Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

Polygon has posted their NBA 2K17 hands-on impressions. Samit Sarkar goes over quite a few things, including freelance offenses for every team, better help defense, timed layups, 2K U with Coach K and much more.

Quote:
"If I can expect you to make a move and show the ball unprotected, I can time my button press" and knock the ball away, said Jones, who did this exact thing to me when we played each other. This applies to passes, too. Jones acknowledged that throwing the ball willy-nilly into the key was almost a "money" play last year. In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off. The ball just felt more live, whether on passes, steals or rebounds.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 jmaj315 @ 08/22/16 08:16 PM
apologize for the double post, but wanted to separate my article comments from replies.

The first thing that I had to double take at was this:

Quote:
The key was to ensure that other skilled long-range shooters couldn’t match Curry’s ability to hit 3s from way, way out — not even his fellow "Splash Brother," Klay Thompson.

"He’s the only guy that’s actually doing it," Jones explained. "Nobody else is coming down, getting to the hash mark, or getting to the circle, and going, ‘Well, I’m shooting from here, forget you.’
I understand that Steph is the best at shooting from distance, but I guess I just hope they don't make it so that nobody else can hit from deep. Lillard and PG have done that on occasion, just not nearly as often nor as high of a percentage.

The second thing that had me thinking was this:

Quote:
I saw teammates leave their assignment to stop someone from getting an easy basket in the paint.
This already happens, and it leads to open 3s in the corner. I hope they've tuned this properly because it's almost game breaking. Also, while speaking on the defensive, I hope that pick and roll/hedging screens are more fluid and can allow for splitting the hedge, snake dribbling, and/or better pocket pass animations.

Oh and timing based steals will be awesome!

I hope that the size ups work well. It'd be nice to have a move to get the defender off balance and not get "stuck" trying to go to the rim or something and allow the defense to catch up. That was soooooo frustrating.

Finally:

Quote:
The new system in NBA 2K17 is designed to penalize people who lay on the sprint button all the time, because that’s simply not a realistic way to play basketball; you’ll have to bring in backups from time to time so your starters can catch a breather.
I am so in love with this! Sheesh, people want to go 100mph all of the time and basketball simply is not that. I especially hated playing against Russ in play now and after i make a basket he sprints the length of the floor past my whole team. Thanks for fatigue 2k!

Now all that's left is for a full offseason in online leagues

# 102 Eman5805 @ 08/22/16 08:29 PM
Timing layups? I wonder if that is anything like a Tony Parker specialty where he goes up on the wrong foot to gain a little separation and a favorable angle to score in traffic.

# 103 The 24th Letter @ 08/22/16 08:31 PM
Cant wait for Mike to break this down for us...because I think I have confused myself at this point as to what I think this is going to be, lol

# 104 DonWuan @ 08/22/16 08:34 PM
Believe it when I see it.

# 105 Nevertheles109 @ 08/22/16 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phriscaul
he isnt right. he was snappy and went out of his way to be.

i know about the left and right direction on the right stick. the whole point was, when you push the button, especially in times where you're caught in trying to win and just want to get the bucket, 2K shouldn't make it so that when you do push the button, you end up dunking in a way that favors the defense instead of favoring the offense. its happened since 2k14. and its super annoying.
Both have valid points. Two sides to every story. Button needs to be more effective, yet finishing with the sick was done well this year. Just my opinion.

# 106 rbfn04 @ 08/22/16 08:53 PM
Quote:
when the score is 52-50 and you're on a break to push the lead, i dont have time to think stick vs button. im moving quick so i can get back on defense.
So it's your mistake, not the game's

# 107 rbfn04 @ 08/22/16 09:28 PM
Quote:
if by, me pushing the shot button and they opting to chose the animation that favors the defense, then yes. totally my mistake. nothing to do with the programming at all....bc basketball players do this in real life. spot on mate.
there are better options, you choose the worst one. Yes, your mistake. And you act like basketball players never make mistakes, lower the ball and get it knocked out... ok

# 108 tt500 @ 08/22/16 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfn04
there are better options, you choose the worst one. Yes, your mistake. And you act like basketball players never make mistakes, lower the ball and get it knocked out... ok
We are talking about the dunks they bring the ball behind their head. He's pointing to situations he feels they should do a different dunk. Not everyone plays with stick, and those who use the button shouldn't be be considered using a bad option in these situations.

This is a problem for button users, so we state it. If I had a choice to use stick or button, I'd still use the button if the game understands the situation and animation to use.

# 109 tt500 @ 08/22/16 09:46 PM
Quote:
the shot button should act as intended(along with have an option that provides more variety of finishes altogether). suggesting one or the other is, frankly, stupid. also, basketball players driving to the rim for layups and dunks instinctively keep the ball away from shot blockers and defenders and are endlessly drilled at the professional level on angles to take to ensure avoiding such circumstances. let alone proficient scorers. perhaps instead of caping for this trash programming, you should get out and play ball.
Well there's no point arguing to them, hopefully a dev may read it and think about improving the logic for the animations chosen for those who are used to using buttons than the stick.

# 110 Black Bruce Wayne @ 08/22/16 09:52 PM
Quote:
true and well stated. contrarian for the sake of being so is the mantra around here.
Do you like anything about 2k? On every thread you basically tell us all how the bad the game is, and how bad this one is going to be? There has to be something about the game that makes you happy, without completely killing it for the rest of us? No offense, but there has to be something good

# 111 ProfessaPackMan @ 08/22/16 09:52 PM
Hmm, that's news to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
Do you like anything about 2k? On every thread you basically tell us all how the bad the game is, and how bad this one is going to be? There has to be something about the game that makes you happy, without completely killing it for the rest of us? No offense, but there has to be something good
To his defense, he did that he's not getting the game this year so you can't blame for not finding anything to be positive about with this game.

# 112 The 24th Letter @ 08/22/16 10:04 PM
Who cares man..

Lets get back to the hands on.

I wonder if these timed steals will have a penalty attatched if you whiff them...

# 113 Leasim96 @ 08/22/16 10:19 PM
Wow - these 2 articles were awesome to read. Apparently these 2 people are just reporters or article writers right ? - they're their own people. They say what they wanna say. So that being said - what they've been saying sounds promising considering it comes from non filtered sources. Pumped.

And i mean.

I feel like a lot of the messages i read on this forum mostly focus on the negatives - and it makes sense considering we focus on the things that need to be improved. But i feel like some take it to a level where other people can easily assume they don't seem to even like the game or acklowedge the improvements the game makes every year.

At the end of the day - people are making this game - making a game is a complex thing that while i'm sure many here understand some concepts that go into it - probably few or if any at all have actually worked on a game. That being said - to me 2k16 made a lot of improvements - yes it had faults. But if those improvements stay which they likely should - and we get even more improvements to flaws. The game will likely be very fun. While i eventually got bored of 2k16 sooner than many 2ks prior to it - it was for specific reasons - reasons which if are improved i will likely go back to being a 2k junkie. Is not like 2k doesn't want to improve - it may seem that way sometimes but opinions are opinions - at the end of the day the better the game the more money they get.

# 114 LO6IX @ 08/22/16 10:53 PM
Are they going to give us the option to choose if we want the shot stick to be camera relative or absolute like the pro-stick??

# 115 Goffs @ 08/22/16 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO6IX
Are they going to give us the option to choose if we want the shot stick to be camera relative or absolute like the pro-stick??
Aren't they one and the same? The pro stick is tied to the shot stick no? Anyway I'm glad they're touching the shot stick again....I'm hoping for a more responsive right stick defense. I'm running towards the shooter with the stick pressed and his hands aren't going up to contest.

# 116 MarkWilliam @ 08/22/16 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
Better help defense.. for real this time? Lol

Hopefully when he says that teammates left their assignments, it wasn't one pass away and/or somebody rotated over to the guy that was left.
Sometimes I wonder, if they are programming certain rotations etc. then why have these very rigorous (and great IMO) defensive settings?

Just makes me wonder if certain defensive rotational programming would over ride certain settings (despite the user manually putting them in).

But one would simply have to just play and play and test and test etc. I guess...

# 117 MarkWilliam @ 08/23/16 12:03 AM
Anyone else think the freelance comment was odd? Unless I am crazy, every team in 2K16 had their own free lance (and then even more extras again...) right?

Or am I mistaken?

# 118 MarkWilliam @ 08/23/16 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyfan_19
So are the freelances EXCLUSIVE to the team you are using, or are they all in a sub menu like they were last year when you could pick 3-2 offense, Pace, Triangle, etc.?

If so, they're gonna need to rework the whole selection process because scrolling through 7 pages of offenses last year was a pain during the middle of a possession that often went wasted.
Yes. Yes this. Yes.

This should be a pre-game selection (like match ups, line ups etc.)

# 119 MarkWilliam @ 08/23/16 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
The description about the layups and how you can choose to either create contact or go around a defender gives me hope for finishing inside with small PGs (Lowry, Thomas, Paul etc.).
And creating contact layups with LeBron for and 1 finishes will really add a sense of satisfaction to the user who will now feel like they controlled it.

Exciting.

# 120 23 @ 08/23/16 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
Anyone else think the freelance comment was odd? Unless I am crazy, every team in 2K16 had their own free lance (and then even more extras again...) right?

Or am I mistaken?
Had a freelance but there were only about 21 which pretty much was tied to the team if im not mistaken

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.