Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K10 Trade Deadline Grades

Now that another trade deadline has come and gone, a few teams have shaken things up to make a run for a title, while others have given up and are instead praying for John Wall. Here is a quick look at the teams most affected by the recent trades, and how they play now in NBA 2K10.

Boston Celtics

The addition of Nate Robinson to the Big "Four" and Sheed made this already stacked team even better (at least in the video game, sup Nets). They can play at any tempo they want as long as the right point guard is in. With Rondo in, you can set up your offense and utilize your players. But with Robinson in, you can run and gun all day long. One lineup that is most definitely worth your time is starting Robinson at shooting guard and having Allen come off the bench to score in bunches. This Celtics team has given me another reason to "Go Green."

Grade: A

Chicago Bulls

One team that is not feeling too hot in NBA 2K after the trade deadline is the Chicago Bulls. Losing John Salmons and Tyrus Thomas has left this team feeling like it is missing something -- something like a shooting guard and a power forward. Joe Alexander, Acie Law and Flip Murray do absolutely nothing for this team in the game. Maybe in the real world this was a great move to land a free agent in 2010, but in the world of 360 and PS3, the Bulls broke plenty of hearts in Chicago.

Grade: F

Cleveland Cavaliers

The Cleveland LeBrons finally received a coveted stretch four that they have wanted for so long. Too bad it hardly changes the Cavs in 2K10. Jamison does give you one extra option on offense, but when this team has great shooters like Mo Williams and Delonte West, you will find yourself forgetting about Jamison and wondering where that big Zydrunas Ilgauskas went (he will be back in a month I suppose). And, of course when you need to score, that kid from Akron will do just fine.

Grade: D

Dallas Mavericks

The first trade of this year’s uncommonly busy deadline was the biggest hit of them all. I will bet my job here at Operation Sports that the Mavericks are now one of the top four teams to play with in NBA 2K10. The addition of Caron Butler has a huge impact on this already stacked virtual team. When Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry or even Jason Kidd are on fire, double teams will run towards them leaving Butler wide open. Caron's ability to drive and his rather easy shot motion make him an all-star in this offense. Brendan Haywood may not get you the points some enjoy, but he is a force on the boards, and he has also upgraded the Mavericks' low-post defense. All in all, this team came out on top during the trade deadline.

Grade: A++

Houston Rockets

The addition of Kevin Martin and Jordan Hill has upgraded the play of the Rockets, slightly. When you use Aaron Brooks to penetrate, Martin will be open in the corner quite often. He does have one of the oddest shots in the game, so it may take some time to get used to it. Hill, on the other hand, is somewhat of a mess. He does not replace Carl Landry at all -- in fact the Rockets' post game is almost nowhere to be found since Luis Scola is holding down the fort on his own. With this trade, the Rockets have increased their ability to score, but the defense in the post has taken a huge hit. If you like high-scoring games without much defense, give the Rockets a chance.

Grade: B-

New York Knicks

As if the Knicks were not bad enough already, this new roster is a mess. Tracy McGrady is not what he used to be in video games. His shot is slow, bad and inconsistent. Everyone else on the team is terrible, unless you enjoy shooting 30 percent a night with Al Harrington. The loss of Robinson has also really slowed down the tempo of this team. The defense is OK, but it is not solid enough to save this now-morbid offense.

Grade: F

Sacramento Kings

Getting rid of Martin might have been the best thing to happen to this team. Without Martin in the lineup, you can finally focus on using Tyreke Evans as your main man. The addition of Landry has also really helped this team in all areas of the game. His defense in the post is strong, and his one or two blocks per game will come at just the right times. The Kings are now the perfect contender for those folks out there who like to rebuild a franchise.

Grade: B+

Washington Wizards

Surprisingly, the Wizards are not half bad after the trades they made to gut their team. Don’t get me wrong, they are terrible, but they are playable as well. The loss of Antawn Jamison has really hurt this squad. Losing him has left them with no game in the post at all on either end of the court. The loss of Butler, however, has little to no impact. Randy Foye, Josh Howard and Al Thornton are all similar 2K players -- their shots are just weaker than Butler's. If you enjoy hacking and slashing, this team is for you. But if you do not want a one-dimensional team that cannot play defense, stay far away. Overall, Thornton is now the best player on the team (sans Agent Zero), but the lack of defense will kill you.

Grade: C-

NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 marcoyk @ 03/04/10 12:29 PM
Nice article. I agree with you that the Mavs are disgusting now in 2K10. Nice French usage as well.

# 2 jsg @ 03/04/10 01:23 PM
no love for the Bucks?

# 3 jeebs9 @ 03/04/10 02:35 PM
^^ Yea was kind of shocked ^^

Bucks have to be on of the Hottest teams since the trade deadline. But question is...are they that Hot in the game....probably not...

# 4 scottyp180 @ 03/04/10 03:33 PM
I might have to disagree about the mcgrady comment. i played with the knicks the other day and was one fire with him, he missed two shots the whole game and scored over 30 points the only thing that held me back was that he sat most if not all of the 4th quarter. but if mcgrady isnt hittin there is no other option for that team, except for maybe lee.

# 5 Hassan Darkside @ 03/04/10 11:56 PM
I disagree about McGrady too, he's still a beast. His shot isn't that slow and it's pretty easy to hit consistently. The only issue is his stamina sucks in the game so he gets tired fast. But I lit my roommate up for the tune of 49 points with him the last time we played and he hit 9 threes. Not to mention he can post up smaller guards rather effectively.

I also dropped 44-9-10 with him in association mode the other day.

# 6 henson @ 03/05/10 12:07 AM
as long as the lakers lose ill be happy!

# 7 Xixak @ 03/05/10 12:42 AM
Great article.

# 8 ProtoPunch @ 03/05/10 01:05 AM
Without TT the Bulls in-game miss out on A LOT of offensive putbacks, rebounds, and amazing weakside blocks. Combined with Noah the glass was cleaned up pretty well. TT is slightly overrated in his midrange game after the Boston series last year so Charlotte users should really take advantage of that and his sweet alley-oop ability as well.

First Ben Gordon and then Tyrus Thomas, FFFUUUUUUUUU

# 9 GunnerAsh @ 03/07/10 05:17 AM
Yeah, McGrady on the Knicks is actually pretty nice. His shot isn't as bad as this article makes out, and you can hit it consistantly if you get the timing right.

# 10 fenwaymike @ 03/09/10 12:29 PM
I love playing with the Thunder...Westbrook and Durant...just started my franchise with them and I picked up Big Z as a free agent..so now they have some presence inside. I am 15-5 and #1 in the West right now

# 11 jeebs9 @ 03/09/10 01:13 PM
^^Funny you say that....I picked him up in my league..lol^^
http://community.2ksports.com/commun...ediaid=1482767

# 12 mvspree8 @ 03/09/10 01:18 PM
Dallas is definitely the clear winner of this trade. Unfortunately, Jason Kidd retired for me at the end of my first season. Drag. Now I feel like I should rebuild the team unless I can swing Marion for a decent starting PG.

# 13 sammy g @ 03/09/10 09:43 PM
Yeah the Dallas Mavs starting 5 is re-dirk-ulous now!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.