Home
Feature Article
NHL Series from EA is a Model for Post-Release Support

Four years and one console cycle ago, EA’s NHL series was a total mess. As a product, it was getting outsold by its chief competitor, NHL 2K. As a brand, it had grown so stale and predictable that even the series’ die-hards were beginning to question their loyalty to what had become an inferior, outdated hockey franchise.

After taking off the '06 hockey season (at least on this generation of consoles) to re-evaluate its approach to the genre, innovations like the "skill stick" (NHL 07) and the EA Sports Hockey League (NHL 09) quickly transformed the NHL series from a tired has-been into one of sports gaming’s most-respected franchises.

But aside from the above-mentioned innovations, a key reason for NHL's rapid turnaround has been the outstanding post-release support from its developers.

There is a saying in business that customer support only truly begins after you have taken a person's money. And while continuing to update a product free of charge may not make a lot of sense to CEOs or investors, it has played a key role in ensuring that year after year the NHL brand represents a quality product that -- like any great sports team -- continues to improve as the year goes along.

Good.
Source: imageshack.us

Perhaps it is even these post-release improvements that have kept the NHL series from becoming just another disappointing mid-tier performer in the world of sports games. So for any game series out there that is looking to work its way to the top of the sports-gaming world, here is a model for how to become the next NHL.

Developer Interaction

Those keeping up with NHL 10 prior to release were treated to a number of great developer blogs from gameplay producer Sean Ramjagsingh and lead producer David Littman.

Developer interaction often begins to wane (or completely disappear) once a game is finally released, yet the NHL team’s online presence has remained steady from the preseason up to opening day and on through the upcoming Stanley Cup playoffs.

Community manager Alain "sk88z" Quinto helps run the NHL team’s In the Crease blog in addition to his duties moderating the official EA Hockey forums. Here at Operation Sports, gameplay director Jason "Redshirt" Rupert helps answer gameplay questions and tries to solve any glitches or bugs that players have encountered during the season.

Timely Roster Updates

While it has not quite reached FIFA-levels of absurdity, keeping the rosters up to date in NHL 10 is quickly becoming one of sports gaming's toughest tasks. In addition to the 30 NHL teams and their minor-league AHL affiliates, NHL 10 also features five fully licensed European leagues (such as Sweden’s Elitserien or Finland’s SM-liiga) and 21 international teams, ranging from Austria to the United States.

Better.
Source: sharkspage.com

Tasked with updating a huge pool of teams from around the world, the NHL developers have solicited help from fans on the official rosters forum. And with 10 roster updates already released this year, it is the input by those fans that has helped keep NHL 10's rosters relatively up to date as the hockey season has skated on across the globe.

Second and Third Title Updates

With today’s game publishers looking to cut costs wherever possible, sports gamers have been lucky if their favorite franchise receives even a single title update. NHL 2K10 fans on the PS3, for instance, have not received a single patch all season, and at least partially due to low sales on the system, likely will not receive any post-release support from 2K Sports.

Thankfully, EA continues to bring title updates to the NHL series that are just as plentiful as they are purposeful.

Last season, NHL 09 was supported with three great patches, all of which provided noticeable gameplay improvements and helped reduce a number of key bugs/exploits.

This year, EA’s NHL team is off to another great start, producing two title updates that have helped humanize the robotic goaltenders and reduced players’ ability to stick handle through an entire defense.

Innovative Tuner Sets

While patches are a great way to overhaul games that have already hit store shelves, the one major flaw to the patching process is the lengthy, sometimes difficult approval process that developers must endure before their title update officially goes live.

Thankfully, EA’s NHL team found a way to circumvent Microsoft’s and Sony’s patch-approval process with the introduction of downloadable "tuner sets" in NHL 10.

Best.
Source: epicbattleaxe.com

Functioning much like a set of gameplay sliders, these new tuner sets give developers a way of making major gameplay adjustments without having to wait weeks (or even months) before those changes are approved by Microsoft/Sony and are available for the community to download.

Final Thoughts

With as many lines of code that go into a modern video game, sports gamers have come to accept the fact that no video game will ever be perfect right out of the box.

However, today's fans do not appreciate companies who hype up a game prior to release only to completely abandon their product once the consumer discovers that the game is full of bugs or major gameplay issues.

If game companies are starting to wonder why sales of their yearly sports franchises are dwindling, perhaps they should stop blaming piracy or the economic recession and start considering the impact that post-release support can have on customer morale.

After all, not only is post-release support a sign of good faith to fans of the product, but it also makes those fans more likely to become repeat customers when next year's $60 "update" inevitably rolls out.

Perhaps this generation's sports publishers would have more success with their yearly franchises if -- like Valve's Gabe Newell -- they began approaching their games, not as investors, but as fans.

NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Myloman @ 03/16/10 01:55 PM
I know I had issues with puck cover when playing goalie and Redshirt responded to my concern quickly and they had a fix for the problem in the next tuner set. Though with that said I feel like sometimes fans need to really dig for information that should be readily available like what all the attributes do for your online BaP, but overall the NHL support is very well done.

# 2 DJ @ 03/16/10 03:26 PM
Good article. EA takes a lot of flak for its sports titles, but the folks that work on the NHL series have really done a remarkable job turning a mediocre product into one of the strongest sports titles on the market today.

I am hooked on this game and appreciate all of the efforts of the game developers to keep us updated on changes and producing the tuner sets, patches and roster updates in a timely fashion.

# 3 savoie2006 @ 03/16/10 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
The EA hockey series and it's team are highly underrated. In my opinion they are the best development team around. They have perfected the gameplay and it is easily the closest interpretation of a sport in a videogame. NHL 10 should be the sports-game of the year.
Have you not played MLB The Show? That's the one game that stands in the way of NHL being the outright Sports Game Of The Year. That said, I agree with everything said in the article. It is amazing to me how much this series has taken a turn for the better, compared to what it was last gen. It didn't happen overnight, even once they released NHL07. There was still ALOT of work to be done, but each year since then the game has progressively gotten better and you can't ask for much more than that.

# 4 Vikes1 @ 03/16/10 07:06 PM
I agree the EA Canada developers have done...and continue to do a solid job with their NHL series.

Another thing I appreciated was the way they went about the interaction with us...the customer. No grandiose statements were made [to my knowledge] of what to expect from the latest release. Pretty much just straight forward info on what was done to improve the games playing experience. To where I felt as though I was being informed...rather than simply being sold.

Still playing and enjoying NHL'10' nearly daily. And really looking forward to reading whats planned for '11'. Very refreshing to say...great job EA. [Canada]

# 5 MrNFL_FanIQ @ 03/16/10 08:12 PM
This is why I'm torn on EA, they do an EXCELLENT job with this series. Maybe it's just Tibouron (sp?) I should direct my disdain for.

# 6 nyj721 @ 03/16/10 11:12 PM
maybe the guys behind this series should be given the keys to ea

# 7 LuGer33 @ 03/16/10 11:20 PM
Great read, and very true.

# 8 H to the Oza @ 03/17/10 12:49 AM
I never noticed how all the cover athletes wear red jerseys

# 9 johnnydangerously @ 03/17/10 10:29 AM
@ H to the Oza

And their teams all start with "C". Odd!

# 10 bowlerguy92 @ 03/17/10 06:17 PM
Accept for the fact that: Chat still hardly works online (three years in a row), you lockup if you idle anywhere in the online section of the game, you don't get credit in ranked games if the team quits even 1 second before the game ends, the "pro shop" sometimes takes minutes to open, and player cards don't unlock correctly online resulting in pointless play working towards nothing. Thanks EA, you guys do provide great support.

# 11 acarrero @ 03/20/10 01:42 PM
EA's Fight Night 4 also had great post-release support. I have not played the NHL series, but Fight Night had numerous patches where they clearly listened to the OS community making changes to gameplay, they had numerous add-ons (like new boxers, though you had to pay for most), and included features like boxershare which added to the experience. EA is doing a good job of post-release support with some of its titles and it's a great new thing for gaming.

# 12 jyoung @ 03/20/10 06:47 PM
I believe Fight Night was an EA Canada project, too.

The Canada teams seem to do the best out of all the EA dev. groups.

# 13 Headstyle77 @ 03/23/10 12:48 PM
Let's not be such fanboys...

They are doing OK at best...They need to do a better job for Multiplayer/OTP. Finding a game is horrible, picking your position is horrible. Playing with glitchers is horrible. Taking an F for stats because your goalie is helpin the other team boost is completely unacceptable. Yeah, they've made improvements, but it's not like it's without many VERY BAD flaws. You people need to stop stroking their ego, say thank you, and ask for more. Next year, they should focus exclusively on Online. The ability for quitters, glitchers, goalie boosters needs to stop, or at least ban them from OTP if they are doing it. The game has MAJOR flaws...they only way to truly enjoy it, is to ensure you play with guys who stand for the same things I just pointed out, on both sides of the puck too. A cheating club/player completely ruins the aspect of ranked games. Attributes are pointless, as it seems somebody always figures out a way to 'Juice' their Online Attributes, making them nearly invincible to stop, no matter how good/skilled you are. Fix your game EA.

# 14 khaldrogo76 @ 04/08/10 02:05 PM
@ headstyle...agree! the wrist shot glitch is ruining Community and Club play; I saw the same shot work for 8 goals in one period the other night, c'mon!!!!!!!

# 15 Araxen @ 04/30/10 08:54 PM
NHL 10 is the best sports game on the market by far and I remember the days when the NHL series was horrible for those few years. I'm very glad the series has turned it around. I can't wait for NHL 11!

# 16 dickey1331 @ 05/02/10 07:58 PM
I agree I played the earlier NHLs and thought they werent very good but now this game really is one of the top sports games out there. I have really enjoyed NHL 10 and is a good improvment from NHL 09.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.