Home
Feature Article
NBA Draft Analysis: Top Five Picks
With the NBA Draft in the rear-view mirror and NBA Summer League action now in full swing, it seems like a good time to start talking about rookie ratings in next year's NBA titles. We plan on doling out some of these predictions over a period of time, but since many people called the 2010 NBA Draft a "five-player Draft," it only seems right to start with the top five picks.

1. Washington Wizards – John Wall

Washington lucked out in the Lottery and got the opportunity to select Wall in the Draft, which in turn will make the Wiz a popular team to start a franchise with next year. With Wall at the head of the rebuilding process, the Wiz will be the ideal candidate for the yearly "team to rebuild" award. Though Wall should not be rated as high as some may think -- remember to consider his sub-par set jumper and the whole turnover-prone thing he has going on -- he will still be the focal point on offense. Rating prediction: 75.

2. Philadelphia 76ers – Evan Turner

Turner was the best college player last season, but he was still somewhat overshadowed by Wall. Either way, Philly is not complaining. This team will be another popular rebuilding team in next year's NBA titles. With Turner being similar to Iggy, both in reality and fantasy, there is no need for both to be on the team. Iggy’s rating should also be in the low 80s, which means he is a nice asset that could net you a nice big to play alongside a terrible big -- assuming you choose to trade Iggy before at least trying to make the combo work. Turner should instantly be able to drive to the hole or pull up when he needs too. With Jrue Holiday in the backcourt with Turner, the young guard duo will be an easy choice to play with next year. Rating prediction: 76.

3. New Jersey Nets – Derrick Favors

Everyone knows the Nets tanked this season to land Wall as a possible recruiting chip for LeBron. However, that plan obviously did not work out, and they ended up with Favors instead. Now, Favors is in no way a bad consolation prize, but he is raw at this point. With that in mind, Favors probably won't be an impact guy next year, but he will be a solid role player. Playing alongside a legit true center will help him get open looks and easy buckets, but those jump shots won’t fall very easily. With so many scoring options already, Favors won’t be at the top of the totem pole, but defensively he should be a nice fit with his athletic skill set. Rating prediction: 71.

4. Minnesota Timberwolves – Wesley Johnson

The one team that did not crave Wall still missed out on the player they truly wanted, i.e. Evan Turner. Wes Johnson was not too far back on their Draft board, but he does not have the overall ability of an Evan Turner. Johnson also still seems a bit raw even after coming out as a 22-year-old junior. He did have an amazing junior year, but he still vanished at points. His athleticism will help him succeed in the game, but he will probably never be a star. Playing on a team like this, though, he will get 15-20 shots a game -- assuming Corey Brewer’s offense is terrible, which is the safest assumption I have ever made. While Wes may not be able to drive to the basket much because his handle is not that great, he will still drain open jumpers. Rating prediction: 68.

5. Sacramento Kings – DeMarcus Cousins

Sactown may have been handed the biggest steal of the Draft. I know a top-five pick does not sound like a steal, but if Cousins had not had questions about his attitude going into the NBA Draft, he would have been the one player who could have trumped Wall as the number one overall selection. Still, Cousins should be able to contribute right away and, luckily enough, questions about a player's motor do not really translate to a video game. With Dalembert being the only other competition at center on the roster, a solid 20 minutes a night is not a long shot for Cousins -- and this is assuming Cousins does not start at power forward alongside Dalembert or starts over him (both possibilities). Plus, with Carl Landry and Jason Thompson also in the mix, the group of forwards in Sactown seems like it could easily be one of the best in video game land next year. Cousins needs to improve his jump shot, but in the paint you should be getting at least a double-double out of the guy even if he starts on the bench. Simply put, Tyreke Evans just found his second in command. Rating prediction: 78.

NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 PH1LLYSFINEST13 @ 07/07/10 10:12 AM
Tellin Philly to trade Iguodala.LOL. Iguodala is a 3 Turner is a 2 who needs the ball i his hands. Let them play a game together before you try and trade Iguodala , because Iguodala is averaging 19 5 n 5 and thats not somethin you just throw out in a trade. Only thing realy holdin us back is elton brands big contract. On top of that , We are running a small lineup with Thaddeus at the 4 and Brand at the 5 so Iguodala is still a key piece. end rant.

# 2 Phreezy P @ 07/07/10 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH1LLYSFINEST13
Tellin Philly to trade Iguodala.LOL. Iguodala is a 3 Turner is a 2 who needs the ball i his hands. Let them play a game together before you try and trade Iguodala , because Iguodala is averaging 19 5 n 5 and thats not somethin you just throw out in a trade. Only thing realy holdin us back is elton brands big contract. On top of that , We are running a small lineup with Thaddeus at the 4 and Brand at the 5 so Iguodala is still a key piece. end rant.
Exactly. But I dont agree with cousins, because he won't be a 78 off the bat.

# 3 jeebs9 @ 07/07/10 12:47 PM
Cousins needs to prove him big time in camp. He'll be going against PF who been playing in the league for a while.

# 4 auau465121 @ 07/07/10 01:24 PM
As soon as I get 2k11 I'm starting a franchinse with the wizards

# 5 Redskinsfan26 @ 07/07/10 02:35 PM
there is a reason wall was picked first... He had by far the most talent in the draft, so tell me y u rate him third out of the top 5

# 6 J_Posse @ 07/07/10 03:15 PM
DeMarcus Cousins isn't deserving of a 78 rating. That sort of rating would make him a near all-star caliber player and close to a top 10 player at his position. There have been only three guys that deserved ratings that high over the last two decades, Shaquille, Tim and LeBron, and they were all selected #1 overall.

He's very good at scoring inside, especially using his bulk and strength, but does he possess refined post moves or a jumpshot? Is he a willing and effective passer? And can he defend players that are his size or that are quicker than him?

He's got a lot of questions to answer at the pro level before he deserves a rating so high.

# 7 jeebs9 @ 07/07/10 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
DeMarcus Cousins isn't deserving of a 78 rating. That sort of rating would make him a near all-star caliber player and close to a top 10 player at his position. There have been only three guys that deserved ratings that high over the last two decades, Shaquille, Tim and LeBron, and they were all selected #1 overall.

He's very good at scoring inside, especially using his bulk and strength, but does he possess refined post moves or a jumpshot? Is he a willing and effective passer? And can he defend players that are his size or that are quicker than him?

He's got a lot of questions to answer at the pro level before he deserves a rating so high.
^Exactly....^

# 8 RayAllen20 @ 07/07/10 04:09 PM
I'd go...

John Wall 75
Evan Turner 73
Derrick Favors 70
Wesley Johnson 72
DeMarcus Cousins 73

But then again you should do it attribute by attribute..

# 9 DGMikeBarker @ 07/07/10 04:41 PM
Favors dominated Cousins in high school. I seen the game on ESPN2.

# 10 keshunleon @ 07/07/10 07:23 PM
John Wall 76
Evan Turner 77
Derrick Favors 70
Wesley Johnson 72
DeMarcus Cousins 74

Turner will be rated higher because he is an all around player.

# 11 Acim1234 @ 07/07/10 07:55 PM
John Wall 72 - Jumpshot a big part of rating. Wall will have highest potential

Evan Turner 76 - The best all-around player at the moment. High potential

Derrick Favors 69- High potential. Raw on offense

Wesley Johnson 71- Good all-around. Good potential.

DeMarcus Cousins 73- Low defense because he doesn't try. Good potential

# 12 OGKing @ 07/07/10 08:02 PM
So what if favors dominated cousins in high school, that's telling us a whole lot! (Sarcasm)

# 13 Game4fun @ 07/08/10 02:44 AM
I predict Wes Johnson to play better then what you think. Nice read.

# 14 the croz 1027 @ 07/08/10 09:38 AM
Funny to see how his ratings played out. Very similar to Hollingers PER which have Cousins as best player in draft class followed by Turner then Wall.

# 15 adub88 @ 07/15/10 12:39 PM
I don't care what anyone says, Cousins is going to be a beast, Summer League or not, the kid is just too nice. To have the footwork he has at 19 is amazing. I think a 75 rating is a good place to start for him.

KINGS 4 LIFE

# 16 13 @ 07/15/10 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game4fun
I predict Wes Johnson to play better then what you think. Nice read.
Yeah, I definitely think Wes will do good. For one he's in Minnesota, so it wouldn't be too hard anyways..

And second, once he injured his hand last year he never really was the same during the season. You can't really say he "vanished"

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.