Home
Feature Article
Revisiting the Top Five NBA Draft Picks with NBA 2K11
Four months ago I decided to do my best and show off my ability to look into the future by predicting the NBA 2K11 ratings for the top five picks in the NBA Draft. Today I will go back and see exactly how accurate -- or inaccurate -- I really was.

1. Washington Wizards – John Wall
Predicted Rating: 75
Actual Rating: 81
Difference: +6

I was only off by six points, which isn’t that bad. OK, maybe it is, but still I had a gut feeling he wouldn’t be that high. Obviously, Wall is deserving of his rating above 80, and he has already played well enough to bump his rating to an 84. In the game his jump shot is absolutely insane -- it goes in every time you pull up. Plus his speed is fantastic. From one end to the other, Wall deserves his rating -- just maybe not that much credit for his jumper.

2. Philadelphia 76ers – Evan Turner
Predicted Rating: 76
Actual Rating: 76
Difference: 0

Ladies and gentleman, I officially rock. Yes, I was spot on with Turner’s rating. In game Turner is actually somewhat underwhelming. His rating is high based off of his all-around playing ability, but on offense he is lacking. He can hit the open jump shot like most players, but he still misses quite a bit, which reflects the real-life counterpart. He is a fantastic defender and can keep the worst at bay, including D-Wade. Essentially, I think his rating is well deserved because I predicted it, and I like being right. And, I guess he deserves it because he's actually kind of good, too.

3. New Jersey Nets – Derrick Favors
Predicted Rating: 71
Actual Rating: 73
Difference: +2

So close! I barely missed it on this one, but I can’t get them all. Favors is nothing more than a role player in the game. He can rebound OK, but that is mostly it. I have not found much use for him yet, but he is a good player to have to groom into something big. I personally think he should be rated a little lower, but the 2K guys know what they’re talking about, at least most of the time.

4. Minnesota Timberwolves – Wesley Johnson
Predicted Rating: 68
Actual Rating: 73
Difference: +5

I was honestly shocked when the 73 rating hit my Xbox. Wes was the rawest player coming out of the top five, but he still managed a very high rating from a 2K team that generally gives low ratings out to rookies. Either way Wes is a beast in 2K11. His jump shot rivals most in the game, and he can knock down contested treys like it's nothing. If anything his rating seems a little low for how good he is in the game.

5. Sacramento Kings – DeMarcus Cousins
Ratings Prediction: 78
Actual Rating: 70
Difference: -8

The boldest prediction of the top five turned out to be the dumbest one as well. Cousins was rated eight points lower than my original prediction. Honestly, “Run” DMC should have been rated higher in the retail version. Cousins had all the hype and talent in the world to earn a high rating, but his drop to number five must have hurt him in 2K’s eyes. Offensively, Cousins is not too sharp in the game, but on defense he is stellar. He clogs the lane with his big and bulky body, and he can average at least 10 rebounds a game to go along with one block. He is a very solid big man to build around.

Total Ratings Difference: +5

Missing an even zero by only five points is not too shabby. Maybe I should throw an application 2K’s way and become their ratings guru.

...Hey, anything's possible.

NBA 2K11 Videos