where I want, which is an 8-team playoff.

# 15 PioneerRaptor @ 06/21/12 03:13 PM
I just heard on ESPN Radio that a selection committee will choose the four teams with an emphasis on Conference Champions and Strength of Schedule.

# 16 CM Hooe @ 06/21/12 03:26 PM
Any postseason playoff is better than the flawed idea of the "season-long playoff", though I'm not convinced that this current system is the ideal.

# 17 Perfect Zero @ 06/21/12 04:09 PM
It doesn't go far enough. With the whole "selection committee," you're going to have even more bitching and moaning as to why the number five team got snubbed in the selection process. We're at the point though where the whole "superconference" idea isn't too far off. If we can get to the point where the big four conferences (B1G, SEC, PAC, BigXII) are able to lock out the other conferences to create a Premier League type set up, we'll see a true eight team playoff where the winners of the divisions are the automatic playoff teams.

At this point, get rid of the bowls and focus on a playoff system. More money for all.

# 18 eagskerfan @ 06/21/12 05:28 PM
I for one (not that it matters) won't be able to fork over the money to go to a semi final or final game. Let's say you go to a majority of home games. Then you pay extra to go to a conference championship, then you pay extra to go to a semi final game, then a national championship? I'm not paying that kind of money to watch a college football game.

# 19 eagskerfan @ 06/21/12 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by js3512
Surprised at how many negative comments there are. Granted, it's not enough but consider how long it's taken college football to come this far. Fans wanted a playoff before the BCS was even created. Baby steps people, you can't expect an ultra conservative entity like the NCAA to make huge changes overnight. Ideally I'd like to see an 8 or even 16 team playoff but it could be decades before the NCAA is ready to take that step. For now a final four should do. One thing that I think should be thrown in is that if you're undefeated and have defeated at least one top 20 team you receive an automatic birth so that way an undefeated Boise St. could never be snubbed unless they simply didn't schedule anyone.
8-16 team playoff? You really want to see 6 teams of the SEC battling it off to play a tournament? If you make it that big, you have a better chance of having a team that shouldn't be there to win the game. If your #16 team wins the national championship, then you need to change who decides to rank teams. With 4 (even though I hate the playoff idea period), you at least have some chance that the national championship will be between 2 good teams.

# 20 jamie1981 @ 06/21/12 05:49 PM
I like it. I want 8 games but 4 is a good start. One question for everyone... what happens to the new champions bowl? Does it become one of the semi final games?

Sent from my 1983 Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone

« Previous1234567Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.