Home
Feature Article
Dump N' Cheese: Most Wanted Additions to EASHL
There is less than a month to go until NHL 11 is unleashed upon us like a storm of video game goodness, soaking us in new physics and leaving us breathless in its wake.

EA has dropped hints and facts of new game modes and improvements to the old ones, but there is no news yet on the game mode that has rocked my world and a lot of other people's as well: the EASHL.

The EASHL is a wonderful online game mode, but as always, there is room for improvement. Fortunately, people playing in the EASHL are very vocal on forums all over the Internet, and it seems like developers are out there reading our rants and wish lists.

So let's have a look at the top three most wanted improvements for the EASHL, and whether any details have been released about them.

EASHL Practice Mode (Confirmed, no details yet)

Let's face it, it gets quite boring when you're waiting for your team members to show up. You know there's not enough time to go and play a random game of OTP, but sitting in a game room doing nothing is something most of us would like to replace with something more meaningful.

There's also the simple fact that it would be nice to actually practice with your team. After all, unless you have 12 people or more in your club, it is difficult to practice certain scenarios within a game in a non-competitive way.

With the practice mode in place, hopefully we can practice power-play formations, odd-man rushes, forechecking and just basic team tactics in different scenarios.

This practice environment would also be an ideal place to test out different player types and witness how different boosts affect your player. Personally, I want to repeatedly check the left winger on my team because of his annoying dangling skills -- I just want to see how far that little punk will fly.

Goalies would benefit from practice mode as well. Practicing against breakaways, cross creases, one-timers or just warming up before the games start would help immensely.

I can't wait to get more info on this part of the game because I am obsessed with player types and stats. I will be spending many, many hours messing around with my Be a Pro character. I just hope that a single player can access this feature alone.

Leagues and Matchmaking (No details yet)

The EASHL is split into two leagues, Pro and Casual, yet at the moment there are no differences between the two leagues. They both have the same settings and same minimum players required. In theory, the league you choose is an expression of how serious you are about the EASHL. In reality, there are Casual teams who play just as seriously as Pro teams.

And the strangest thing is that it is a common occurrence for teams from different leagues to end up playing against each other in random games. So one can even wonder why there are separate leagues in the first place.

In the refined and improved league system that is surely just around the corner, gamers are pushing for a Pro league where AI is not involved. In other words, the games would be exclusively six-on-six.

For the Casual league where the AI might be involved, an equal teams matchmaking system is a top-three wish -- two-on-two, three-on-three, four-on-four etc. This way games would be more fair. At the moment, it's not uncommon for a five-man squad to be matched against a team of two players. Sometimes it takes a long time to find a game, so when you finally find a game, it would be nice if it was actually a balanced one -- same number of players, same region and same league.

One acceptable option for the leagues might be that your club can participate in both leagues at the same time. If you play a six-on-six game, it would register in the Pro league rankings, while all the other games would count as Casual games.

Tracking and Flagging (DNF percentage confirmed)

People would like to know whom they are playing against -- teams and players alike. At the moment, there is no way to know if you're playing a top-10 team or just a bunch of casual gamers. While you're picking positions, it would be nice to see the opposing team's record and ranking, as well as the individual did not finish (DNF) percentages for the players you're facing.

There should also be a mechanic to report teams that glitch or play in a manner that is unsportsmanlike. It would be nice if EA would follow-up reports on teams that don't play fair, but even a system where you could give the teams a plus-minus flag would be a nice start.

Even a thumbs up/thumbs down system would be good enough for me. Thumbs up for a team you had fun playing against, thumbs down for a team that abuses game mechanics or plays in a way not suited for the EASHL.

Anything that would be an indicator of how the team plays would be a welcome addition.

What made you crazy this year while playing EASHL? What is on your EASHL wish list?
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Qb @ 08/13/10 02:42 PM
Definitely some of the top issues brought up at the community event in May. There are many changes to the EASHL in response to the community's requests... none of which I am at liberty to discuss at this time. Man, I'm almost as tired of saying that as you guys must be of hearing it!

# 2 Lubey @ 08/13/10 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Definitely some of the top issues brought up at the community event in May. There are many changes to the EASHL in response to the community's requests... none of which I am at liberty to discuss at this time. Man, I'm almost as tired of saying that as you guys must be of hearing it!

Doubt it!

# 3 steez3 @ 08/13/10 03:38 PM
please please please dont have that booster pack stuff...I hated seeing dudes with gold skates and sticks and spider helmets! I dont even have a issue with the add ons and paying the money because thats where gaming is going. but the god awful style of them all.

# 4 Qb @ 08/13/10 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubey
Doubt it!
HA! Perfect emoticon choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steez3
please please please dont have that booster pack stuff...I hated seeing dudes with gold skates and sticks and spider helmets! I dont even have a issue with the add ons and paying the money because thats where gaming is going. but the god awful style of them all.
EA already said no more "clown gear" in NHL11. Boosts are still in, but they are independent of equipment, all of which will be authentic gear (aside from the GS pre-order which looks real anyways).

# 5 steez3 @ 08/13/10 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
HA! Perfect emoticon choice!

EA already said no more "clown gear" in NHL11. Boosts are still in, but they are independent of equipment, all of which will be authentic gear (aside from the GS pre-order which looks real anyways).
very nice, thanks for the info!

# 6 KillHammer @ 08/13/10 06:35 PM
I really wish they would get rid of pausing completely in OTP games.

It would also be cool if you could.
-Join games late, and jump on the ice after the next whistle.
-Name the CPU players on your team.
-customize your arena.

# 7 ChitownFan526 @ 08/13/10 07:09 PM
I like the idea of being able to flag teams as unsportsmanlike. I am a bit concerned of this mechanic being abused by teams that simply get beat by a better team, however I would think EA would be looking at game data before making any decisions, so hopefully the abuse won't be an issue.

My only real gripe with the EASHL is the AI, it's just pretty weak overall. Here's hoping it's been tuned a bit to be more aggressive in shooting the puck, NOT always passing to a human teammate two feet away from them, and actually taking out the guy who's about to receive a cross-crease pass.

Wouldn't mind seeing adaptive goalie AI, in terms of positioning and especially learning shot tendencies. If a guy is going to skate across the middle and shoot to one side of the net every time, have the goalie adjust it's positioning when the skater makes his cut.

# 8 BaylorBearBryant @ 08/13/10 07:14 PM
For the love of god, please kick us back to the locker room during intermissions so we can chat with our teammates.

# 9 voodoo_magic @ 08/13/10 10:44 PM
At the very least let us flag teams for when we match up against them in the future. With the ability to add a green flag or something when we play a clean team.
From my teams perspective it would be great if you could flag the glitcher teams so you don't even match up with them.
Can't have top teams adding other top teams to their list so they can win the season by noob hunting so maybe top 20 or 50 can't avoid matching with teams above them.

# 10 b3organ @ 08/14/10 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownFan526
My only real gripe with the EASHL is the AI, it's just pretty weak overall. Here's hoping it's been tuned a bit to be more aggressive in shooting the puck, NOT always passing to a human teammate two feet away from them, and actually taking out the guy who's about to receive a cross-crease pass.

Wouldn't mind seeing adaptive goalie AI, in terms of positioning and especially learning shot tendencies. If a guy is going to skate across the middle and shoot to one side of the net every time, have the goalie adjust it's positioning when the skater makes his cut.
I nearly totally agree with ChitownFan. That's true what you said but I also long for more consistent AI. In some games CPU-players are "on fire" and in some games not. Especially playing of cpu-goalies tends to alternate.

This is not my idea (from a Finnish forum member) but I'm also in favor of those 6vs6-games so I wouldn't mind if all the cpu-players would be dumb as duck and not able to do nearly anything on ice. That would lead that people wouldn't want to play with those cpu-players at all. On the other hand that league definition that was proposed would do the trick. A league with no AI,please.

# 11 kerosene31 @ 08/14/10 06:33 PM
Sadly, I have no positive expectations going into the EASHL. No matter what EA does, people will find a way to exploit, glitch and cheese their way to victory.

The entire system is set up to cater to boosters and glitchers. The casual player stands no chance for a level playing field.

I'll buy the game for the single player experience and if the EASHL isn't a total cheese league a month in, that's just a bonus.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.