Home
Feature Article
Does MLB 10: The Show Belong in the Text-Sim Hall of Fame?

MLB 10: The Show is one of the most impressive looking sports games ever made. Stadiums are re-created almost to perfection, player models look nearly identical to their real-life counterparts and the game of baseball’s little nuances are captured throughout each game. The gameplay is also refreshingly realistic. You are rewarded for working the count while batting and punished if you do not mix up your pitches on the mound.

Simply put, The Show deserves most of the praise it gets. But how does the game stack up as a text sim? Text simmers are notoriously finicky and often nerdy. That deadly combination makes text simmers some of the most critical and hard to please gamers out there. Text simmers need realism, customization and screens that are easy to navigate. If we do not have those three core elements, our attention span shrinks exponentially.

That said, can baseball text simmers add The Show to the baseball text sim hall of fame? Does it fit in with greats like Out of the Park Baseball, Strat-o-Matic and Diamond Mind?

Realism

I have simmed through 10 seasons in two different franchises to test The Show's statistical accuracy, and I have been pleasantly surprised. I have not discovered glaring statistical oddities such as a player hitting 85 home runs or a pitcher compiling 20 complete games. Overall team and league totals in most major statistical categories are a little off when compared to real life, but it is not noticeable unless you are a text-sim nerd like me.

I was also happy with the minor-league system, drafting, player progression and injury rates. However, I am a little unsure how the game sims minor-league games. Many prospects seemed to underperform in the minors, which makes me wonder if the game sees all the players as major leaguers, checks their ratings and then sims accordingly. Then again, prospects still progressed realistically, so the low-minors stats are really not that big of a deal as long as you monitor progression.

If I had to complain about the game’s realism, it would probably have to be in the trading department. CPU trades happen too often for my liking and sometimes a team’s trading strategy would never happen in reality. For example, in the first season of one of my franchises, the Red Sox traded Buchholz, Lester, Beckett and Ortiz. They got good value in return, but in reality, the Red Sox would never blow up their pitching staff and trade Big Papi in the same season. Also, the Yankees traded Jeter during the first season of both of my franchises. They got a couple of good prospects in return, but in reality, the Royals will win the World Series before the Yankees trade Jeter. Certain players on certain teams need to be untouchable as long as they remain productive. You can remedy the trade situation by taking control of all 30 teams if you wish.

I have not tried playing the game in manager mode yet, but it looks intriguing. Front Office Manager attempted to capture the realism of a text sim while adding a graphical element. It failed miserably. If manager mode puts out the same realistic numbers that it did in sim mode, watching games play out will be a treat.

Customization

As pleasantly surprised as I was by The Show's statistical accuracy, I was equally disappointed by the lack of customization options. However, the more I thought about it, the less disappointed I was. Unlike Out of the Park Baseball, you cannot customize The Show exactly how you want to play it. There are no options for realignment, custom-league structures or era settings. You are pretty much stuck playing the modern-day version of baseball.

However, the more I played the game, the more I realized this was not such a bad thing. I doubt the game designers had text simmers on the top of their list of market demographics they needed to please. A good amount of time obviously has gone into developing both regular and Road to the Show modes and the designers have done a solid job with both. Perhaps down the road more customization options can be added to grow the game even further.

Navigation

I did not have high expectations in the navigation area, but ended up being impressed. Menus on console sports games are often clunky and require multiple button presses to accomplish a few simple tasks. For the most part, menus in The Show proved to be very functional.

Setting your lineups against left-handed pitchers and right-handed pitchers with or without a DH could use a little tweaking. Instead of having to hit L1 or R1 to toggle between the aforementioned lineup options, why not try to get them all on one screen? It might require eliminating player photos, but it would mean we could see all of our lineups on one screen without having to toggle back and forth between different screens to see if we had Justin Morneau hitting fourth or fifth against right-handed pitchers with a DH.

Final Thoughts

In the eyes of this text simmer, The Show gets a lot of things right. While not as strong as Out of the Park Baseball or Strat-o-Matic , the sim engine produces fairly realistic statistics and results. Trades need some tweaking, but trading is far from broken and may actually appeal to gamers who like a lot of player movement. The stats produced by The Show really shine when compared to other console sports titles. For example, Madden's sim engine produces several players with 30-plus sacks or over 2,000 yards rushing. You won’t find any such absurdities in The Show.

The Show's menus are also easy to navigate, making the sometimes mundane tasks of carrying out daily tasks and transactions relatively painless for a console title. While the lack of customization hurts, you get over it pretty quick and start crossing your fingers that more customization will be included in future versions.

In the end, The Show does not belong in the baseball text sim hall of fame. However, as the years go by and (hopefully) improvements are made, voters may one day enshrine The Show as the first console title next to mainstays like Out of the Park, Strat-o-Matic and Diamond Mind.

MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jbaldwin311 @ 03/17/10 06:23 PM
No, and I'm kinda confused why this would be mentioned (even after reading)

I buy THE SHOW and OOTP every year. They both entertain me in different ways.

The Show- Actual gameplay, with real at bats..basically like playing a real baseball game. No TEXT SIM fill whatsoever.

OOTP- For one it is a TEXT SIM and the reason I play it is because of the depth of its option as a owner.

The two game are completely different play styles and are good in their own rights but should not be compared or put into the same type of game. (outside of both being a baseball game)

# 2 Buckeyes_Doc @ 03/17/10 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaldwin311
No, and I'm kinda confused why this would be mentioned (even after reading)

I buy THE SHOW and OOTP every year. They both entertain me in different ways. The Show isn't a text-sim therefore it would make absolutely zero sense to place it in the text-sim hall of fame.

The Show- Actual gameplay, with real at bats..basically like playing a real baseball game. No TEXT SIM fill whatsoever.

OOTP- For one it is a TEXT SIM and the reason I play it is because of the depth of its option as a owner.

The two game are completely different play styles and are good in their own rights but should not be compared or put into the same type of game. (outside of both being a baseball game)
Agreed. Completely different games. The Show is not a text-sim game therefore it would make absolutely zero sense to be put in the text-sim hall of fame.

# 3 Dreifort @ 03/17/10 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbently
Agreed. Completely different games. The Show is not a text-sim game therefore it would make absolutely zero sense to be put in the text-sim hall of fame.

The Show shouldn't even be considered as a great "Sim" regardless text or graphics.

While the Show posses the ability to sim games or simulate baseball, it is far from any of the more reliable baseball sims when it comes to accurate statistical totals. The Show has sim features built upon a FP game system.

# 4 SoxFan01605 @ 03/17/10 07:08 PM
Definitely not. I also don't think it will be any time in the foreseeable future. There is just so much you can do on a console to push the visuals and game play along with the ridiculously deep stats and customization of an OOTP.

The Show belongs at or near the top of console baseball game HOF (and sports games as a whole for that matter), but it doesn't even belong in the same league as a text sim. In fact, in terms of stats and customization, there are other console games that have had The Show beat.

It does offer a great balance though and if the two concepts ever do meet to such a large extent, I will cease to exist outside of my home gaming area.

# 5 Bahnzo @ 03/17/10 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
That said, can baseball text simmers add The Show to the baseball text sim hall of fame?
Ummm.....No.

You guys hurting for story ideas?

# 6 ehh @ 03/18/10 12:16 AM
Hmm, this article is a hell of a head scratcher. Makes no sense, The Show isn't a text sim. Is Madden getting inducted into the basketball video game Hall of Fame next?

# 7 JT30 @ 03/18/10 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoman

Ragardless of what you think, The Show is considered a sim video game.
It is? Please explain.

# 8 Bahnzo @ 03/18/10 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srudoff
Tomorrow's story, can OOTP be added to the graphically based baseball game hall of fame!

Friday - How does the Show stack up against other first person shooters?
Macaroni and cheese.....can it be considered as good as steak?
Toyota Camary? Is it as cool as a Ferrari?

etc...add your own absurd comparisons.

# 9 mwolin @ 03/18/10 02:36 AM
I dont think its such a crazy question. A combination of OOTP and MLB would be close to the perfect simulator; and its clearly achievable. Some of us strive for complete realism and part of that is the watching rather than simply imagining what is going on. Text sim presentations are just boring, just a few steps above reading a spread sheet. What they do is great, but they are abstract and removed from the game. The sole exception is Football Manager which is in many ways the complete package. Ironically 2k10 has the best presentation I have seen in a sports game and much more statistical depth than the Show, it's just that the game engine is poor and thus the stats rendered and reported are virtually meaningless.

So yes, text sims have developed a devoted niche and they are great at what the do. Imagine if they had the presentation of a console sports game. There have been a few attempts, such as head coach, and football manager. Let's hope baseball can pull it off; is there a market?

# 10 Buckeyes_Doc @ 03/18/10 07:44 AM
Quote:
Tomorrow's story, can OOTP be added to the graphically based baseball game hall of fame!

I think the Show has better maps then MW2 and Bad Company 2. Fenway Park is awesome. I love noob toobing (the hot dog machine they use to launch hot dogs into the stands) off the Green Monster. Oh and don't even get me started on all those guys who camp in the bullpen at Great American Ballpark.

I do wish the Show had a wide variety of weapons though. A 100 mph fastball, hot dogs, peanuts, baseball bat, and a beachball just doesn't cut it for a FPS.

# 11 PurdueBrad @ 03/18/10 07:49 AM
I agree with most of the above who say that it doesn't belong in the text sim conversation.

The other reason I find this to be a head scratcher is that it seems like a step backward from '09 in terms of overall quality. Of the two, '09 would be more worthy of a HOF nod then '10, at least at this point (yes, I know there's a patch coming today).

# 12 findinghomer @ 03/18/10 08:10 AM
not even honorable mention. Even if the show were a text sim, it would fail. Not even close. Have you played a text sim? They are unbelievably realistic and very very in depth. Closest to real baseball managemen you could get.

# 13 NAFBUC @ 03/18/10 08:51 AM
The one area that The Show is lacking: STATS!!!

Until they improve the stat overlays, historical stats and boxscore, I would not even consider the text sim angle.

# 14 Two Seamer @ 03/18/10 09:48 AM
Quote:
+1

# 15 findinghomer @ 03/18/10 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFBUC
The one area that The Show is lacking: STATS!!!

Until they improve the stat overlays, historical stats and boxscore, I would not even consider the text sim angle.

totally agree. even the layout of those stats, to be presented more realistic, like sim games. but honestly since sim games are ran on CPU they have ALOT more space avail, and the fact graphics dont consume any space , text sims have tooooooons more room to add stats/ history.

i dont think a console games will ever compete to this standard. baseball video games are meant for human skill interaction, sims are based on baseball wits and knowledge. i think we are lucky console games have come as far as it has franchise wise.

# 16 findinghomer @ 03/18/10 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolin
Text sim presentations are just boring, just a few steps above reading a spread sheet.
depends on how you play them. try playing an ootpb online league. its very appealing. personally i even like "playing" out texts sims, but it does get a bit easy playing vs ai. but building a franchise against human owners in 10 plus years is really fun, and challenging.

# 17 findinghomer @ 03/18/10 08:44 PM
Quote:
uhhhh what part of mlb would make this combination the perfect SIMULATOR?

i think what you meant to say was that a combination of these two would make this the perfect baseball game - mlb brings nothing to the table that ootp doesn't cover and do better from a simulation stand point

would imagaine he meant graphics/gameplay of the show , mixed with ootpb sim, progression, and stat tracking

# 18 HiNeighbor @ 03/18/10 10:36 PM
I noticed a pretty glaring oddity when simming a few seasons in Franchise. In one season, I had a pitcher win the league MVP award but not the Cy Young. How would this be possible? He's the best player in the league, but not the best pitcher? This made absolutely no sense to me.

# 19 teebee @ 03/19/10 09:17 AM
NEEEERDS

# 20 KingV2k3 @ 03/19/10 09:46 AM
Quote:
Regardless, this is VERY funny...

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.